Sheepsteeth, how's your hardtail?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Just wandering how you're getting on with the partial switch to a hardtail, and thought it might be interesting for people who are torn between buying a fully suspended bike, or a hardtail.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    See the readers rides bit, he sold the 456 and bought an Orange Crush!
  • Anonymous
    Ooh, I missed that! The OnOne didn't last long then!
  • supersonic
    He likes to tinker lol.

I'll give this one 3 weeks then it will be a titanium frame ;-)
  • Anonymous
    Sounds about right. Next step after that, carbon, you reckon?
  • supersonic
    Nah, he'll sell that then go back to full sussers for a month or two...
  • Anonymous
    He's not got rid of his full suss though.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Ah. but you wait till john moore posts his new 29er full sus, he'll get rid of all but one 26" and give 29ers a whirl. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    I'd never thoguht of that!
    Who's John Moore though? Don't think I've come across him.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Jeff Jones bike.
  • Anonymous
    hey folks,

im really enjoying the ht to be honest which is something i didnt think i would ever say.

the original reason for the on one was a general hankering for something new and the fact i had most of the parts necessary in my spares box. i figured i dont have any particluar need for another fs so decided id give ht one last go especially as the on one is almost throw away cheap.

turns out its a really nice bike to ride but i cant quite figure out why. the fact is that any of my fs bikes is definately better and faster and more comfortable and 2 of the 3 are lighter but for whatever reason, i like the ht as its just different.

my twisted logic behind getting a different frame is that i figured that if i was enjoying the basic metal goodness of the 456, i should enjoy a more refined frame a whole lot more so i re-started my search. i had narrowed it down to either a blue pig or a pha5e but during the search i happened across an old 05 orange crush and thought fock it, i'll give it a go and see what its like.

as for the whole ht vs fs debate, for me fs wins it everytime. im in the fortunate position to have owned good versions of both genre and i can categorically say im faster and have more fun (often 2 different things i might add) on a fs.

also, as for the whole you should learn on a ht to make yourself better on a fs bike: balderdash!! i pick the same lines on the ht as the fs, for some unknown reason everyone assumes fs riders automatically pick bad lines on a fs because for some unknown reason we're all useless dickheads or summat but it turns out that after a few yrs practice i know what tends to be faster and which lines are smoother, i learned all of this on a fs bike.

my memories of ht riding wasnt pleasant but thats because i didnt know anything about picking lines and whatnot to make the ride as smooth as possible. ive been riding for 3 years now and thats what has made me a better rider. i have translated what i learned into riding a ht and now i enjoy it. the folk who move to a fs after years of ht riding arent better because of the bike but because they have general bike experience.

ps
    1. id love to own john moores bike or atleast have a go.
    2. ive already owned a carbon mtb and it was really good
    3. i do just love to tinker. this frame is a cheap prelude to a pha5e which i would imagine will be getting bought at some point