Idiot campag derailleur cable question

GeorgeShaw
GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
edited October 2009 in Workshop
I'm about to change my rear derailleur cable (Centaur carbon 2009 ergos), and I've got a new campag cable set. The contents say 6 x casing caps, but I only have 4. the instructions say:
Front and rear derailleurs' casings have been pre-lubricated with a special grease, which has been inserted in the half of the casing where there are no "Campagnolo" logos and on which an end-cap has been pre-mounted. This is the end of the casing that must be inserted in the appropriate slot in the Ergopower control level body; if the casing needs to be shortened, the other end (with the double "Campagnolo" logo and without the end-cap) must be cut.

But there are no pre-mounted caps (the two missing ones presumably). And the cables that I've just removed from the ergos had no caps (that I noticed).

So is the documentation incorrect and no caps are required at the ergo end?

Comments

• huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    I believe it changed with the 2009 sets. AFAIK, and certainly when I assembled centaur 2009 setup I did it like this, that the cables at the ergo ends do not need caps.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The 2009 cables are different to the previous generations. The new ergos won't work with end caps/ferrules anyway.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Thanks.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    The 2009 cables are different to the previous generations. The new ergos won't work with end caps/ferrules anyway.

really?

thats a tad annoying
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The new Ergos take a smaller diameter outer - the old cables simple won't fit the new Ergos. New cables are a lot more flexible and lighter too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..