lights - Magic Shine

merlie
merlie Posts: 276
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Just taken delivery of my magic shine .... BRILLIANT ... best £50 on bike bits I've spent so far ! .... so you gotta wait a while for delivery - just get the order in sooner rather than later ... don't keep thinking about it and reading all around the subject in forums such as these like I did - JUST DO IT

Comments

• merlie wrote:
    Just taken delivery of my magic shine .... BRILLIANT ... best £50 on bike bits I've spent so far ! .... so you gotta wait a while for delivery - just get the order in sooner rather than later ... don't keep thinking about it and reading all around the subject in forums such as these like I did - JUST DO IT

where you get them from?
    Speed is life12.gif
  • How strange is that, I was just looking at the dealextreme site and spotted that light....Let us know how you get on with it.

I had made up my mind with the Exposure maxx d, but now I'm not so sure....
  • I bought mine here on fleabay.
    They still ship from HK but you are dealing with a UK seller, so have a contact point and a bit more protection. They took about three weeks to arrive.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • I've been meaning to get these for a while now. With today's exchange rate, the DX price is £50.35. The Ebay price is £64.99.
    Do the maths!
  • Trailradar
    Trailradar Posts: 131
    edited November 2009
    Just how weatherproof is the light and battery pack? Could it survive 4hrs in constant rain?

does the UK sellers have the UK plug fitting?

who is the uk seller?

They even do the magic shine torch for bike now (P7-D - model number - Geo Man)!!

Does anyone know if I get these lights shipped from United States to United Kindom via Geo Man that I willhave to pay any import duty or taxes and if so how much?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It seeems so.

Yes.

Lumicycle 'leddite'.
  • The ebay seller has UK plug 5 mode lamps and US plug 3 mode lights, amongst other things. A mate has supposedly ordered me one tonight. I'll let you know how long it takes.
  • Hope he has stock.

I ordered two of them (25149 and 29489) from DX. Ordered 25149 on 23/10/09 and 29489 on 29/10/09. 29489 is currently with hongkong post waiting to get shipped out, but 25149 is showing on the DX website now as 'temporary stock shortage', so i've sent them an email asking them if the 5 mode one (30864) is available and if they can change the order to that.

if its taking 3 weeks, it may even be that the seller is buying them from DX, or could be going straight to the manufacturer. Of course, if he already has stock you may well end up with the light in the next few days.
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • in another customer response elsewere it mentioned lens colours were easy to change - do they lens colours come with Magic shine or do you need to buy seperate?

also looked at deal extreme website (uk supplier) but seems that plug is US and not UK version! DX forum at bottom of MAgicshine page seems to have allot of customers complaints and issues with lights (charger, electronics, etc. etc.) Hope its just a small bunch of lights with that issue and not an ongoing theme with the el-cheapo Lupine copies. I have ordered Magic shine today so will road testg self and hope all goes well. I suppose if it just lasts 6 months through dark nights in winter, used 5-6 times per week then I will get good run for money!!!!!
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    I've yet to get a real test on the reliabilty of these lights ... anyothers out there got some decent test results ?
  • jafkj
    jafkj Posts: 9
    got two on me bars there the nuts been using them for about 3 weel now no probs thats 900+900 =1800 lums boy i can see...........
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    Trailradar wrote:
    in another customer response elsewere it mentioned lens colours were easy to change - do they lens colours come with Magic shine or do you need to buy seperate?

also looked at deal extreme website (uk supplier) but seems that plug is US and not UK version! DX forum at bottom of MAgicshine page seems to have allot of customers complaints and issues with lights (charger, electronics, etc. etc.) Hope its just a small bunch of lights with that issue and not an ongoing theme with the el-cheapo Lupine copies. I have ordered Magic shine today so will road testg self and hope all goes well. I suppose if it just lasts 6 months through dark nights in winter, used 5-6 times per week then I will get good run for money!!!!!

i think the charger issue is more confusion than actual problem. too me it seems people are confused by the led light colours on the charger.

with the charger plugged in but no battery connected the led will be green.

unplug the charger and connect the battery the led will take power from the battery and be green.

plug in the charger and connect the battery the green light will go red as the battery charges.

with the charger plugged in and the battery connected, when the battery is full the red led will turn green.
    Fancy a brew?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Lens colours ? Why would you want to change them ?

I expect a quality street wrapper and an elastic band would do it if you wanted to ride in technicolour ?
  • cougie wrote:

I expect a quality street wrapper and an elastic band would do it if you wanted to ride in technicolour ?

will have to be the creme wrappers for me!!!! or maybe Cadburys Heroes wrappers!!!!! yipee!!!!
  • if i buy from US comapny (Deal extreme, Ebay or Geoman) does this mean I have to pay for import duty from japan to US then more import duty from US to UK? if so why cant i just get straight from Japan and avoid all import taxes - if any. just seems annoying paying two lots of taxes.

