Obivious rear mech & CT C/set question of the day

broachboy
broachboy Posts: 429
edited October 2009 in Workshop
:oops: I know that this question may have already been asked 700 times and I mangaed to miss them all and can't find any search results but ....

I have brought myself a compact chainset and BB for my roadie and over the winter months will install the items - but I just read on the net that you need to run a medium cage rear mech with a compact chainset , is this correct ?

I was hoping to get away with my short cage Centaur :?
Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The internet is full of bollox.

Your short cage will be fine.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    As long as your cassette isn't too wide a range, you'll be okay. I have compacts with 12/25 cassettes on two bikes and use short cage mechs no problem.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • broachboy
    broachboy Posts: 429
    Many thanks guys :wink:

I thought as much :D
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have used a 12-27 rear, with a compact, no problems (DA rear mech).
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the only time i have heard it stated is campag compact with 13-29 cassette - although I have also heard you can get away with a short cage for that combo too if you don't use the 'extreme' gear end (i.e. 50x29 or 34x13)
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    I occasionally run a campag compact and short-cage setup with 13-29 (usually I run 12-25). It works absolutely fine, albeit you have you to screw (or unscrew, can never remember which way round it is!) the clearance screw to the max to allow the 29 to engage. You then also lose 2 gear combos (e.g. 34-13 and 50-29). But that's fine too, I never use those positions with the 12-25 either.