Cheap rear wheel for use on trainer

nanox
nanox Posts: 15
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
I just got my first road bike 6 weeks ago, so I know nothing about any of the tech-stuff, and after two days of Google madness, I think I have to throw in the towel and ask for some help.

I just bought a trainer and I want to get a spare wheel, cassette and of course a tyre, so it will be easier to change.

Now, I've found the tire (Continental, I guess it's as good as Tacx', but cheaper, right?) and I found an offer for a tiagra 9-speed HG50 cassette (£14.99), which is what's already on my bike as far as I can tell.

However, I am lost when it comes to finding a rear wheel, could any of you guys help? My only requirement is that it's cheap, as it will only be used on the trainer.

Thanks!

Comments

• Biles
    Biles Posts: 40
    Put a wanted post here theres usually lots of spare wheels going around at reasonable prices. Just make sure you but a 9 speed shimano compatible one
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    You could always just buy the cheapest wheel you can find. Should work fine on a trainer. Nothing special is needed.
  • nanox
    Forgot to mention that I am from Denmark, so a store might be the best option in terms of shipping.

I tried finding a cheap wheel, but there are so many wheels out there and I don't know a thing about it + those cheap wheels never seem to come with any specs, so in terms of compatibility - I'm lost.

But how about this one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43058 It also comes in a version that says "240" instead of the EXE..

:oops:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    nanox wrote:
    Forgot to mention that I am from Denmark, so a store might be the best option in terms of shipping.

I tried finding a cheap wheel, but there are so many wheels out there and I don't know a thing about it + those cheap wheels never seem to come with any specs, so in terms of compatibility - I'm lost.

But how about this one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43058 It also comes in a version that says "240" instead of the EXE..

:oops:

That wheel looks to be a perfectly usable wheel for your home trainer. Low price, It's
    Shimano so will be compatible with you Shimano 9 spd., and just about any 700c clincher tire. 36 spokes, so it will be pretty sturdy(not that it has to be on a trainer) but will also make a good, heavy duty, solid, road wheel. It will also be compatible with your present bikes cassette and the one you are planning on ordering.
  • nanox
    Great, thanks for the help! I ordered the Shimano wheel