Clipless pedals are....

2»

Comments

• i survived :-)
    a few wobbles but managed to stay on

rather subjective, but even after 30 mins, i really like the eggbeaters, i am just hoping my premature ejection problem goes away :-) (sooner be a wuss than scratch or smash my carbon)
  • JCJC
    JCJC Posts: 162
    Good poin. What about hybrid pedals - are they any good ? Was looking at these :
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/33 ... pedal.html
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I had a set of these pedals on my Trek 7.7 fx hybrid, must admit I never tried them, sold them on ebay. Im sure I read somewhere though that you have to use the wellgo cleats, shimano's don't fit properly. I may be wrong though.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • JCJC
    Cheers - anyone have any thoughts on that?
  • I know its an ongoing discussion that will be going on for yearsand years to come, but In my experiance Ive never had a problem with clipless pedals, my feet release as quick and as easy as they do when on flats. It annoys me that people try clipless once and then say its not for them, you need to get used to them, that takes a good few rides

due to my enthusiasm out-weighing my ability, i tend to fall off quite alot, Ive never had a problem with my feet sticking to the bike, they always release.

Paul T
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nothing wrong with sticking with what you lke, I have said that all along.

But it is annoying when people say 'go to SPDs, they are much better and you'll never go back'.
  • JCJC
    and the one sided / hybrid pedals ? Are they any good or do they do both jobs badly ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Worst of both worlds for most people.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    ^^big benj +1 - flats
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    yeehaamcgee wrote:
    Your feet coming off on small jumps is a technique issue, that ideally you should try to resolve, rather than ignore it by using SPDs.

Completely true. Most SPD people who try flats don't stick it out long enough to get over this, in the same way as most flats people who try SPDs don't ever get comfortable with unclipping...

Me, I used to se SPDs, had to stop when I knackered my knee. Learned to ride well on flats and the difference is really pretty negligible. So everyone just go with what you like. Just don't ever blame your pedals for a lack of skill on your part- if you can't jump on flats, that's your fault, and if you can't unclip from SPDs, that's your fault too.

amen to that
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    not for me, i prefer flats, only use spd's for a race or flat boring rides, and if no-one else used them in a race i wouldnt either-i wish they werent allowed
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    flats flats flats.

i often find that people use SPDs when they reach a limit in their ability to perform well on flats, using the SPDs to compensate for lack of good technique. They do promote a more efficient technique, but once you have that, it can be transferred back onto the flats but with the added benefits that flats offer.

i quite like SPDs for long XC routes (not that i do them much!) because it stops me getting lazy with my feet.

but for general trail bashing, FR, DH or mucking around, I prefer the versatility of flats. I would probably wear SPDs if I raced though. I do notice a slight difference in power/efficiency at times. Not enough to warrant every day use, but those extra couple of seconds would clearly be of benefit in a race.

Despite my love for flats, I never leave the house with less than veggie wraps on! :lol: B54's smacking your bare shins on a cold winter morning after you land a drop/jump awkwardly is about as bad as being kicked in the balls by Susan Boyle.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    flats with velcro! :D
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    SPDs but with no cleats on your shoes to remove any risk of not being able to unclip :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dayo
    dayo Posts: 18
    used to do a lot of BMX so i have never used SPD's
    you can't beat a pair of Vans with DMR V12's,works well for me, i dont fancy being clipped on when it all goes wrong,
    Chris
  • Always used SPD's in the 90's and used them again when I started again a few years ago.

Just recently given flats a really long good try and will be sticking with them now. Just need some pimpy Sam Hill five.ten's :D
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • Well i only ride DH & DJ so ive never clipped in, been told it would help my corner speed but the idea of being stuck to my bike scares me tbh lol

As for these facts already posted. clipless gives you more efficient pedalling, more power transfer, better control, lighter pedals, and less scared shins - if flats are good enough for Sam Hill, Fairclough, Blenkinsop etc then im sure there good enough for me :lol:
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633