Muc-off?

All-rounder malli
All-rounder malli Posts: 250
edited November 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
If i get muc-off on my discs will it conntaminate my pads?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it can make them feel odd for a bit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • but that will go away yeah?
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648

But surely you'll rinse the muc-off within minutes of spraying it on. I doubt a few minutes of soap would do any harm. I'm not 100% sure but these clean sprays are only mild detergent/degreaser/soapy stuff.

I just use fairy liquid, but some have mentioned it dulling the paintwork - but that doesn't bother me :lol:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

I just use fairy liquid, but some have mentioned it dulling the paintwork - but that doesn't bother me :lol:

one of the worse things to yes as there is lots of salt in there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648

But surely you'll rinse the muc-off within minutes of spraying it on. I doubt a few minutes of soap would do any harm. I'm not 100% sure but these clean sprays are only mild detergent/degreaser/soapy stuff.

I was wondering why I was getting a lot of rust :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • it's just i wanted to clean my discs and didnt want to spend more money on silly spray for discs.

so is fairy liquid a bad idea?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unless you wash it off very thoroughly. I don't use it incase it gets in the frame or fork lowers (magnesium gets eaten by salt very quickly).
  • Fair enough. might just buy some disc brake cleaner
  • i use muck off on everything, then wash it off after 5 mins, then put some brake disc cleaner over all parts of the brake, including caliper and pads, then let it air
  • salt will cause aluminium and magnesium to loose its strenght very quickly
  • Take it from someone who found out to their cost, don't use fairy liquid. :(
  • what happened?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    His hands got all soft, then he went riding and he got terrible blisters :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • :lol:
  • them baby soft hand can be a major hazard on the trails!!

haha is it worth using rubbing alcohol on discs? would be cheaper than muc off i'd guess

I'm a noob to disc brakes and now its getting into winter i'm concerned about the amount of crap getting into my calipers. I ride in the Peaks so can get gritty as hell

any advice on cleaning them?
  • Donnic
    Donnic Posts: 85
    The disc brake specific cleaners are alcohol based; you do the logic :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    don't your discs clean themselves when you use them?
  • If in doubt surley the few quid on brake cleaner is worth it?! I didnt know it dulled the paint work :cry: But it sure gets the Muc-off haha
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    so is fairy liquid a bad idea?

I use washing up liquid to wash cars, motorbikes and pushbikes, and I have been doing for longer than I care to remember. I'm still waiting for all the aluminium and magnesium bits to turn to powder and the windows to fall out of my car.

Most so called dedicated "bike cleaners" are a con, pure and simple. But I must confess that Muc Off does actually work, although I refuse to pay for it. I can get it for free though. But I'm not telling you how.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I always use washing up liquid to clean my bike, not much though as you only need a small amount! Haven't had any issues yet after 2 years of pretty regular fortnightly cleaning. In fairness I don't leave it on the bike, rinse it off pretty quick and the paint-work was already a matt black finish so I haven't noticed any dulling.

It works excellently in the chain-scrubber too, again I rinse the chain thoroughly and then air-dry it in-doors before re-lubing it.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you want to buy a "proper" bike cleaner then Fenwicks is the way to go, FS1 diluted 10:1 is basically as good as Muc Off and costs about 1/10th as much.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    dave_hill wrote:
    I can get it for free though. But I'm not telling you how.

pink-cow-1.jpg

????

I use Hope Sh1t Shifter, works for me. Don't have a problem with discs getting mucky really, sometimes give the calipers a good scrub out with a brush and the cleaner. Rinse it off fairly quickly though.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • don't your discs clean themselves when you use them?

i want to clean the bits that the pads don't touch
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    stumpyjon wrote:
    pink-cow-1.jpg

WHAT??? :shock:

FFS Jon, you need to stop drinking Toilet Duck...I know it passes the long winter evening in Weir but seriously dude....
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Shampoo! Garnier fructis and hot water. Wouldn't use it on brakes but is just dandy on everything else.