Sometimes wish you hadn't bothered?

ravey1981
ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Well today should have been great....

Day off work because of a dental appointment this morning (nothing needed no large bill) and then the afternoon is mine to go riding...

So I head off up to Gisburn forest, the sun is out, im a happy guy. Half way round the circuit I came across a family who obviously have some issues so I stop to see if I can help, they've punctured and have no patches or tubes so i give them a pack of sticky park patches and off I go on my cheery way, a good deed and all that....

Then...15 mins later my gears totally pack up, knackered shifter i think but some investigation needed there...I manage to get into a gear where i can spin along, but then from nowhere my legs just die on me...

3 mini toffee crisps give me a slight boost, but i pedal slowly home with my legs on fire...

I wish I'd just left the bike in the shed today :(

Comments

• its how it happens i feel for you

soem mum and her daughter both had a puncture on my local route so i sorted em out turned out to be a screw, so just as i'm putting my pump away the ilil girl mashes the screw into my rear tyre and i had np patches on me or spear tube so had to walk to my dads place of work only a 10min walk from where i was and getting of the train on way home i fell over and ut open the palm of my left hand.
  • ravey1981
    Sorry about youre hand... the little girl thing is just unbelievable lol I dont think i would have been able to control myself if that happened to me...

Karma? Bullsh1t!
  • if it hadnt been for the fact she jumped on the bike n started riding off i would of mashed her face into the floor
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i would of drop kicked the ungrateful little bitch into the nearest lake!!

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • no lakes on the isle of wight
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    yeah ive had days like that, ive got a 3rd way around cwmcarn and my bike has broke, actually this has happened few times:

brake pads dissintergrated on the front
    Crank arms fallen off-damn powerspline
    ripped tyre open-lightweight wtb race tyres-waste of time

ive had bad riding days where legs have had no energy-this is normally from over training tho :roll:

the worst is whe you ride alone its pissing down then have a nasty crash, breaking a bone or crippling yourself then gotta walk/crawl miles back to car :oops:
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    no lakes on the isle of wight

Really?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • ravey1981
    Im always a bit more careful when i'm out on my own with no one to pick up the pieces if i stack it.... I've had far too many near misses in the past :)
  • lol @ the girl wapping the screw into your tyre...should let the mother "pay" for her childs mistake by polishing your top tube :wink:
    Carerra Fury 08
  • How the hell did she force a screw into your tyre? I mean I'd struggle without a screwdriver!

I call BS :wink::lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    dave_hill wrote:
    no lakes on the isle of wight

Really?

My thoughts entirely - do some people go around with their eyes shut? (I've ridden my bike on the Isle of Wight just the once and spotted several lakes)

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • not lakes the are either resevoirs or extension of rivers
  • jools182
    jools182 Posts: 216
    I had to cut my ride short because I felt like crap

its so annoying when something (bike or body) lets you down
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I once stopped to help a young lad fix a puncture at Grizedale. I used my spare tube since he had neither tube, patches nor pump. When I'd finished, I was astonished to watch him start to stuff the punctured tube into his rucksack. I explained that I was taking that since I'd given him my spare - OK call me a a cheapskate but I didnt feel that I should have to spend a fiver on another spare tube when I could fix this one! He announced in a very strong German accent that his father would be very angry if he didnt bring the tube back. How would he even know I asked and proceeded to take the tube back and put it in my ruck sack at which point he started to cry quite theatrically. A group of cyclists stopped to see what the commotion was and the boy announced that I was steeling his tube! I couldnt be bothered to argue, I handed him back his tube and rode off, the disgusted looks of the other cyclists burning into my back!!
  • you should of put the other cyclist straight
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yeah you were in the right, explain it, after all you gave him a good tube and got back a punctured one in return, he was still up on the deal!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • many times.

i got my bike from the shop., went up to malham and was halfw3ay up a big climb when the crank arm fell off. that's then i noticed it had completely rounded the spline. the coast down the hill was ok, but pushing it up the hills wasn't. happened about 20 minutes into a 2 hour planned ride. it was february up on the tops, and i'd given my wife the car keys so she could go for a walk with the dog while i went for a ride.... so an hour and a quarter of stood around freezing till she got back. brrrrrrrrrr.

3/4 of the way around gisburn my chain snapped, but snapped spectacularly, meaning a lost a part of it. i'm a newb with chains anyway so had no chance with that.

i may not know how to do everything, but i don't understand people who go out on any bike, let alone a mtb with no puncture repair kit, pump and a minitool... a small seatpost bag will sort you out completely. especially when you see folk out on £500+ bikes who won't spend £30 on stuff to keep you going!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Yeah you were in the right, explain it, after all you gave him a good tube and got back a punctured one in return, he was still up on the deal!

Simon

Thanks. I recognised I had the moral high ground but it's all about context: grown man grabbing an inner tube off a small weeping German lad in the middle of a dark forest....
  • cuda bee worse :lol: