swap an xt cassette for an slx ?

m_cozzy
m_cozzy Posts: 132
edited October 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently bought a gt sanction 1.0 with an xt 11-32 cassette. I feel the gearing is still too high and would like to swap it for a 11-34. I think the chain lengh will be fine as it only has 2 rings on the front.
Now I have also just recently bought a new cassette for my hardtail, an slx, which I'm convinced was an 11-32 to replace the 11-32 that came off it but is in fact an 11-34, so either I had a moment in the shop or they supplied me the wrong part! Plus I set the chain up for a 32 :oops:

So is it acceptable to swap the xt for the slx or should I splash out for an xt 11-34?
Both items have only covered 50 or so miles max.
Banned from singletrack forum again :-)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does not matter.

but DO check the chain length or you may be ripping off the rear mech by accident.

guessing it is a fully and has some chain grow as the sus compresses.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Cassettes are pretty interchangeable, usually less expensive will just mean heavier. Main thing to watch for is steel sprockets on a Ali freehub (Hope hubs etc.). Think the SLX cassette is mounted on a carrier so no problems there either.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result