YeeeeHaaaaah

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Done it!! Target stage 1 complete.

Up till now, for last year or so, been part time commuter. Done 3 or 4 days a week, and a very occassional 5. However, needed a day to bring in shirts/boxers/socks/towel. And the "odd" lazy b4stard day when looking out and seeing rain - OK, these were 1 or 2 a week.

So at the beginning of September, I decided enough was enough. I had bought new bike, got rack and panniers. Asked guy in work what was my target. I thought he would say something like "10 days on the trot" no. He said end of October. Shirts and stuff now come in on panniers.

Well here it is, end of October and I have cycled every day I have worked in the Glasgow office. 31 days on the trot, have nearly forgotten what a train looks like. Feel fitter, healthier, happier (not wealthier due to Wiggle), have more of a zest for life...

So, now target has to be extended. Can't say I will do every day in winter, as some days can be grim up here, but all of November seems a good target. Also the SCR Stats is a good incentive to get out on those dark, wet, Scottish mornings...

Pity that I am in London a few days next week, so won't get a full week on the saddle, still, I think my wee bum needs a bit of a rest!!
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Well done, that's awesome! I must admit I commute all year round, but then I live down in the south east corner for softies.
  • well done mate :)

I've done pretty much the same. new bike for my birthday, travelcard expired end of Sept, wiggle expenses to justify and a heap of determination to cycle every day. pleased to also report I have done just that for the last month or so (less 2 days when away). I'm now more determined than ever to cycle every day. with the only exceptions being snow and ice. the only time I have got the train in the last month was on a really rainy day and I regretted it immediately.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    well done mate....

I generally now only take public transport when there is snow/slush/ice on the road.

even through winter, over here in the east i can't think of that many days where i couldn't ride.....

keep it up!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Congrats Wallace! :)
  • Well done! :D

It does make life better. I coughed and spluttered my way in this morning, but I now feel excellent. I'm going to have to start a 'virtual commute' or something.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Excellent work. Welcome to the fold :D

I've now been commuting every day for just over a year, and now just don't even think about any other way of travelling to work. In fact, I get itchy if I *have* to drive in :roll: :lol:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • I like it cold which it rarely does here, I may live in london now but I'm from them hills.

so cold weather isn't much of a off putter though proper ice would be.

though my present route is short and safe in that regard ie I could use the grass if need be.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I could use the grass if need be.

That won't make it any warmer, will however, make you not feel the cold, be mellower, chill out and just generally have a flower in your hair..... Might make you think you are cycling into San Francisco and not London.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"