BNP

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Sewinman wrote:
    petejuk wrote:
    I agree with most here that the policies of the BNP are dispicable and I would summise that there is a good cross section of society posting on this topic. The questions of who voted for them and why still haven't been answered. Aside from a few fascist, racist bigots there were a number of other people who must have voted BNP. This should send alarm bells ringing throughout government.
    I believe that this is an indication that something in society is broken and no one has seen their way to fixing it. Only when the politicians of the major parties immerse themselves in the issues of the BNP voting electorate will they understand what possessed them to make a vote of desperation.

+100. Nail, head, hit.
    Its not a mystery. Simply, never over estimate the intelligence and/or never underestimate the ignorance of the average member of the population.

Additionally, racism, or pretty much any difference-ism is possibly a lot more common than we would lke to admit. There are lots of people who basically don't like foreigners or indeed anyone unfamiliar. Its a pretty basic primate fear response.

The rest of the BNP's vote comes from people who don't really know or understand their policies and, similarly, don't know or understand the policies of anyone else. Since its pretty fashionable to hate anyone in government, or anyone likely to be in government, when operating in an information and cognitive vacuum, "anyone else" might seem a reasonable option.

people have learnt to hide racism - i reckon it's as widespread in my bit of London now as it was 30 years ago - maybe more so.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Suninam? Venezuela? Not sure that Western Sahara is line of sight..... not much in it though.... And anyway to get here from there, they would have to pass Spain and France.

Will England accept asylem seekers from Scotland? :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Porgy
    biondino wrote:
    I am chuckling at the BNP's policy:
    Reject all asylum seekers who passed safe countries on their way to Britain.

Not only does this mean only line-of-sight countries would count (and I'm struggling to think of a repressive totalitarian regime in any of them - Cuba maybe? Western Sahara (is that even considered a country?)? Denmark?), but it means you'd accept asylum seekers from - UGH - France :)

ireland, france, netherlands, Belgium , iceland, Norway and at a push spain, Germany and Denmark.

So that'll be us escaping our responsibilties then - we meddle in a middle eastern or african country and it'll be italy, france, spain, greece, etc who'll be forced to deal with the human fall-out.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Oh, btw, re free health treatment in the European Union - I have in front of me my European Health Insurance Card, which means that if I get sick or injured in the EU I won't have to worry about huge health bills. Pretty neat, I reckon.
    EHIC wrote:
    The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge.

If you don't have one, you can get one for free here.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Sewinman wrote:
    petejuk wrote:
    I agree with most here that the policies of the BNP are dispicable and I would summise that there is a good cross section of society posting on this topic. The questions of who voted for them and why still haven't been answered. Aside from a few fascist, racist bigots there were a number of other people who must have voted BNP. This should send alarm bells ringing throughout government.
    I believe that this is an indication that something in society is broken and no one has seen their way to fixing it. Only when the politicians of the major parties immerse themselves in the issues of the BNP voting electorate will they understand what possessed them to make a vote of desperation.

+100. Nail, head, hit.

I don't think the fact that the BNP can poll between 1 and 5% indicates something is broken in our society (or at least, it hasn't recently broken), I think it represents that between 1 and 5% of the electorate are on a spectrum ranging from overt race hate to the "I'm not a racist, but . . " brigade (the latter group eschewing the racist label but are quite comfortable supporting a party that "has a point" even if others view that point as racist).

Bottom line, a proportion of our population is racist. (are racist? :oops: )

My hope is that the proportion remains small, and that racist views are constantly slapped down as unacceptable by the majority before such views gain the appearance of acceptability. Hence why we must continue to attack the BNP on the grounds that they are fundamentally racist, not on the grounds that their policy on the economy etc is better / worse than Lib/Lab/Con. Those that lend them support should not be permitted the opportunity to distance themselves from this racist core.
  • Porgy
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nfr2h
    Bullied, attacked and racially-abused more than fifty times in eight weeks. That's the experience of two British Asian reporters posing as a couple and living undercover on a housing estate in Britain during summer 2009.

In a shocking insight into race hate and anti-social behaviour in our neighbourhoods, Tamanna Rahman was pelted with glass and stones and threatened with a brick during an attempted mugging by an eleven year-old boy. Her "husband," Amil Khan, was punched in the head. Yet the head of the Government's equality watchdog has said that having a neighbour of a different ethnic background isn't an issue any more.

Panorama investigates the truth about racism and anti-social behaviour in Britain today.

I haven't been able to watch this myself yet - but thought it might be interesting and relevant.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Porgy, it was depressing, but unfortunately unsurprising.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Looking forward to the Queen's speech on the Beeb this year.

Should make great TV when Dimbleby interrupts to question Her Majesty as to why Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Seikhs, Hindus, Budhist etc aren't eligible to be British head of state
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965

Should make great TV when Dimbleby interrupts to question Her Majesty as to why Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Seikhs, Hindus, Budhist etc aren't eligible to be British head of state
    Yes, only zee Germans are allowed to be head of state.

Boom boom. Thank you very much.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326

It's only catholics, I'm pretty certain, who are expressly barred from taking the British throne. And the reason why is there in history.
  • Wallace1492
    Coriander wrote:

It's only catholics, I'm pretty certain, who are expressly barred from taking the British throne. And the reason why is there in history.

Only individuals who are Protestants may inherit the Crown. In the days that the Act of Succession was enacted there was only one or tother. Others are not barred specifically, but the monarch must be a Protestant.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Anyone can choose to be Protestant though (on the off chance that they get offered the monarchy!), you can't choose the country of your grandparents' birth, or the colour of your skin.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • tailwindhome

Yes, only zee Germans are allowed to be head of state.

Boom boom. Thank you very much.

Canadians.They come over here mocking our Royal Family. Deport the lot of them.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Others are not barred specifically, but the monarch must be a Protestant.

