Crank bottoms out on axle

cpeachey
cpeachey Posts: 1,057
edited October 2009 in Workshop
I have a Thorn triple crankset. If fitted to Shimano or Stronglight JIS Bottom Brackets the crank goes all the way in (bottoms out).
Sheldons site seems to suggest that an ISO crank fitted to a JIS axle will not go on very far so what type of taper have I got? My Stronglight axle is clearly marked JIS and the Shimano axles fit all my other chainsets. (Stronglight/TA/etc)
Any thoughts please?
Chris

Comments

• EwanR
    EwanR Posts: 16
    What spindle length is the BB that you are trying to fit the crankset to?

The Thorn triple requires a 113mm JIS BB so if the one you have is significantly shorter then it could "bottom out" on the frame.

What do you actually mean by bottoming out? Is the crankset touching the end of the spindle taper without being tight or is it touching the frame?
  • cpeachey
    127mm!!
    Yes the crank touches the end of the spindle and is not tight.
    Chris
  • EwanR
    EwanR Posts: 16
    In that case I would assume that there is something seriously wrong with the crank! It sounds like the tapered hole has been machined to be far too large.

Even if it was an ISO taper it would still hold but the chainline would be shifted a few mm.
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    have you tried it with a campag bottom bracket to see if it uses a campag taper?
    who cares?
  • cpeachey
    I haven't tried Campag. I will contact Thorn tommorrow. It could be a faulty manufacture.
    Chris