will this bike fit a woman who is 5' 2" tall? gmc denal

dizzle22
dizzle22 Posts: 21
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
bike is a gmc denali 700cc womens road bike. it is not a great bike but the girlfriend really wants it as she does not do a lot of riding. very very little. however our concern is, no store carries it so we would have to order if online. i was hoping someone could look at the specs of it and tell me if a woman who is 5' 2" or 1.57m tall would be able to ride this???

here is a link to the bike: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... =3350944#1

thanks!

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    48cm Frame (19") and 33lbs... :shock: Must be made of cast iron!

I think it's too big.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • I'm 5ft 2, and ride a 44cm Specialized sirrus which fits perfectly.

I also tried out a Giant OCR road bike, and would have needed the small frame (46cm I think?)

HTH
    Lou
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    dizzle22 wrote:
    bike is a gmc denali 700cc womens road bike. it is not a great bike but the girlfriend really wants it as she does not do a lot of riding. very very little. however our concern is, no store carries it so we would have to order if online. i was hoping someone could look at the specs of it and tell me if a woman who is 5' 2" or 1.57m tall would be able to ride this???
    I think (and the vendor's frame-size chart seems to agree) that it would definitely be to large. The stand-over height might well be OK, but she'll be too stretched out.
  • well could this be fixed by putting a shorter stem on the bike, thus bringing the handlebars closer to the seat?
  • Height isn't enough - need to measure insdie leg and body length. There's lots of sizing advic available on this and the "buyers" forum - do your homework really well, ebay is littered with expensive mistakes. I'm 5'4" and looking at everything from 48cm to 54cm depending on make.

Also as a petite woman your friend might need a women's specific - identical to mens but all on a smaller scale, including finger distance for brake levers etc - but this can all be modified afterwards.

In confusion I went to LBS and tried out lots of frame sizes from 1 mfr - I think for me Trek's 52cm mens or women's 54 - because I'm short of leg & long in body. Now I know what feels good sze-wise, I've noted all the geometry to get a table of suitable sizing to compare by so when I buy I have the best cahnce of a decent fit.

I'm still looking, good matches in your price range are rare as hens teeth. But I have seen a few good'uns recently too sml for me so they are out there.
  • I'm 5'2 and ride a 49cm.

It will be hit and miss for your GF I think. If she doesn't ride much, maybe get her an entry level flat bar hybrid from Halfords where she can try it out to make sure it does fit. Drop bar bike fits seem to have less margin of error and need to be specific.
    2009 Kona Zing - second ever racer and follows my 5 speed downshifters Raleigh Milk Race of 1987ish :-)
  • I'm 5"1 and ride a pinnacle aura in small because i like a little more room, felt to cramped on an xsmall. Kneeing myself in chest and couldn't get my leg in a good pedalling position with xsmall but the small is perfect.

I personally love my bike, i use it for daily commute but can ride distance and put panairs on it too which is good.

http://www.pinnacle-bikes.co.uk/2009+Bi ... ntId=1405#
    “If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.” Lewis Carrol

'Feel the fear, then do it anyway'

'tomorrow, tomorrow tomorrow never comes, today is already here'