Mysterious Clicking Noise

Carerra Vulcan Disc Spec
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Hi
I bought a Carerra Vulcan bicycle from Halfords about 3 months ago. I'm not a hardcore serious mountain biker but i do enjoy going over the downs every so often. About a month ago i started noticing a clicking noise on my bike's crank next to the pedals, it dosen't happen every rotation but every 5 or so. This happens on all gears (i think) if i stand up and start peddaling aggressively or even sometimes if im sitting down peddaling normaly. Please can sombody suggest what i should do or what could help?

Many thanks jamie :P :mrgreen:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a look in the FAQs and then spanner everything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Have already looked at FAQ's. I've tried everything suggested already but nothing seems to work.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    Sounds like your bottom bracket.

May need tightened up or it may need replaced.
    Should be under warranty either way so take it back and get the retailer to sort it.

(though I've had similar in the past from a freehub, the noise seemed to get transmitted along the chain so it sounded like it was the BB).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not list all you've spanner checked and then we'll have an idea of what you may not have done!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks everyone
    Will put a list on later of what ive checked

Jamie
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I had a mysterious intermittent clicking noise on turning the cranks once - turned out to be the tip of my shoe laces catching the crank!!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Paulie W wrote:
    I had a mysterious intermittent clicking noise on turning the cranks once - turned out to be the tip of my shoe laces catching the crank!!

i had a squeak like that....it was my shoe rubbing against the crank arm :oops:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ads678
    ads678 Posts: 70
    I had a similar noise once, turned out it was cheap pedals.
    GT Avalanche 1.0
    Orange Five
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Every few rotations? Check for a stiff link in the chain.
  • I usually find it's my knees!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Tighten the pedals. Take them out, grease the threads and put all your weight behind the pedal spanner when screwing them back in. Nine times out of ten that's the answer. Outside chance the crank bolt needs tightened or the chainring nuts are loose. The advice above is spot on - tighten, tighten and tighten everything in that area.
  • i had a similar clicking noise on my old bike, checked everything, then i realised id cracked the seat tube, it was held by a small slither of aluminium and the seat post, couldve been a sketchy one if id had the seat any higher
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • I've actually noticed a similar problem on my bike. Recently there's been a clicking when I stand up and pedal, which appears to come from the rear meach area...although I'm fully aware that it's probably located elsewhere! :?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super