For F*** sake a rant about fruit booters

Comments

• SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    It doesn't matter how much your bike cost or how well you ride (well it still matters a bit) if your having fun.

Well said that man.
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    I do A hike & bike every year with the Round Table and one of our team members brings his fully ridged bike that should have a basket on the front, Its really funny seeing the other teams and their 3k + bike laughing at his steed, they soon stop laughing when he passses them down rock gardens and beats them up technical climbs,, I nearly fall of myself because I cant stop laughing at the irony of it. :lol:
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • buduk
    buduk Posts: 55
    i'am a bit confused :oops: in a few post i hear all the gear no idea !!! why ? i have a 3 month old bike and haven't a clue how to ride it ,i also have bought a helmet gloves ,knee pads (don't ask they have just healed up)etc, and live at least 40 mins from the local trail centre (whinlatter) i'am constantly looking at forums etc for tips and probs do a course ,i turn up and its like wink wink nudge, nudge does this mean that i'am one of the all the gear no idea brigade or does this just apply on the price of bike ?? lucky i'am thick skinned
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    supersonic wrote:
    Nothing wrong at all. But there is something wrong when they look down at others for having a bike that doesn't cost as much.
    As opposed to looking down on other for having more expensive bikes, or not riding the way you think they should? I mean, how is calling people "fruit-booters" better than calling them or "the great unwashed" or something?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    what does fruit booters mean anyway? I've never seen the term before.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... uit+booter
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    I know all about trail snobbery - on monday i went up to Swinley with two mates, one has an apollo fs that cost about £150, the other had a ridge back that cost about 250, and i was one my decathlon that cost £370. We are all fairly decent riders, but the mid-life crisis affected 40 somethings with their orange 5's and specialized stumpjumpers's still looked at us as if we were turds sitting in their way until they saw us riding. It doesn't matter how much your bike cost or how well you ride (well it still matters a bit) if your having fun, and i expect we were having more fun since we weren't worrying about 2 grand smashing into a tree.

So we have snobbery, reverse snobbery and also now james has introduced ageism into the melting pot.

Perhaps we can add some other divide in that will further seperate us all and forbid the sport to move forwards?

I had no idea all this stuff went through riders minds when i am out and about, I find it shocking, it's not a fashion parade and it's not a contest, buy what you want, ride how you want and get on with it, really can't believe how stuck up and insecure people are on this thread.
  • bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    scotto wrote:
    I had no idea all this stuff went through riders minds when i am out and about, I find it shocking, it's not a fashion parade and it's not a contest, buy what you want, ride how you want and get on with it, really can't believe how stuck up and insecure people are on this thread.

ha, ha you must be old. my mum used to use that expression :wink:

trouble is i now use it when my wife worries about what clothes to put our 3 year old in :oops:
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    edited October 2009
    buduk wrote:
    i'am a bit confused :oops: in a few post i hear all the gear no idea !!! why ? i have a 3 month old bike and haven't a clue how to ride it ,i also have bought a helmet gloves ,knee pads (don't ask they have just healed up)etc, and live at least 40 mins from the local trail centre (whinlatter) i'am constantly looking at forums etc for tips and probs do a course ,i turn up and its like wink wink nudge, nudge does this mean that i'am one of the all the gear no idea brigade or does this just apply on the price of bike ?? lucky i'am thick skinned

when i say all the gear no idea im talking about people who cant ride for sh*t and have 2 or 3 grand bikes-ive overtaken downhill riders on 8 or 9 inch travel bikes on downhill courses riding a 14" jump bike. i really think people should learn to ride before they get a really expensive bike that they will develop no skills on and just plough through everything.

like i said before tho, i think its a British class thing, lower class despises middle class etc.
    im definately guilty of reverse snobbery and riding snobbery, i get frustrated when i see people dordling down hills on good bikes, especially when they are in the way. most of the time its a case of growing some balls and letting off the brakes-let your mega bike do the work and learn to take it.

