British Cycling or CTC

jonesy5
jonesy5 Posts: 13
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
I’ve been cycling now for a few months after a 25 year gap, getting fitter, going further and really enjoying it. Thinking about joining one either British Cycling (everyday membership) or the CTC. Any advice on the benefits of joining either. :?:

Cheers
Jonesy

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on whether you're planning to ride in road races and other BC-sanctioned events. Likewise, if planning to do a sportive in France for example, having a racing license circumvents the need to produce a medical certificate. Both BC (silver or gold) or CTC have additional 3rd party insurance benefits
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    The CTC do a lot of lobbying/advocacy and generally looking out for us, as well as having the insurance thing so IMO membership is a Good Thing. It might be that BC do the same thing but it seems to be the CTC that have the higher profile on that side of things.

I think there have been a couple of threads about this before.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I dont think everyday cycling membership from BC offers cover for competative cycling or gives you a race license. As Monty Dog said it does depend on what type of cycling you would be into...

I went for CTC as it's good for just general cycling out on the road and if you want to get into time trials, offering you insurance for both. Also has loads of advice if your looking to do any big cycling events i.e. coast2coast or LeJog etc.
  • jonesy5
    jonesy5 Posts: 13
    Thanks
    I've no interest in racing, too old & slow. I just commute 2/3 times per week and try to get a longish ride in at the weekend. Although I am thinking of doing a couple of sportives next year when I'm more able.
  • Bill D
    Bill D Posts: 62
    If you join CTC and want to do any audaxes, you won't need to join audax UK because the CTC membership covers audax as well. Sportives are different, but I don't think you need to belong to a cycling organisation to do one.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I do similar stuff, commuting, Sunday ride and the odd sportive. I switched to the Everyday Cycling cover as it was 2/3 of the CTC price and both gave me the cover I needed.