These pesky dx lights...

M6TTF
M6TTF Posts: 602
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Are hard to ignore for the value for money. Is everyone using them bar mounted or on the helmet? If helmet then how are you fixing it?

Comments

• I just bought this and plan to team it with a tesco torch as a helmet light.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149
  • M6TTF
    Yep that's the light, anyone cobbled together a way of fixing it to a helmet?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    troutie from stw (the guy who builds the mega insane 6
    er lights that turn night into day) did a tear down on one of those magicshine lights that bigbenj_08 linked to.....

he is really honest about his findings and the bad things about them are:

1. Mounting bracket screw only holds on 2 threads...he fitted a longer screw for more security
    2. Lack of heat sink compound to mount led or driver to heat sink...very easily fixed
    3. Cable not all that olidly attached to light head unit...so might tear out in the event of a crash
    4. Battery charger gets very hot...keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn down your house.
    5. Running temperature of the light is quite high.....probably not an issue here because when it is dark it is also usually cold....his thermal paste heatsink compound reduced this a little.

and that was it....all in all he said he wanted to be able to slate it but in all honesty couldn't. especially for the £50 it costs!

link here http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/that-50-quid-dx-bike-light-dissed-disected-oh-sod-it-its-not-good-news
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Newer versions have these issues addressed.
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    Not very fast at shipping though :( Says on the site that it ships in 7 days, 10 days later and i'm still 'waiting on supplier', which probably means I won't get it before the clocks change!!!
    just ordered the same one as benj, only got one as a bit skint at the moment, but next month plan to buy a second and get one of the p7 torches for my noggin. i reckon it should give me enough light :D
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • M6TTF
    No one using this on their noggin then?
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    I got one and it broke after less than an hour's use. I was a fan until then though. :?
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    cambo wrote:
    Not very fast at shipping though :( Says on the site that it ships in 7 days, 10 days later and i'm still 'waiting on supplier', which probably means I won't get it before the clocks change!!!

not sure if you've noticed or not fella but the clocks changed LAST weekend!!!

:lol:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    M6TTF wrote:
    No one using this on their noggin then?

Yes just put the o-ring around one of the lateral vent hole sections on your helmet.

See the What lights thread in Buying advice, there is a picture in there somewhere! 50 odd pages i believe!
  • cee
    i just ordered this version which i think is newer (it certainly has a bigger sku number???)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29489

it seems to come with a headband mount....but i reckon i will bar mount it anyway with a tesco torch on my head.....

Should notice a big difference between this new light and my current one which is a few years old cateye halogen job....

I will keep that for commuting duties.

dx site reckoned dispatch in 2-3 days, then delivery in 14 days after that but my experience of ordering other bits from dx say expect a month.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    cambo wrote:

Maybe its to do with the postal strikes? I ordered a few things from DX last year and got both orders in around 5 -7 days.
  • Yep, I ordered mine and it arrived in exactly 10 days.
    According to Dazza (who knows FAR more about this kind of thing than I do), they ship in batches. So if you get your order in just before they process a batch, you're fine. If you get your order in just AFTER they send a batch, you have a longer wait.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    cee wrote:
    troutie from stw (the guy who builds the mega insane 6
    er lights that turn night into day) did a tear down on one of those magicshine lights that bigbenj_08 linked to.....

he is really honest about his findings and the bad things about them are:

1. Mounting bracket screw only holds on 2 threads...he fitted a longer screw for more security
    2. Lack of heat sink compound to mount led or driver to heat sink...very easily fixed
    3. Cable not all that olidly attached to light head unit...so might tear out in the event of a crash
    4. Battery charger gets very hot...keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn down your house.
    5. Running temperature of the light is quite high.....probably not an issue here because when it is dark it is also usually cold....his thermal paste heatsink compound reduced this a little.

and that was it....all in all he said he wanted to be able to slate it but in all honesty couldn't. especially for the £50 it costs!

link here http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/that-50-quid-dx-bike-light-dissed-disected-oh-sod-it-its-not-good-news

Excellent insight what he said but i do feel he should said it was crap ... because no point sayin the last sentence all because it cost's 50quid ..

That's no excuse in my book !!!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Even like that, most worked for most people. Hardly crap.
  • cee
    colintrav

He pointed out some minor issues, which he chose to fix, although as super says...most people wouldn't bother because he was really picking at straws.....

the reason it wasn't crap had nothing to do with the price tag.....but given the quality of other lights at that price tag (some of which ARE crap)...this is far from crap.

I will add my own opinion when I actually recieve the light I ordered today!

Although....I do fancy one of trouties 6er portable suns.

H.G. Wells.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    ^^^

No Worries ..
  • cee
    colintrav wrote:
    ^^^

No Worries ..

erm....streuth??? :D

ha...i am looking forward to recieving them I must say...for that money they should be shoddy....time will tell!

:D

H.G. Wells.
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    M1llh0use wrote:
    cambo wrote:

In March...
    cambo wrote:
    M1llh0use wrote:
    cambo wrote:

In March...

ahhh, subtlety.

not too used to that round here!!!

{insert smartarse comment here}
  • moggy82
    Im selling one if anyone interested! £60 posted, obviously second hand and standard original one from DX no problems with it, will supply charger adaptor too.

PM me if your interested, done since may (first one in the Uk) with mine with no problems whatsoever. Awesome value. No Warranty obviously, but easy enough to fix problem yourself or send to troutie (with beer money) if a biggie! If it was going to go wrong it would of already id expect!
  • cee
    moggy82 wrote:
    Im selling one if anyone interested! £60 posted, obviously second hand and standard original one from DX no problems with it, will supply charger adaptor too.

PM me if your interested, done since may (first one in the Uk) with mine with no problems whatsoever. Awesome value. No Warranty obviously, but easy enough to fix problem yourself or send to troutie (with beer money) if a biggie! If it was going to go wrong it would of already id expect!

eh! it is £50 new! But i guess if someone wants it quick, that could be worth the extra tenner

H.G. Wells.
  • moggy82
    cee wrote:
    moggy82 wrote:

eh! it is £50 new! But i guess if someone wants it quick, that could be worth the extra tenner

Its £150 new from the UK! through distributor leddite!

And its been proven to work which is an advantage!
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994

Except that that presumably comes with a warranty and is still a massive rip-off compared to dealextreme.
  • moggy82
    grumsta wrote:

Except that that presumably comes with a warranty and is still a massive rip-off compared to dealextreme.

I could easily fix almost any problem that may happen as im getting into my DIY now so the warranty would'nt be a issue. Im sure there are people who will pay a bit more to get it within 48 hours. People still buy tesla's at £275 so this is such a good deal.