Front Light Help Needed!!

jed1978
jed1978 Posts: 87
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

I have just moved house, from city to country, and need some advice on a good front light set up.
I currently have a Cateye EL530, but am wondering if there is a light better suited to unlit road commuting on fairly busy roads?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Catey ... 360025758/

Also, if anyone has a light they feel would be suitable (pref rechargable variety) please drop me a line.

Many thanks

Jed

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

All you'll ever need and more!
  • jed1978
    Hi Napoleon,

I take it you use one of these?

Had it long?

Battery life?
  • I've been using the DX magicshine on my commuter for the last month, (even in the light to test runtime!) and so far so good. I typically get 3 hours + run time on full power and it seems to be holding together so far.

I was going to build a "mega" self build light with lumiled K2s and a Li-Ion lap top battery, but this DX light has put my project on hold for now as my self build would have cost a lot more to complete. I may have to up my game for the effort to be worth it, I found a 27W LED kicking around the workshop last week, I wonder!.

DX is pretty good for £50.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • jed1978
    thanks

How long is the charge time?
  • I've used this for ages. It just BURNS through the dark, is bombproof, weatherproof, small, light, rechargeable and long lasting. Also comes with a helmet mount option, which rocks. Maybe the only criticism is that the beam is a bit too narrow for mountain-bikers. But for the purposes you need it for, I think it's perfect. Exposure in general just make the most kick-arse products IMO.

Have a look at the reviews, they speak for the product;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Expos ... 360037879/

20% off right now too, get IN...!! ;-)

Good luck. Oh, and if you get this, don't be a numpty and lose the clip, or you'll have to buy another one for 8 squid like I did recently...!
  • jed1978
    nice light, may be a little out of my price range at the moment though.
  • DX charges in about 3 to 4 hours.

The spot is ok for road use and has sufficient spill to light the hedgerows. I used to use two 'tweaked' 3W Tesco torches on a handle bar bracket , the DX magic shine is a lot better, brighter and better spread of light.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i looked at the dealextreme too but there were a handful of people talking of bad service so it was put off it abit

I bought a Hope Vision1 light and i've been very impressed with it - wiggle have them at £72 at the moment bu you wil need some decent rechargeables to run it (I bought 4 2700Mah + smart charger for £14.99 from amazon).

it's very good - I moved out to the country in February and needed a light to see through the lanes - it certainly does the job although I often wonder if I would have got a better deal with a P7 torch or Magicshine lightset from DX
  • jed1978
    sounds perfect
    how long did it take to ship to you?

few grumbles on website about long delivery times.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    me? - well I got it from ribble as wiggle didn't have them in stock - ribble were £71.83 with free delivery.

but after a couple of days of non-arrival typically wiggle got it back in and i wished I had bought it there. Ordered it on Monday morning from Ribble - it came on thursday which is actually OK.

I've never not had something next day from wiggle - ever. - even ordering at like 3:30pm!

I think lots of places have been selling out of the vision1 recently - but most places seem to have it in now. UKbikestore have it at £64 at the moment with the code in cyclingplus. but i called them on monday and they didn't have any in stock although they were expecting some by the end of the week.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jed1978 wrote:
    sounds perfect

7 days.
  • Hi gkerr4, I'm sure that your Hope is a great light, I spent a bit of time looking at them on the stand at Earls Court, very well made and I'm sure it will serve you well for a long time. Really no buts.

So why buy a DX magicshine? Well I wouldn't want to mislead anyone on this issue, the DX light is made to a price, sure it uses a good LED from the current crop available, but it is a risk, for £50 I felt it was worth it.

Given that LEDs are moving on really quickly, getting brighter, more efficient and comparitively cheaper all the time, products will be changing fast in the next year or so. New car head lights anounced last week and "no maintenance" commercial lighting products will be driving this.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • toslow
    toslow Posts: 85
    I don't know your budget but if it's a little tight like mine was i bought ( don't laugh ) a set of lights from Argos . Would do a link but not sure how to do it .
    The make at the time when i purchased them was 'Euro light' , i think it's a different brand now but they look identical .
    They have two lamps both have 8 led's , they have the same strength , i aim one a little further ahead than the other , i have had mine for 2 years and have found them all i need on those early morning commutes down here in cornwall . They certainly stop the car drivers leaving there high beams on .
    The battery , which is rechargeable gives about 8 to 10 hours with both lamps going . The bracket that the battery comes with is complete pants , so i put mine in a topeak top tube pack .
    I know it's certainly not a fancy set of lights and i suppose the weight is a bit up on other more expensive offerings but these lamps are great for road use .
    I have had colleagues who have seen me while in there cars comment on how bright these lights are.
  • +1 for Hope Vision 1 LED.

Had mine 3 weeks. Night rides over unlit moorland roads are no problems. Cars dip their lights such is the brightness. 3 hours on full with Unross 2700 rechargeables. Fab quality even in torrential rain.

Read reviews on the Magicshine and was put off by posts about light failures etc. It is cheap and seems a bargain but the light pack is not waterproof according to one pic I saw.
  • I was lucky to win one of these for a letter to Cycling Plus and it's all the light I need to ride along completely unlit Warwickshire lanes. Only gripe is that it didn't come with a bracket for oversize bars, which I had to buy. But the beam is fantastic - I can ride as fast as I do in daylight and you apparently get 5 hours per charge on full beam - more than enough for me.

I previously had a Cateye Single Shot Plus - DO NOT BUY - the bracket broke on the first one and then the replacement. See the reviews on this site - a good light, but too heavy for its bracket.

Cheers
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Go and look at the mountian bike forum, and the (sticky - top of the page) thread - "What light."

Current & fantastic info there if your looking for a front light. It really is worth reading, trust me.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    jed1978 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I have just moved house, from city to country, and need some advice on a good front light set up.
    I currently have a Cateye EL530, but am wondering if there is a light better suited to unlit road commuting on fairly busy roads?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Catey ... 360025758/

Also, if anyone has a light they feel would be suitable (pref rechargable variety) please drop me a line.

Many thanks

Jed

I use one of these with a dinolte next to it works fine even at fast speeds on unlit roads
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    NapoleonD wrote:
    jed1978 wrote:
    sounds perfect

7 days.
    I also ordered one of these a week ago and they are still waiting for their supplier according to the website.I have my P7 and my Fenix so no hurry, but a bit frustrating. Is the Macshine better than the P7?
    Ademort :)
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ademort
    Update
    Have just checked the website and the Macshine is now IN STOCK.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Magicshine is pretty identical to the P7 beam wise. Advantages of the magicshine are battery run time and you just need that kit (plus an adaptor or nick a standard figure of 8 cable for thr charger) no need to buy chargers, batteries or torch holders.
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    ademort wrote:
    Update
    Ademort

Still showing back ordered for me!
  • ademort
    mrchrispy wrote:
    ademort wrote:
    Update
    Ademort

Still showing back ordered for me!
    Just checked again, my order was on 10-10-2009 and shows order recieved-In Stock
    When did you order? Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    not ordered yet, its the product page that says its on back order.
    rather wait till it says they have it in stock as they sit on your cash while they are waiting for suppliers.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I hope I get mine before the strike starts on Thursday (mine was shipped last week on Monday!)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got the Hope Vision LED Epic, it's the predecessor to the Vision 2 Epic. You get bags of power, 3 settings and plenty of run time. I've been using it for a couple of years off road and find it really good. I have friends who use the same model on the road and even on the low setting it gives them a good spread of light, hours of run time, and more importantly, cars slow down as they think you're a motorbike.

Get the brightest yuo can afford.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved