Just out of interest

Sarnian
Sarnian Posts: 1,451
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Just wondering, does anyone here still race using rim brakes, I am looking at building a steel frame bike but trying to get It as light as I can, thought I might go back to rim brakes to save weight, but I have been using disc for so long I have forgotten what they are like to use off road and wondered If I would notice the difference a lot.
It's not a ornament, so ride It

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Sarnian wrote:
    Just wondering, does anyone here still race using rim brakes, I am looking at building a steel frame bike but trying to get It as light as I can, thought I might go back to rim brakes to save weight, but I have been using disc for so long I have forgotten what they are like to use off road and wondered If I would notice the difference a lot.

Christ I remember them, yeah they're light and cheap too. But utterly useless. I was going through a pair of pads a ride, constant adjustment and no feel or power. For the sake of a couple of grams I'd go hydro and just brake later to make up for it.

Old tech, best left in the past IMHO.
  • Sarnian
    This was my way of thinking as well, I was hoping that some would prove me wrong and change my mind and say that would work not a bad idea. :D

I think It's been almost 9-10 years since I used rim brakes off road.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    you would notice a difference in stopping power, but if you are looking for light weight then it would be a good way to go and they will probably be sufficient for racing. XC races are generally won on how fast you can go, not how quickly you can stop..... ;)
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    my old v brakes were a great training tool on learning to stay off the brakes as they never worked too good. :)

they're good in the dry with a new set of pads and set up but they wear quickly and need re-setting often.

I stuck with v's on my rigid bike for a while but got fed up and now got hydro disk brakes haven't looked back since.

Also if you're using it just for racing, just get a Alu frame you'll save more weight there?
  • Sarnian
    jairaj wrote:
    my old v brakes were a great training tool on learning to stay off the brakes as they never worked too good. :)

they're good in the dry with a new set of pads and set up but they wear quickly and need re-setting often.

I stuck with v's on my rigid bike for a while but got fed up and now got hydro disk brakes haven't looked back since.

Also if you're using it just for racing, just get a Alu frame you'll save more weight there?

Have always used a Alu frame for racing on, but have always had a steel frame on the go as a do It all HT. Just like steel and would like build one to race on.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    V-s are fine in the dry for off-road. Better than mech discs, very slightly worse than hydros. However as soon as it gets wet or muddy the pads disintegrate and the power plummets, plus you can go through rims pretty quickly in really gritty conditions.

I had them on my inbred until i got SIDs and so couldn't fit them, currently have one on the back, but will be removing that for a disc once the new wheels are built up and the disc mount has been welded on.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use them on the LE - pads are the key. In the dry they are as good as most hydros. Not too bad in the wet.

I like them. Go for it.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    You could give magura hs33s a go. used them on my last bike and they worked great. Not as powerfull or such good modulation as discs i will admit but lighter maybe?
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Sarnian
    supersonic wrote:
    I use them on the LE - pads are the key. In the dry they are as good as most hydros. Not too bad in the wet.

I like them. Go for it.

What are the best pads to use?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Kool Stops - I like the Eagle Claws.

I also have Speed Dial levers so I can adjust the modulation.

So many set up options with Vs to get the feel you want.
  • Sarnian
    mudsucker wrote:
    You could give magura hs33s a go. used them on my last bike and they worked great. Not as powerfull or such good modulation as discs i will admit but lighter maybe?

I did look at this, but I would save more weight using V. I know I don't have the disc weight but I could get disc brakes for the same weight.
  • Sarnian
    I like the look and the price, I think I best get started with this new build, just need to sell my FS frame first.