Giant Anthem X1

FBC01
FBC01 Posts: 2
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
Im currently riding a Scott Scale 35. Normal riding locations are in Essex - Epping, Danbury etc with occasional trips (3 or 4 a year) to trail centres. Ive just finished my first year of xc races at thetford, gorrick, beastway.

Have found a 2009 giant anthem x1which i really like. Hoping it will be as quick as the scott but will be a bit more comfy on thetford bumps and get me through those downhills quicker in wales and the peak district

Do i want to have my cake and eat it or will the anthem do this for me without losing speed ?

Comments

• ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Anthem should be fine, very race orientated.
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • tobh
    tobh Posts: 103
    cake ?

sorry, i am confused.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Anthems are rapid, but I've got no idea what your Scott's like to ride so I couldn't begin to compare. It's all relative anyway, so you won't know until you try one.

FWIW I definitely prefer my Anthem to my Cube for trail centres - it's more comfortable and gives me more confidence on the descents. In fact I prefer it just about everywhere :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,821
    My X1 certainly flies on the XC stuff compared to mates with more trail/AM type bikes, so no problem there :) . Not sure how well it will fare on the heavier downhill stuff with 100mm of travel and a light frame. I've had the little rubber ring travel use indicator thingy pushed up against the top of the fork just ragging the bike around Bedgebury (which is mostly XC type stuff). Not been to Wales or the Lakes on it although if you believe the magazine reviews, they felt it could be used for more than just XC. I guess it depends how heavy your downhills and bumps will be...

PS: would recommend you get a 2009 version if you still can, its a cracking bike and the 2010 model is £500 more & has a hideous colour scheme IMO :wink:

Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    my suggestion would be to go for the anthem X and put 120-125 mm forks on it, you should get your money back by selling other forks or ask the shop to do a deal maybe, the bike will then feel much better on decsents yet climb just as well
    people have been doing this with the old Giant trances for last few years, i have 130's on mine
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Stevo_666
    Adjustable travel might be an option as well if you have the budget - as the bike is going to be getting a fair bit of 'mixed use' it'd be good to keep the std travel for XC and push it up 20-30mm for the heavier stuff.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Anthem's really impressive, watched a mate fling his all over the place at kirroughtree, super fast uphill but no slouch even on the steep stuff and rock features, chutes and steps etc. He's quite handy mind, I think myself I'd want something more confidence inspiring but still, it's so much more than a short-travel race bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    Northwind wrote:
    The Anthem's really impressive, watched a mate fling his all over the place at kirroughtree, super fast uphill but no slouch even on the steep stuff and rock features, chutes and steps etc. He's quite handy mind, I think myself I'd want something more confidence inspiring but still, it's so much more than a short-travel race bike.

That's what I like to hear 8)

Part of my buying decision with the X1was based on me living in the SE of England where we're not as blessed with rugged terrain as further North or West - but it's good to know others have been there and done that....all I need now is skill and bottle :)

Steve.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Tried the spark? Also an excellent out and out racey bike, but tough to boot.