Anyone else watching the track world championships

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
the Madison race is a bit mental :)

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ah, it was far easier to watch at the track. It's quite a spectacle.
    Fantastic day out, only just got home though.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I was offered 2 VIP tickets, however I was supposed to be doing something so refused them, how gutted am I now that the plans got cancelled !!!!
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    OK, idiot question, but why are some Brits (Geraint Thomas for one) cycling in a skinsuit that has the Union Jack on it and the odd Sky logo and others (Chris Hoy) cycling in a drak blue heavily logoed Sky skinsuit?

And then in the team sprint final the two teams were up against each other.

I'm very confused.

:roll:
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    The team pursuit are a bit quick aren't they?
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Coriander wrote:
    OK, idiot question, but why are some Brits (Geraint Thomas for one) cycling in a skinsuit that has the Union Jack on it and the odd Sky logo and others (Chris Hoy) cycling in a drak blue heavily logoed Sky skinsuit?

And then in the team sprint final the two teams were up against each other.

I'm very confused.

:roll:

The Sky+HD team- featuring Chris H, Vicky P and a few others- is a sort of 'team within a team'. The whole British team benefits from the sponsorship dosh, I imagine....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    snooks wrote:

Just a little. I don't know how far off the WR they were, but with more of a carrot (and not having to pass the other team), I reckon they could have gone even faster. Shame I've missed it this year (was at last year's, and it was excellent to watch it live).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Why is there a moped going round the track in front of the riders? I dont really understand track cycling :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why are they not Electric?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ravey1981 wrote:
    Why is there a moped going round the track in front of the riders? I dont really understand track cycling :?

kind of a warm up - keeps a pace before it drops off and all out hostilities commence.
  • ravey1981
    Oh right i see. Why can they not pace themselves until the last 2 laps or whatever it is then?
  • not a clue, I'm a good spectator but no idea about the thinking behind track racing. It'd be a canny job to have a go at tho.
  • Agent57 wrote:
    snooks wrote:

Just a little. I don't know how far off the WR they were, but with more of a carrot (and not having to pass the other team), I reckon they could have gone even faster. Shame I've missed it this year (was at last year's, and it was excellent to watch it live).

About a second off, I think, assuming you're talking about the men - the ladies beat it by a second or two. The atmosphere was brilliant for the second half of the men's final. The GF enjoyed it maybe even more than I did, and now wants us to go to Copenhagen for the Worlds next March! :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    The track event metioned above, with the pace making moped is called Keirin
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Oh right i see. Why can they not pace themselves until the last 2 laps or whatever it is then?

Presumably because no one would want to pace everyone else and it would turn into a mass track stand
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Scalp of the year surely

giteampursuit.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    ravey1981 wrote:

Presumably because no one would want to pace everyone else and it would turn into a mass track stand

Yeh that'll be it in a nutshell, the Keirin would take AGES otherwise, as it is you have a handful of laps once the Durney bike pulls off the track, and by then they are up to pretty much full race speed, so there ain't going to be any trackstanding going on, as the rest of them would be half way round the lap if anyone tried it :lol:

Watched all of the action this weekend, another amazing performance, and am seriously thinking about going to see the main event in Copenhagen next spring :D

My GF has even suggested we might make it into our 10th Anniversary long weekend trip away too :D

My GF is the best 8)

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • attica
    itboffin wrote:
    Scalp of the year surely

giteampursuit.jpg

Not only that but I saw a member of the Spanish Squad RLJ as I was parking up!

Personally, if I'm wearing club kit I try to behave impecably, can't understand why you'd do that in your national colours, I'd be so proud to be wearing them.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • ravey1981
    RLJ ?
  • attica
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    moonio wrote:
    the Madison race is a bit mental :)

Best bit of the event IMHO.
    ravey1981 wrote:

The moped gets the riders up to speed (50kph for men, 40kph for women) by allowing them to slipstream, then it pulls off into the well of the track and the race proper begins with a flying start. It lasts 2.5 laps and is Very Fast (and Very Dangerous) (and hence Very Fun).

FTR: it was the World Cup, not the World Championships...!!
  • ThreeLionsBrian
    ThreeLionsBrian Posts: 134
    edited November 2009
    Inspirational.

I have only been on the velodrome once, it is an experience in itself: but watching the track stars is amazing viewing. A shame to lose events there should be more. Anyway keep it up you're all awesome.
  • If you enjoyed that I'd recommend hopping over to Belgium for some 6-day racing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-day_racing

I went a couple of years ago and it was awesome - the copmpetition is not so pure but there is more beer and frites
    <a>road</a>
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    If you enjoyed that I'd recommend hopping over to Belgium for some 6-day racing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-day_racing

I went a couple of years ago and it was awesome - the copmpetition is not so pure but there is more beer and frites

I'm going to the Saturday racing at the Ghent six-day this year for the second year running. A mate of mine describes it as "a beer festival in a disco with some cycle racing". And if you're in London, a trip to Herne Hill for the Good Friday meet is good fun (unless it rains).