Looks, Weight.. Frame?

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hey

After a 93 year old motorist decided to hit me in the rear on purpose and got arrested My frame has been twisted and Fox F100RL forks scratched, I need a new frame.

Will try sell the forks as they are still good just outer is scratched. I need a new frame.

I like the looks of the 09 giant anthem x, but dont really want to spend a grand.

Needs to have looks and weight less the better.

I had a focus superbud 2008 and they have offered me, 1500.00 to get a new frame and forks

I am a weight wennie and a looks weenie, but also I know whats good and not.

Any help would be amazing,

Want a frame and forks for 1000, looking at the rebas or sids, as I find Fox way to expensive for what rock shox can do better and want a little more travel than 100mm, and like the push lock and u-turn.

I commute and ride afan and cwmcarn xc/am

Please help as never built before.

Nice 1 guys :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Doesn't leave much for the frame really. If offered 1500 why not spend 1500?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    No weight weenie would spend so little as £1,500 on frame and forks.

But then you cut the budget to £1,000, not going to get a weight weenie frame and forks for that.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Spend £1400 on an Anthem X4. Sell whatever bits you don't want?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ^ good call
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is what I'd do, or a Spark.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    edited October 2009
    Go for the Anthem X4.Looks great in white.
    Plus you get new forks,and you`ll recoup 3-400 on the bits you don`t need or keep stuff like cassette,chain,tyres etc as spares.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    You should just about get a secondhand Scott Scale carbon frame for £600 which leaves you £400 for your forks.
  • canada16
    Just wanted a little left over for the girlfriends 30th

Thought might be able to get a frame for about 600 and then 300 for forks like rebas or something.

The parts on that giant, I would never make 400.00, the chainset is cheap and cassette and wheels are not that great, maybe make 90-100 on those, brakes maybe another 90-100.

Can be bothered with all that, I have xt stuff on my bike, so just need to replace the frame and forks.

Will look around for one of those scott carbons.

Nice 1.
  • canada16
    Oh sorry needs to be full suss, looking at the scales and they are hardtails for 600.00
  • Some good forks to be had for around £300ish,but that leaves only £700 for a frame.Merlin did have the Commie Super 4 frames for that,but now left only in size small.

CRC and Wiggle have nothing suitable.In fact Wiggle only have 1 full suss frame...

One option is ebay or the classifieds.£4-500 should get you a good secondhand Anthem frame,but I still say the best option is complete bike with the frame you want.

Rutland cycling still have the Anthem X3 for £899.(Though no large)

Parts not that great but I reckon the Tora forks and Avid Juicy brakes wil be easy to sell.Not that hard to strip the parts.£100 for the forks,£50 for the wheels,£20 for the tyres,£25 for the shifters,£70 for the brakes,and you`ve got a brand new frame and shock for £700.Less if you sell the cassette,bars,stem,saddle,front and rear mechs,
    (No issues with worn bearings and/or shock needing serviced.)

If you are looking at starting with a bare frame,you`ll need to build it/get it built anyway...........
    :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo