What type of cleat should I go for -- newbie advice

shaun_wells
shaun_wells Posts: 11
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
I'n looking at getting some new look pedals (classic or sprints)and I need to some more information on the different type of cleat angles that are available and benefits of these.. I believe these come in 0, 5 & 9 degress.. How do you know which is best to buy... Is it just down to personal preference or riding style..

Any advice welcome,

:?

Cheers..
Shaun.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I just use the cleats that come with the pedals (usually the 4.5 degree one).
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • M8 only used SPD and Speedplay. Started on SPD these were great and more or less bomb proof, 1 of the only reasons I moved from SPD to Speedplay was the fact I bought another bike (see Sumer Ride) and thought SPD's on that would not look right; so rather than buy another pair of shoes, I went for Speedplay, and to be honest never looked back. The Cleats are a bit of a faff to get set up but once done they are easy in stay in and easy out, they have a good float adjustment system, which BTW I have reduced to the minimum.
    Float for me was a non-starter I am happy with my feet being in a fixed angle.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    As only a newbie a couple of years ago, I'm learning fast! Just wish the riding was fast too!

Anyways, I started with ''Look'' pedals over two years ago, and then moved over to Speedplay about six months ago. (As everhyone will tell you) they are a little bit of a pain to set up, but once your rocking and a rolling you won't look back. Solid, double sided, no springs, lightweight, etc, etc. Seriously - consider Speedplay.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    + 1 for Speedplay Zeros.
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    I have 0 deg float cleats on Shimano SPD SL's, i.e. pretty close to yoru possible Look set up. A lot of people are worried about 0 deg float and people have suffered knee damage due to incorrect set up.

Get a bit of float, we're not in Le Tour here and the loss in power transfer is negligible for your average punter. I'm happy with my 0 deg but I have tended to stay injury free through years of various sports so perhaps I'm lucky with my physiology.