. i have no problem with people wearing all the protection etc, thats probably a good idea for learners.

dont get me wrong guys i dont lose sleep over this, i just cant help but look at people who cant ride for sh*t with mega bikes and cant help but think what a pr*ck, its like when you see a bald fat old man in a pink convertable sports car, you dont hate the guy but its hard not to judge and think what a t*sser. i guess its kinda like their showing off although they probably arent, but they still come across as a flashy bar steward.

dont worry i know im in the wrong judging people like this, but its just human nature.

the term fruit booters is associated to binliners (inline skating) its what BMXers and skate boarders call rollerbladers as a diss, but i coined the term in relation to money: think of fruit as money, booting/throwing money around
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • bay73
    rhyko7 wrote:
    buduk wrote:

when i say all the gear no idea im talking about people who cant ride for sh*t and have 2 or 3 grand bikes-ive overtaken downhill riders on 8 or 9 inch travel bikes on downhill courses riding a 14" jump bike. i really people should learn to ride before they get a really expensive bike that they will develop no skills on and just plugh through everything.

like i said before tho, i think its a British class thing, lower class despises middle class etc.
    im definately guilty of reverse snobbery and riding snobbery, i get frustrated when i see people dordling down hills on good bikes, especially when they are in the way. most the times its a case of growing some balls and letting off the brakes-let your mega bike do the work and learn to take it.

. i have no problem with people wearing all the protection etc, thats probably a good idea for learners.

why hate the middle class?

i've worked for nearly 20 years and have got a good job as a result and along with that the fruits of those years working - a nice house, car and bike.

so why hate me for that?
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    redvee wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... uit+booter

We used to call them bIn-liners back in the days when I had a BMX. When I first saw this thread I thought is was going be about the people who stand on the edge of trail picking fruit of the bushes (blackberries etc.) who pay absolutely no attention and seem to be in a dream world and will randomly step back onto the trail without warning.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • scotto
    bay73 wrote:
    scotto wrote:

trouble is i now use it when my wife worries about what clothes to put our 3 year old in :oops:

Thank you for further enhancing my point highlighting ageism, it's impressive to see blind ignorance is alive and well.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    scotto wrote:
    Perhaps we can add some other divide in that will further seperate us all and forbid the sport to move forwards?
    birchy wrote:
    not been allowed to devlop like gt or inners where the scottish h&s/fc have different ideas of what a red or black trail limits should be.

perhaps a scotland/england divide?? :D:D

Thing is...us up here don't really get it when you say how rad GT is.....even the inners xc....is nowhere near as difficult as it used to be....the new building has definitely moved it from a black to a red (with a couple of black options.)
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bay73
    scotto wrote:
    bay73 wrote:
    scotto wrote:

Thank you for further enhancing my point highlighting ageism, it's impressive to see blind ignorance is alive and well.

Scotto - Chill out :D I've been described as having a slightly early mid-life crisis. i started
    MTB'ing at 35 :shock:

solidarity and love to us older guys... :twisted:
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    bay73 wrote:
    rhyko7 wrote:
    buduk wrote:

when i say all the gear no idea im talking about people who cant ride for sh*t and have 2 or 3 grand bikes-ive overtaken downhill riders on 8 or 9 inch travel bikes on downhill courses riding a 14" jump bike. i really people should learn to ride before they get a really expensive bike that they will develop no skills on and just plugh through everything.

im definately guilty of reverse snobbery and riding snobbery, i get frustrated when i see people dordling down hills on good bikes, especially when they are in the way. most the times its a case of growing some balls and letting off the brakes-let your mega bike do the work and learn to take it.

why hate the middle class?

i've worked for nearly 20 years and have got a good job as a result and along with that the fruits of those years working - a nice house, car and bike.

so why hate me for that?

dude i dont hate you! dont take it so personally.
    ive worked hard all my life too, although i havent got much to show for it. :roll:

its just british psychology, and history. middle class looks down on lower class. upper class looks down on middle class. i wouldnt describe it as strong as hatred, but theres definately some truth to it.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • bay73
    dude i dont hate you! dont take it so personally.
    ive worked hard all my life too, although i havent got much to show for it. :roll:

its just british psychology, and history. middle class looks down on lower class. upper class looks down on middle class. i wouldnt describe it as strong as hatred, but theres definately some truth to it.

'i look down on him because he is working class, yet I look up to him as he is upper class...'

article-1201412-00216DC700000258-604_468x559.jpg[/quote]

:lol:
  • scotto
    bay73 wrote:
    scotto wrote:
    bay73 wrote:
    scotto wrote:

Scotto - Chill out :D I've been described as having a slightly early mid-life crisis. i started
    MTB'ing at 35 :shock:

solidarity and love to us older guys... :twisted:

I am 26 which I do not consider to be old, I really don't care how old you or anyone else here is, to me age is a number. I measure people by intellect and attitude, not by their age, colour, class, what bike they ride, what they wear or how they ride it.

