Mugged on the bike

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
No not me

My mate told me yesterday about his boss who was cycling along happily through Canning Town area, a motorcylce came up from behind and knocked him off, next thing he knows he's being punched and kicked and his wallet and bag are taken and they drive off, he didn't get the number plate or anything and the police have been informed however much that'll help

Be careful out there people
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Clever Pun wrote:
    No not me

My mate told me yesterday about his boss who was cycling along happily through Canning Town area, a motorcylce came up from behind and knocked him off, next thing he knows he's being punched and kicked and his wallet and bag are taken and they drive off, he didn't get the number plate or anything and the police have been informed however much that'll help

Be careful out there people

SCARY times
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • That, CP, is horrific! Sympathy to your mate.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    A work colleague was cycling home along the Lancaster-Morecambe shared use path last year, when he got pushed off his bike by a passing ned or two, and punched. They tried to nick his bike, but he put up enough of a struggle that they gave up and legged it.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yep cycling around that part of London is not advisable, I lived there for a few years bars on the windows, burnt out cars etc etc etc

Put it this way I never just popped into the local for a swift one.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :shock:

People like this should replace the mice in the labs.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    that is awful!!! Never heard of that happening around Cambridge thanks goodness.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    People like this should replace the mice in the labs.

They're probably not bright enough to pass the entry requirements.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • I've heard this before with EXACTLY the same modus operandi - possibly an urban myth??
    <a>road</a>
  • I've heard this before with EXACTLY the same modus operandi - possibly an urban myth??

Not if this is to be believed

http://www.londonfgss.com/thread32172.html
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Bloody hell spent a long commuting through Canning Town. Went from the A13 flyover out to Woolwich Foot Tunnel.

Is not the nicest place in the world by far.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Then there's this:

Cyclist hurt in racist attack
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/8333628.stm

Scary. A non-white female friend of mine cycles in that area.
    I've heard this before with EXACTLY the same modus operandi - possibly an urban myth??

it was my friends boss... only 1 degree of separation.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • OK , sounds like it's for real. Stay safe out there dudes
    <a>road</a>
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    northstar wrote:
    I've heard this before with EXACTLY the same modus operandi - possibly an urban myth??

Not if this is to be believed

http://www.londonfgss.com/thread32172.html

Yeah I've heard of people being mugged for their bikes before. A friend of a friend and her boyfriend were both knocked off their bikes and both bikes nicked somewhere up in Islington area a couple of years ago. I think the usual way this is accomplished is by walking out in front of the cyclist(s) from the pavement/between traffic, cyclist slows or stops and others come up from behind, knock the cyclist over and steal bike.

Same thing happened to a guy I know in my running club who had a Brompton, someone/couple of people walked out in road ahead, he slowed, then felt someone grab his bike from behind.

I suppose this is 1 benefit to riding along main roads, it's more likely to happen along quieter residential/side roads where people can get in front of you.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267

Why do you think it is uncommon that two out of 61 million people have been pushed off there bike and mugged?
  • Yeah, there was something in the news a couple of years ago about the same thing happening, I seem to recall a messenger bag was taken from someone as they cycled along by a moped passenger or something, leaving the cyclist in a heap on the road, as you'd expect.

Not much you can do to prepare yourself for that sort of thing, really.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Happened to a friend of mine while she was cycling on the Regent's towpath near Islington a couple of years ago. No motorbike involved, but two guys knocked her off her bike, stamped on her knee and stole her paniers. Sadly her wedding ring was inside one of them. It is all horrible stuff.
  • Yeah, there was something in the news a couple of years ago about the same thing happening, I seem to recall a messenger bag was taken from someone as they cycled along by a moped passenger or something, leaving the cyclist in a heap on the road, as you'd expect.

Not much you can do to prepare yourself for that sort of thing, really.

Bag with a chest strap, at least then it doesn't come off you maybe?
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Never fear... London has a new helmetted crusader.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ttack.html
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • In the daily mail no less.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    To the OP, I am sorry to hear about your mate there. That is bad news and bad days.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)