Hand pump < £20, sensible options?

Bubbabo
Bubbabo Posts: 26
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Howdy. I'm on the lookout for a hand pump for roughly £20 or less, and it must have a clip on connector or frame clip to fit on the bike tubing. I have seen the ones that have a built-in clip on the pump itself, but they seem closer to £30. What do you think the best options are, considering my price range?

Thx. Bubba

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Would recommend this :
    http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/0119695/UK

Surprise surprise, it's what i have :wink:

It isn't as easy as a track pump but can get my tyres up to decent pressure and have used others where this was not possible, also it has a gauge built in(fairly useless but meh, looks good. :wink:
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Specialized Air Tool Road:
    CYP218.pumps.spairt-399-75.jpg

I really like this pump, it looks nice, works well, uses a decent bottle cage bracket, has some emergency patches in the handle, and costs a tenner.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Lol, would be better off asking:
    'What pump do you own' :wink::lol:
  • ukracer
    ukracer Posts: 421
    just bought a genuine innovations carbon mini pump that also can use C0 2 cartridges
    Not used yet but looks good!
    Merlin have them for under £20 nearly half price
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I have the Topeak Road Morph with the built in gauge, and it's so good I haven't got round to buying a track pump yet! Bit over £20 but worth every penny.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A frame-fit pump is far better at pumping up tyres that some of those excuses for a pump bike ornaments that many people have fitted to their bike. Having a pump mounted by the cage leaves it exposed to all sorts of cr@p in winter and when you come to use it, it doesn't work. Top Peak Road Warrior frame fit, Blackburn or the Zefal HP-X all fit the bill.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I use this. Superb pump. I don't even need to top up with the floor pump when I get home.

The attachment mechanism is not so great, it's held onto the top tube with a velcro strap - mine has occasionally come loose after hitting potholes at speed.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have 3 pumps – a Zefal HPX frame pump, a Lezyne Air Drive (£13) and a Lezyne Road Drive (£20). The best one is the Lezyne Road Drive by far, it is small and weights almost nothing but you can get to 100psi with almost no effort if compared to my other pumps.

Contrary to other people’s comments, the Lezyne Road Drive is mounted on the bottle cage but it seems to fit fine and doesn’t seem to get that much crap – that’s my experience at least.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Have got this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Lezyn ... 360034753/

Even though it is the medium it is very small. Fits on the bottle mounts and looks like it will get in the way but doesn't.

I liked the ye olde pipe to save pushing on the valve when pumping.

Haven't used it in anger but it does get a good write up.