Potential Champion

mrc1
mrc1 Posts: 852
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Nobody on the Road Training thread is playing ball (all too busy discussing "vector power analysis" (I kid you not)) so I thought that following CPs post about the same old boring topics I would try my luck over here......

Using the logic that more miles = better cyclist could James Bowthorpe (new cycling around the globe record holder and London resident :shock: ) now spend a couple of months doing really high intensity stuff and then go and play with the pros/be the ultimate SCRer?
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    You certainly couldn't say he hadn't put in the base miles. But isn't it endurance vs explosive power thang. The weight loss/speed increase could do him in as a roadie and the power increase for track work would be immense. No expert but I'm not taking his wheel on an Audax
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    So tell me more about this vector power analysis ...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    itboffin wrote:
    So tell me more about this vector power analysis ...

From what I understand there is a vector from which power is produced which can then be analysed.

You're welcome :lol:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hmmm - training zones......I guess anyone could be, depends on physiology and mindset to win and push yourself hard.

I am too short to be a top level international rower, but it did not stop me becoming and elite level rower.....aside I would never get picked for GB squad as I am too short and don't have the mindset for that much training.

Wee'd on my own chips there!

So, yes - Jimmy Bowthorpe probably could mix it with the pros if he has the mindset to do so!
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    This@ll clear things up :D

Methods: Manifest and keratometric refractive errors were expressed as power vectors suitable for plotting as points in a 3-dimensional dioptric space. The three Cartesian (x, y, z) coordinates of each power vector correspond to the powers of three lenses which, in combination, fulfill a refractive prescription: a spherical lens of power M, a Jackson crossed-cylinder of power J0 with axes at 90º and 180º, and a Jackson crossed-cylinder of power J45 with axes at 45º and at 135º. The Pythagorean length of the power vector, B, is a measure of overall blurring strength of a sphero-cylindrical lens or refractive error. Changes in refractive error due to surgery were computed by the ordinary rules of vector subtraction.

Results: Frequency distributions of blur strength (B) clearly demonstrate the effectiveness of refractive surgery at reducing the overall blurring effect of uncorrected refractive error. Power vector analysis also revealed a reduction in the astigmatic component of these refractive errors. Paired comparisons revealed that the change in manifest astigmatism due to surgery was well correlated with the change in keratometric astigmatism.

Conclusions: Power vectors aid the visualization of complex changes in refractive error by tracing a trajectory in a uniform dioptric space. The Cartesian components of a power vector are mutually independent, which simplifies mathematical and statistical analysis of refractive errors. Power vectors also provide a natural link to a more comprehensive optical description of ocular refractive imperfections in terms of wavefront aberration functions and their description by Zernike polynomials.

Or did I miss something?????
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    DON_DON SEES:
    This@ll clear things up :D

Methods: Manifest and keratometric refractive errors were expressed as power vectors suitable for plotting as points in a 3-dimensional dioptric space. The three Cartesian (x, y, z) coordinates of each power vector correspond to the powers of three lenses which, in combination, fulfill a refractive prescription: a spherical lens of power M, a Jackson crossed-cylinder of power J0 with axes at 90º and 180º, and a Jackson crossed-cylinder of power J45 with axes at 45º and at 135º. The Pythagorean length of the power vector, B, is a measure of overall blurring strength of a sphero-cylindrical lens or refractive error. Changes in refractive error due to surgery were computed by the ordinary rules of vector subtraction.

Results: Frequency distributions of blur strength (B) clearly demonstrate the effectiveness of refractive surgery at reducing the overall blurring effect of uncorrected refractive error. Power vector analysis also revealed a reduction in the astigmatic component of these refractive errors. Paired comparisons revealed that the change in manifest astigmatism due to surgery was well correlated with the change in keratometric astigmatism.

Conclusions: Power vectors aid the visualization of complex changes in refractive error by tracing a trajectory in a uniform dioptric space. The Cartesian components of a power vector are mutually independent, which simplifies mathematical and statistical analysis of refractive errors. Power vectors also provide a natural link to a more comprehensive optical description of ocular refractive imperfections in terms of wavefront aberration functions and their description by Zernike polynomials.

Or did I miss something?????

DON_DON READS:

Gobbledygobbledygobbledyblahblahgobbleblahdyblahblahgookblahgobble...............

:wink::wink: