Attention.......lowers flying

xtreem
xtreem Posts: 2,965
edited October 2009 in MTB general
How often do you see lowers of Manitou fork shooting out of the stanchions?
Not to often I guess :?:

Feck, unlucky. :shock:

pbpic4201012.jpg

Hey there is a video too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo_gKs35 ... r_embedded

rebound too fast?

EDIT
Closer one:

pbpic4202491.jpg

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, they are manitou. They were going to fail in one way or another.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Xtreem wrote:

actually quite often. Especially a few years ago.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • you have cheered me up
  • xtreem
    nicklouse wrote:
    Xtreem wrote:

actually quite often. Especially a few years ago.
    Really? :shock: :huge_shock_emotion:
  • Anonymous
    yep.
  • yeehaamcgee
    i like your location :lol:
  • Anonymous
    You only just realised that? :wink:
  • its been changed today.....
  • Anonymous
    nope. Been like that for a few days now.
  • :shock:

i'm finaly beating hercule on the post front
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    would never get manitous
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Didn't ramemtbers manitouforks on his old ride do the same thing?
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I love the way he's looking at it, as if to say "Hey! I have a wheel just like that, it's... Oh"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • xtreem
    MacAndCheese
    Sort of, he broke the stanchions I think, but bad landing was the fault.

Northwind
    rotfl3.gif
  • see form the photo's I was expecting him to have come flying off that ridge and land hard...
    the video looks like an xc race :lol:

What a sh*t set of forks.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    He looks a bit well armoured for an XC race don't you think? Well, except possibly for an XC race using forks that might fall in half at any moment, I'd want a bit of armour for that too :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • :lol: maybe thats the catch!

A bit of xc russian roulette?
    1 set of forks it sh!t and will break.... but none of you know which!
  • can we try it here?
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    what do you think was going through his mind at that moment.
    maybe whats for tea? gravel and sand and mud
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Anonymous
    probably "oooh n" SPLAT :lol:
    Or "I wish I'd bought F" SPLAT.
  • '' i wish i had foooooooooooox's uuuuucccckkkkkkkk''
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    In all fairness

We that spend money on such Product should at least expect VFM no matter what !!!

No point of a company cutting corners for the sake of profit margins and selling a product on the market that is known to have a history of Breaking ...and point the rider live a risk ..

there is no gounds or excuses by any company to allow this

And also the company can be sued on the grounds of negligence by not adhearing to fix the problem ...

In America bad design fault cost a company millions in a lawsuit
  • Anonymous
    In America?
    Ford famously conducted a study into a life threatening design fault. It was decided that the cost of the redesign (around 20 cents per car produced) was greater than the amount of money they were statistically going to have to pay out to claims by injured passengers, or the families of deceased drivers.
  • thast guy who tryed suing fox because he cut and sanded away the lowers and gaps crossing so he could fit a 29'' wheel, he ended up parylzed because of it and tried suing for 4 billion us dollars
  • Anonymous
    thast guy who tryed suing fox because he cut and sanded away the lowers and gaps crossing so he could fit a 29'' wheel, he ended up parylzed because of it and tried suing for 4 billion us dollars
    If that particular story is true, it's one of those cases that really riles me. Even if Fox had been at fault, how could he EVER justify 4 billion?
    Lost earnings and care costs are acceptable in the right circumstances, but people sue for the GDP of wealthy countries - and some of them get away with it!
  • and another case i just googled

''''''Paralysed cyclist sues suspension fork maker
    By James Costley-White

Paralysed mountain biker Russell Pinder is taking Fox Racing Shox to court
    A mountain biker paralysed in a crash in the Brecon Beacons, UK, five years ago is taking suspension fork manufacturer Fox Racing Shox to court.

Russell Pinder is seeking damages for negligence from the firm, which is based in Watsonville, California. The 44-year-old building engineer from Oxfordshire claims a defect in the design of his Fox Float 100R forks led to him sustaining spinal cord injuries which left him permanently paralysed from the chest down.

He was riding on the Gap descent in the Brecon Beacons in March 2003 when he crashed and had to be airlifted to hospital.

It is Mr Pinder's case that when the Fox Float 100R forks are combined with certain disc brakes and a quick-release wheel, repeated braking can result in the wheel becoming loose and falling out of the dropouts.

Mr Pinder is bringing the claim under the Consumer Protection Act 1987. He is represented by Warren Collins of international law firm Davies Arnold Cooper. Mr Pinder and his legal team declined to comment on the case. Fox Racing Shox also declined to comment.

The trial at London's High Court is due to start on October 28th and is expected to last a week.
    '''

baatard should of checked the qr skewers and used different grakes then
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    In America?
    Ford famously conducted a study into a life threatening design fault. It was decided that the cost of the redesign (around 20 cents per car produced) was greater than the amount of money they were statistically going to have to pay out to claims by injured passengers, or the families of deceased drivers.

A Company that sold pick up's when in an accident had a higher rate of fatalities due to the bad positioning of the fuel tanks which was beside the door .. and every time they were hit in a collision side on they would explode ..

Bad design faults cost lives ...
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    Picture looks like it could be a form of extreme ploughing, very much ouch.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I was more suprised the fork had any oil in them.

Quite a few people have had QRs unscrewed from disc brake forces. Though I think they probably didn't do them tight enough.

Then we have the case of the cyclist who sued Marin over the cracked bars that failed.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    colintrav wrote:
    In America?

A Company that sold pick up's when in an accident had a higher rate of fatalities due to the bad positioning of the fuel tanks which was beside the door .. and every time they were hit in a collision side on they would explode ..

Bad design faults cost lives ...

Ford Exploders eh! :D I thought that was an urban myth?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.