Stuck seat post

tifferz
tifferz Posts: 43
edited October 2009 in Workshop
At the weekend I dedcided that I need to raise my seat post a little, despite riding with it at this height for a number of months.

However when I undid the seat post clamp & tried to wiggle it up it was absolutely stuck.

Anyone got any tips of how to "unstick" it - I dont want to damage my frame by applying too much pressue so just wondered if this is a common problem or any "magic" tricks to get it moved.
May the Forks be with you

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You need a new bike.

I recommend a Litespeed Siena.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    What materials are the frame / seatpost?
    Cycling weakly
  • tifferz
    it is a Scott Speedster S40 - I think both frame & seat post are some kind of alloy.

Would love to use this as excuse to get new bike but not sure that would get approval from domestic management
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

the hacksaw method worked for me.
  • tifferz
    Thanks Lateralus - looks like there a few ideas to try tonight in the garage.
  • duracer
    duracer Posts: 17
    edited October 2009
    glad you maid it
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    The rather brutal method which worked for me was to fit an old cheap saddle on to the post then I belted the nose sideways with a 4lb lump hammer until it turned the post. Once the post is turning then extraction is just a matter of perserverance.

This was on a tough old steel MTB though. I would probably be more gentle on a decent roadbike.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Stihl_MS260.JPG
  • wd40, and a heat gunn, with some raw power!!!
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • tifferz
    cheers for all the advice, managed to get it out last night.

Went for the "old saddle & hammer" technique which worked eventually & didnt even destroy the old saddle.

Now nicely greased to avoid happening again