workstands + carbon + mudguards

huuregeil
huuregeil Posts: 780
edited October 2009 in Workshop
Hello,

I'm looking for a workstand. It will be used with, among others, a carbon race bike, and a tourer with mudguards.

Now, I had been set on getting one of the stands with a front fork clamp arrangement (Tacx Spider Team, Elite Spin Doctor, Park PRS20) - these seem to be the business when it comes to dealing with carbon bikes, plus look a lot more stable when cranking hard on things like bottom brackets.

However... I have just had a thought. Looking at the clamping arrangement, what happens when your bike has front mudguards? Will these not get in the way? It would be a major hassle to have to remove the guard simply to get the bike on the stand.

Anyone own one of these stands who fancies commenting?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Had one and yes mudguards would get in the way. I just use a conventional seat post clamping stand now and it's fine with carbon posts (they're designed around having a clamping force on them). That said if I'm doing something that means twisting the bike around I'll stick a cheap steel post I have instead.
  • huuregeil
    Grand, thanks for the feedback! Looks like I'll be getting one with a standard clamp.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I have the Elite spin doctor - doesn't get in the way of the mudguards on mine
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd second a LONG steel post as well, just to brace as much of the frame. If you're putting a lot of torque in (say for a bb) then i'd always do that with the bike on the floor as opposed to on the stand.
  • huuregeil

Ah, but what mudguards? Race blades? I have full length SKS one.

Cheers,
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    huuregeil wrote:

Ah, but what mudguards? Race blades? I have full length SKS one.

Cheers,

Full length SKS on Enigma Etape and Raleigh 531c - no issue with either.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • huuregeil
    Thanks, that's really helpful. I'd rather get a fork clamp one, so this is encouraging!