Like I said, your level of ignorance is impressive.
  • bay73
    scotto wrote:
    I am 26 which I do not consider to be old, I really don't care how old you or anyone else here is, to me age is a number. I measure people by intellect and attitude, not by their age, colour, class, what bike they ride, what they wear or how they ride it.

intellect and attitude eh? would sense of humour come under attitude?

really. all i said was that you used an expression that my mum used to and you called me ignorant. go figure.
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    all the gear no idea is not a personal attack, its just the term given to people who ride the flashiest bike with the flashiest equipment and havent got a clue how to ride it.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • scotto
    bay73 wrote:
    scotto wrote:

intellect and attitude eh? would sense of humour come under attitude?

really. all i said was that you used an expression that my mum used to and you called me ignorant. go figure.

Sense of humour is often connected with intellect but is classed as an attribute, so no.

But then none of the your posts were amusing so it's hyperthetical.

I could explain further but you wouldn't understand.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    As already said a million times, who cares what you or anyone else rides. It's no-one's business but you're own. If you want to spend a fortune on a bike and hardly ride it..so what.

Personally I reckon a lot of people think they're being looked down on when it fact they're not. It's just they have a bit of an inferiority complex going on.

OK, so you're always going to get a few big-heads but just let em get on with it.
  • stunter ant
    stunter ant Posts: 213
    edited October 2009
    Its even better when these people buy a top end bike thinking i can master this DH lark...go out once crash get scared and then sell the bike for half the cost to ME :)

I think its great lol. If you can afford the bestest bike out why not buy it...you only live once. Im not really fussed what people are riding or what they think about my bike as long as we are all riding bikes 8)
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • scotto
    sampras38 wrote:
    As already said a million times, who cares what you or anyone else rides. It's no-one's business but you're own. If you want to spend a fortune on a bike and hardly ride it..so what.

Personally I reckon a lot of people think they're being looked down on when it fact they're not. It's just they have a bit of an inferiority complex going on.

OK, so you're always going to get a few big-heads but just let em get on with it.

+1
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    rhyko7 wrote:
    i just cant help but look at people who cant ride for sh*t with mega bikes and cant help but think what a pr*ck

dont worry i know im in the wrong judging people like this, but its just human nature.

You are in the wrong, very much so. I can't believe that you get annoyed when someone judges you based on your bike, yet you call someone a pr!ck because of their bike, Jesus!

For all you know, the guys you're judging might have worked 18 hour days for 20 years, and inbetween giving millions of pounds of their hard earned cash to charity they like to enjoy the countryside. So they buy a bike, but because they're loaded £3k isn't a big deal, so they buy an awesome bike.

If someone called you a pr!ck because you couldn't ride as well as them then it wouldn't be right. Just like if the guy with the superbike sneers at your bike, that's wrong. But don't hate people purely because of their riding ability, surely that being an utter snob too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • To the original poster.

Nowt wrong with you being annoyed at the guy if he did start to negatively criticise your bike, probably made worse by the fact he was riding some expensive machine no where near it's limits.

Of course you see plenty of people riding some very nice bikes and quite a few will be the 'all the gear, no idea' brigade, but that doesn't automatically mean they're wankers.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    It's been very tetchy around here recently... is there a full moon due or is the forum collectively due to have the painters in soon? :wink:
  • bay73
    It's been very tetchy around here recently... is there a full moon due or is the forum collectively due to have the painters in soon? :wink:

:oops:
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    There will always be snobbery on the Trails but ,at the end of the day ,we are all there for the same reason so just ride what you got,get muddy and have a laugh....sod what anyone else thinks !! :D
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Just read the whole 5 pages......

My opinion for its worth.....

If I had oodles of cash to blow on a top end bike, I probably would, even though I'm not a top end rider. I dont have the cash. I'm happy with the bike I've got and I enjoy riding it.

Live and let live for crying out loud.

Therefore.......Put up, shut up, and above all RIDE YOUR BIKES :wink:
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Glad someone has posted a similar idea to mine......about 3 pages ago.

Like Rich9 says.......

Who cares!!!!!!!......

Just go out and ride whatever you've got to ride.
    Craig Rogers