Panaracer trailraker or Bontrager Mud X TR

clwydian_rider92
clwydian_rider92 Posts: 416
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
The nights are rolling in fast as well as the crap weather - poor riding conditions! Just wondering for the British weather which one of these or any other suggestions would be best for the winter? And if the trailraker whats the riding difference between folding and wire or is it just weight? My riding is purely XC on fire roads, grass banks some rocky sections and a bit boggy!

THANKS!
Giant XTC SE 2006
Cube LTD Race 2009
Trek Fuel EX 9

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The Trailraker is the best in all-out gloop but for a more versatile tyre i'd go for the Bonty
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I don't have that much confidence in the trailrakers ability to hold up to rocks. I'd go for the bonty mud x, but I think they're both great tyres.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Yup trailraker is pretty mud specific the bony is the better all rounder.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • I've got a trailraker on the rear and a bonty on the front. Don't ask :lol:

Experience would say that the opposite would be a better solution. The Bonty is a great all rounder and the trailraker is great in the mud.

Both are good winter tyres.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If you're riding in gloopy mud all the time then a Trailraker wins hands down, if you're riding mixed conditions with rocks and roots as well then a Mud-X is a far better option.
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    what width is the mud-x
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The description you give of your riding doesn't sound like you need out and out mud tyres.

I'd use a good all rounder which would cope, Nobby Nics etc.

I have Trailrackers but they don't go on unless the mud gets excessive.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Bonty Mud X TR's come in at 2"

I find them a great all-round winter tyre, I even used one on the rear for commuting last winter :shock:

They shed mud like nobody's business, grip when the going gets gloopy, and on-road they're not too bad either.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    robertpb wrote:
    The description you give of your riding doesn't sound like you need out and out mud tyres.

I'd use a good all rounder which would cope, Nobby Nics etc.

I have Trailrakers but they don't go on unless the mud gets excessive.

I agree with this, the trailrakers only really make sense for really gross mud. They simply don't hook up well on slippery roots and rocks, and they are properly slow. That said i've got no idea what i'm going to do for the winter yet, i've just tubelessed my summer wet tyres so we'll see how they hold out.
  • Are the Bonty's quite fast rolling compared to other winter tyres and will they last up until about March?
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Are the Bonty's quite fast rolling compared to other winter tyres and will they last up until about March?

I think there is a lot of confusion about these types of tyre, to me they are mud tyres not winter tyres.

If we had torrential rain in the middle of summer and all the trails were total gloop I would have no problem sticking my Trailrackers on.

On the other hand if the trails were bone dry in the middle of winter Racing Ralfs etc would be on the bike.

It's about the tyre for the job.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Spot on. Which is why I've ended up with a right eclectic mix of tyres and just this second bought some value, low profile, hard wearing, folding semi slicks to finish the collection off. :P
  • totally agree with you but the majority of winter riding is in gloopy mud and wet grass etc. Just been reading reviews on kenda nevegals (dtc lite version). Would they be anygood for my purpose as ive seen them for £20!
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • blister pus
    I wasn't suggesting you get some super cool semi slicks like me but I'll guarantee I'll get some use out of them this Winter (starting now) obviously less so than my Kenda Nevegal or Specialized Sauserwind Controls in the depths. You can never have too many tyres.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    what do you do when it's been dry for weeks and you've popped the dry tyres on then once you've been gone say 45 mins it pours with rain?
  • blister pus
    choose semi slicks that can handle wet - or use sauserwinds - and get half decent forecasts
  • Ive decided to go with the Bonty's. Problem is put them into google search comes up with Bonty Mud X (no TR)! Any difference?

(sorry for the million q's)
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • Dont quote me on this but I think all mud x are tubeless ready. They only do 26 and 29er version

Just bought a pair myself for 45 quid

See here

http://bontrager.com/products/components/tires
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Is the aramid bead Mud X different from the kevlar?

JE James have them for under £20, but I'm assuming it's a lesser version?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrager-mud-x-item116049.html
  • S_J_P
    Aramid is kevlar, same stuff.

I use my Mud-X's right up until the trails dry out, which was May this year :shock:
  • llamafarmer
    S_J_P wrote:
    Aramid is kevlar, same stuff.

I'm just confused because even the RRP on JE James is £25, which is less than most places are selling them for. Does that mean there's 2 different rubber compounds available?
  • S_J_P
    I've only heard of Gum-Bi treaded Mud-X's (Bonty's two compound tread) in 1.8" and 2" guises, both tubeless ready (TR) and Aramid (kevlar) beaded.

Having just Googled them, there is some reference to Bonty's ARC sidewall as an option (which will be heavier and cost more) but I can't see whether it's for sale anywhere.
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    bontys mud x sounds like the winner, was going to ask the same question but ths thread has just answered it thanks fellas
  • llamafarmer
    lock1981 wrote:
    bontys mud x sounds like the winner, was going to ask the same question but ths thread has just answered it thanks fellas

I'm gonna give them a go too. My LBS have them for about £30 each so I'll see what kind of deal they'll give me for a pair, then see how they handle the wet roots and rocks of Bristol... :twisted:
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    maxis medusa is very similar to the mudX and a great alternative :wink:
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    got my mud x today 50 for too going for a blast tomorrow ill let yous know how they perform