Washing lycra

2»

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Ollieda wrote:
    the mystery deepens........

just got my "test" was primark pullover out of the wash and its fine, im getting really annoyed now! why has this happened, my fav jersey aswell! :cry:

the Demond washing machine strikes again :evil: !
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    hopper1 wrote:
    Softeners leave a coating on the fabric, and reduce wicking and breathability.

S'what I meant... innit? :roll:

Yep, but you said it didn't matter with Lycra - it does if you don't want your shorts to stop wicking.

Ok, I overlooked that... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Just shove it in the machine when you walk through the door but make sure you protect your modesty!
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    Ollieda wrote:
    Whats the best way to wash your lycra? I was told by a friend when I first got some that you can't put it in the washing machine as it will get damaged so you have to hand wash it/soak it.
    There's no problem machine-washing Lycra®. I just follow the washing instructions on the labels. My tops and knicks both specify cold wash, delicate cycle, no tumble-dry. The knicks say no fabric conditioner (maybe it affects the chammy?).
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I just wait till the end of the week then stick all my cycling clothes in on a 30 degre synthetic wash. No fabric softener because that's what some of the labels say. Sometimes a few things get washed on 40 and so far they've held together alright.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    dennisn wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Fabric Softner can wreck stitching

Wait a minute. I've used fabric softener for longer than I can remember. As near as I can recall, none of my clothing items fell apart at the seams. Where did this info come from?? :? :? :?

My mum, so it's the total & utter truth :D
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:

Wait a minute. I've used fabric softener for longer than I can remember. As near as I can recall, none of my clothing items fell apart at the seams. Where did this info come from?? :? :? :?

Oh man, I'm really sorry. :oops: :oops:
    Didn't mean to doubt your mom.
    Please don't tell her. :wink::wink:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    fabric softner hasn't effected the wicking of my lycra, only started using it recently on the lycra as the aforementioned housemate likes it!

Don't do sealskinz too hot, don't tuble them either. It causes the porelle membrane to separate from the liner, so they go all crinkly, cool wash for those and then dry inside out, the outer layer will dry pretty quickly once the inner is done.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    dennisn wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:

Oh man, I'm really sorry. :oops: :oops:
    Didn't mean to doubt your mom.
    Please don't tell her. :wink::wink:

It's alright, I don't think she reads this forum :lol:
  • Wash on 30 - 40deg C with similar items e.g. lycra, and tumble dry low. Never had a problem except when velcro sneaks in....

The elastic from the tubigrip might have got warm and snagged the lycra. Tubigrip is crap - buy a bioskin; it will actually support your injury/niggle.

Or, laundry bags!