The difference being?
  • Porgy
    Can I be deported to Canada too?
  • Wallace1492

The difference being?

The difference in what? UK Monarch must be Protestant, Catholics are specifically barred.
  • tailwindhome
    bails87 wrote:
    Anyone can choose to be Protestant though (on the off chance that they get offered the monarchy!), you can't choose the country of your grandparents' birth, or the colour of your skin.

Its's true that anyone can be protestant, however should one have to renounce their entire belief system in order to be eligible to be head of state. Would an immigration control which demanded that Muslims renounce Islam before entering Britain be acceptable?

If Prince Charles was to convert to Islam he would be ineligible to succeed as Monarch. Would that be acceptable?
  • tailwindhome
    Porgy wrote:

Are you Canadian?

If not you have to stay in London

Tough
  • Porgy
    bails87 wrote:

Its's true that anyone can be protestant, however should one have to renounce their entire belief system in order to be eligible to be head of state. Would an immigration control which demanded that Muslims renounce Islam before entering Britain be acceptable?

If Prince Charles was to convert to Islam he would be ineligible to succeed as Monarch. Would that be acceptable?

if they all converted to islam we'd have to abolish them
  • Porgy
    Porgy wrote:

Are you Canadian?

Tough

but i'm rude about the royal family on a regular basis.
  • tailwindhome
    Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Are you Canadian?

Tough

but i'm rude about the royal family on a regular basis.

No

You're staying
  • tailwindhome

The difference being?

The difference in what? UK Monarch must be Protestant, Catholics are specifically barred.

Your post seemed to suggest that there was a difference between being specifically excluded and being excluded by the imposition of a condition you don't fufil

I may have misunderstood
  • Wallace1492

The difference being?

Your post seemed to suggest that there was a difference between being specifically excluded and being excluded by the imposition of a condition you don't fufil

I may have misunderstood

No, you are correct. But think at the time the Act was brought in, there were no other options. And it was specifically barred Catholics just to rub it in.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited October 2009
    prj45 wrote:
    DDD wrote:
    I do think that if you choose to live in another country you should at least learn to understand and respect the culture of the Country you're living in.

What, all immigrants must immediately love the country, even the bits that are crap?

But I clearly did not say that did I!?

How does 'understand and respect' equate to 'immediately love' unconditional or otherwise?

Seriously, while you preach against the blind rantings of the Far Right might be just. You aren't doing yourself any favours with such excitable leaps towards, frankly wild, accuasations.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Porgy
    If we accept immigrants into the country it must be uncondtional - there's no point demanding something that cannot be tested.

The one thing I'd demand though is that anyone living here pays their taxes however rich they are.
  • DonDaddyD
    Porgy wrote:
    If we accept immigrants into the country it must be uncondtional - there's no point demanding something that cannot be tested.

The one thing I'd demand though is that anyone living here pays their taxes however rich they are.

I'm not for testing people's 'love' :roll: or knowledge of a Country. However, being able to look at this with a intimate understanding of another Culture I secure in saying that understanding and being respectful of British culture helps and has helped my integration into this Countries society.

If I went to China, America, a Country in Africa or any Country that mostly practices Islam I would have to adapt to their social practices and ultimately cultural practices. The better my adaption and understanding of it, the easier I will find adjusting to (as well as living and fitting into) that Country.

I'm not saying that a foreign person must give up their identity but in the same way that British people sometimes get criticised for going abroad and expecting people in the foreign Country to speak British and are rightly criticised for it. It isn't much to ask to at least respect and understand British culture. I'm not fan of buzzwords like multiculturalism that Labour touted (and used as a tool to call the Right racist) but I am fan of integration and the only way to achieve it is through understanding and respect of others different from you and what you know.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    prj45 wrote:
    DDD wrote:
    I do think that if you choose to live in another country you should at least learn to understand and respect the culture of the Country you're living in.

What, all immigrants must immediately love the country, even the bits that are crap?

How does 'understand and respect' equate to 'immediately love' unconditional or otherwise?

Seriously, while you preach against the blind rantings of the Far Right might be just. You aren't doing yourself any favours with such excitable leaps towards, frankly wild, accuasations.
    I agree with the sentiment, DDD, but why is the UK reinventing the wheel? The test they give to people applying for British nationality is just humiliating. A friend of mine did it, just before leaving in near disgust.

Other countries, like Canada and Australia, simply achieve the same ends by including language skills in the points system. It is simple. A Kiwi friend of mine got Canadian citizenship. Believe it or not, he was asked for some proof of ESL training (a clerical error!). Why on earth don't the UK do this rather than ask a bunch of random questions that half of the population don't know the answer to anyway?
  • PARIS75
    PARIS75 Posts: 85

Other countries, like Canada and Australia, simply achieve the same ends by including language skills in the points system. It is simple.

good point but there are a great deal of Afghans entering the country illegally at the moment attempting to escape a war zone

Should we subject them to an English test?

Stranger still, they travel through France but dont feel inclined to stop off in this so called safe country... :!: can anyone explain why :?:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    prj45 wrote:
    DDD wrote:

I agree with the sentiment, DDD, but why is the UK reinventing the wheel? The test they give to people applying for British nationality is just humiliating. A friend of mine did it, just before leaving in near disgust.

Other countries, like Canada and Australia, simply achieve the same ends by including language skills in the points system. It is simple. A Kiwi friend of mine got Canadian citizenship. Believe it or not, he was asked for some proof of ESL training (a clerical error!). Why on earth don't the UK do this rather than ask a bunch of random questions that half of the population don't know the answer to anyway?

Yep. Girlfriend had a friend who took the test. What was currently happening on Eastenders... pathetic... I agree with you AT.
    Food Chain number = 4