Help with choosing a FS bike.

harrybostarmix@hotmail.co
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hello, im wondering if anyone could help me with a problem i have. Im in the situation where i could get a new bike, ive narrowed the choice down too either get a Specialized Enduro Expert, or a Specialized Stumpjumper Expert. I want a bike that i can ride all day on adventures in the hills, without being ACTUALLY dead at the end of it, but i want too take the bike abroad and down freeride trails. I have heard that the Enduro and the Stumpjumper climb fairly similarly, but the extra travel and stability of the enduro would be worth the extra weight. I live in the South East, in croydon, so i ride over in Holmbury and all of the redlands trails alot, but will be taking the bike too the alps at some point as i would like to compete in the 'All-Mountain' category. The bike has too be the 2010 version, and i also have the option to change the wheel spec on the Enduro too something lighter aswell. Cheers, HarryBo P.S the mag is the best, it plops through my letterbox every month, well worth it and more!

It HAS too be a specialized..political reasons..Lool

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Of those two the enduro for what you want.

But if you're spending 3k i'd choose something else.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't be stupid, no bike will leave you "actually dead" at the end of a ride.
    Why do the bikes have to be 2010?

Out of those, I'd choose the enduro for the alps, but it would pretty near the bottom of my shortlist.
  • How bouts the Trek Remedy??
  • Anonymous
    I'd prefer the Trek, but it's a personal thing. Lots of people are completely satisfied with Specialized.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    and loads of people are satisfied with ugly women...
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • so everone thinks the Enduro is poo?? HOW?
  • Anonymous
    Did anyone say it was poo?
    I would just prefer the Trek.
  • Any 'actual' reason..Have you ridden it? what does it ride like? Cheers...
  • i really like the 2010 enduro.

|Treks are ok but some of the bontrager finishing kit looks cheap + nasty :(
  • Anonymous
    I just don't like the Specialized suspension setup. I find them to be wither wallowy and bobby, or in the case of the brain-equipped bikes, pointlessly firm over the small stuff.

But the main reason I would avoid an enduro, is because of their curiously unique parts. For example, strange front axle sizes which restrict what wheels/forks you can swap to.

But as I said, it's a personal thing.
  • the Enduro is Epuipped with a 20mm Maxle lite.. This isnt particularly 'obscure', and its stiffer thatn a 15mm qr.. Most hubs can be converted too 20mm with adaptors, like my hope Pro2 front hub (if i wanted too use lighter wheels, for more 'trail' riding)..Yea??
  • Anonymous
    Last time I checked they had some strange size. It certainly wasn't 20mm, or a QR, or the 15mm standard.

But my feelings about their ride still stand. You're not going to change my mind anyway, I have a bike I really love - it's not like you could say anything that would make me run out and buy an Enduro.
  • Having owned an Enduro and had many rides on a Remedy, i can tell you that the riding positions and feel are pretty similar. However the '09 futureshock forks of the Enduro were not the greatest, compared to the Lyriks on the remedy.

Having said that though, the 2010 spesh forks are said to be greatly improved.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    enduro, a stumpy is a lightweight XC bike, i wouldn't ride freeride on that, enduro is more of a do it all bike
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stumpy's can take a lot of hammer...

my mates given his a real thrashing over the last couple of years, and it's stood up to it all, with ease
  • Anonymous
    what does this mean, by the way?
    i would like to compete in the 'All-Mountain' category.
  • Anonymous
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    stumpy's can take a lot of hammer...

my mates given his a real thrashing over the last couple of years, and it's stood up to it all, with ease
    Still not an alpine freeride bike though is it?
  • All-mountain Racing is where you race up the mountain on the roughest route, Down the mountain on the roughest route and everywhere else if its rough...Look it up on Google, Some people would call the Mega Avalanche, a 'All-Mountain race, but its mostly Downhill, more like a Freeride race type of thing..:O
  • Anonymous
    so, XC racing then?

EDIT: I googled it, still can't really make out what it is. Seems to be mountain biking, but given a fancy name because people doing it don't realise it's what most people do.
  • No, not XC racing..Its XC, with DH sections..You need a bike that can 'Ride-it-All'!! XC racing is no where near as Rough, or insane...
  • 'All-mountain' bikes come into the 160mm ish travel of bikes...like the Orange 160 AM or the Lapierre Zesty..
  • Anonymous
    you're going to have to post some links I'm afraid. I don't follow.

It's not DH, but it has DH parts (what race doesn't apart from hillclimbs?)
    It's not XC, but IS cross-counrty
    It's not like the Megavalanche, because that's mostly DH.

So.... I'm still confused as to what it is.
  • Anonymous
    'All-mountain' bikes come into the 160mm ish travel of bikes...like the Orange 160 AM or the Lapierre Zesty..
    I now "all mountain" bikes do. Actually, they come in at anything fromo 120mm to 200mm. But that's besides the point.
    I don't understand these "all mountain race" events you're talking about. But I am curious to find out.
  • Heres an example of one...http://www.downievilleclassic.com/pages ... ntain.html its one of the most well known 'AM' races..
  • Anonymous
    Ah, I get you.
    That sounds like fun, and would probably suit the enduro more than the stumpy.
    HOWEVER, when I've done multi-discipline events like that before, where endurance athletes also compete in an "adrenaline" sport (for want of a better name), the main focus has been on the endurance side of things.

So, maybe see if you can find other riders who've done the event before, and ask them for their opinions on suitable bikes? You might find that the stumpy would cope quite well with their "DH" sections.
    I'd still prefer something more active than a specialized though, like the trek, or a moun vision. Or, of course, if the DH is a proper one, then either a wolf ridge or an attack trail.
  • Anonymous
    Ah, I get you.
    That sounds like fun, and would probably suit the enduro more than the stumpy.
    HOWEVER, when I've done multi-discipline events like that before, where endurance athletes also compete in an "adrenaline" sport (for want of a better name), the main focus has been on the endurance side of things.

So, maybe see if you can find other riders who've done the event before, and ask them for their opinions on suitable bikes? You might find that the stumpy would cope quite well with their "DH" sections.
    I'd still prefer something more active than a specialized though, like the trek, or a moun vision. Or, of course, if the DH is a proper one, then either a wolf ridge or an attack trail.
  • Thank you, youv'e stopped trying too challenge my innocent questions and given me a REAL answer..Lool..:D
  • Anonymous
    Sorry, I was just curious, I really didn't know what you were on about! :lol:
  • Nice one mate..Cheers.