I take it that if I buy from a US company eg deal extreme for $80 (magic shine) and they get it imported from japan andf the US company has to pay import duty then that would be factored into the £80. Then if I had to pay import tax on purchase from US to UK it would bump up price even more. Will wait and see what happens.

Either way would it not be better to buy direct from Japan and get magicshine dirt cheap.

I may write email to big companies like Hope and Lupine to see what they are going to do with people people like magicshine eating into their huge profit margins - hopefully they may stop doing rip-off prices and lower the RRP!!!!!!! Nice
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    Trailradar wrote:
    if i buy from US comapny (Deal extreme, Ebay or Geoman) does this mean I have to pay for import duty from japan to US then more import duty from US to UK? if so why cant i just get straight from Japan and avoid all import taxes - if any. just seems annoying paying two lots of taxes.

I take it that if I buy from a US company eg deal extreme for $80 (magic shine) and they get it imported from japan andf the US company has to pay import duty then that would be factored into the £80. Then if I had to pay import tax on purchase from US to UK it would bump up price even more. Will wait and see what happens.

Either way would it not be better to buy direct from Japan and get magicshine dirt cheap.

I may write email to big companies like Hope and Lupine to see what they are going to do with people people like magicshine eating into their huge profit margins - hopefully they may stop doing rip-off prices and lower the RRP!!!!!!! Nice

DX ship direct from Hong Kong, and i don't think anyone on these boards has been hit with import duty on these lights, i suspect it wouldn't happen unless you were ordering several at a time.

no point in writing to the "big" companies, if the had an issue with people buying the magicshine and not their "overpriced" lights, their lights would be cheaper already, if you can't sell it you drop the price. basic economics that is.
    Fancy a brew?
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    I have had the magic shine for a few months now.
    I was lucky mine came up £39 quid :D Guess i got the exchange rate right.

I use them for 40 mins every weekday morning. I commute down towpaths and dark roads.
    The light could not be any better without seriously annoying cars/bikes/walkers coming the other way.
    They are waterproof for the weather we have been having (cant imagine much worse).
    They last pretty much a week on one charge on full beam.
    I carry a p7 as a backup.

I have also done some MTB night riding with this (when it was dryer). This is as good as lights costing over £200. This with a P7 helmet light is basically daylight. I had a couple of guys looking quite gutted after paying mega bucks on hope lights.

3 things i would like to change.
    1.The lower setting could do with being a bit lower so not to blind people.
    2.You have to cycle through all settings (high, low, flash, off) to get back to high. It would be nice to have a high/low toggle. (This is the same on most expensive lights aswell)
    3.The flash uses the high, so is far to bright for drivers to have the excuse not seeing you other than being blinded.

The lower setting is easy solved by just pushing the light round the bar to a dip position.

I have no idea why people find the charger complex. You plug it in, wait for it to go green then unplug it.

Anyone thinking about getting on. STOP THINKING! ORDER IT NOW!

Tux
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    You WILL get hit with £18 import duty from Geoman, so stick with the Hong Kong importers.

My Geoman light has the 5 modes with the low mode you want.

You can still get these at £39 each if you buy in bulk and know where to go!

I have had one of these for 6 months, with no issues, been on 20-30 night rides all over 2 hours long with no problems, battery does last 3 hours and the quality is brilliant. For the price anyway.

These lights are 550 lumens though not 900 but still good, especailly as hope 4 were tested at 608 lumens not 960.

Tuxpoo said it, stop talking about it and get one before the nights stop drawing in.
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    cougie wrote:

I read this and was trying to work out what a street wrapper was, and why you'd want a good quality one. I think it's caffeine time.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • I have just ordered a MagicShine off Ebay from the US £70.00 inc P&P.
    Reason I ordered this one was that it has 5 modes instead of the normal 2.

It took 5 days to arrive - brilliant Ebay seller

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • cougie wrote:

The alien blue tint is pretty cool. That is why I woud like to change them. Maybe a Cadburys Boost wrapper could do trick!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just be careful you dont melt the wrappers !

Damn - I fancy a chocolate now.
  • My magicshine light just arrived this morning and I'm dying to try it out now. I'll keep you posted on any problems etc.

It took 3 weeks to arrive from HK and cost £51. Bargain!
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • Just tested it in the kitchen and I can only see spots now. It's a bit brighter than I was expecting.
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've got one been using it on the road since the clocks went back. I've only used the high mode once, low is fine even in total darkness. I'd use high off road mind but it's too wet for me ATM.

No issues with overheating, weatherproofness or the charger, I'll get another when I've got some spare cash.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    the lights on the charger thing doesn't happen for me either....

if i plug the charger into the wall...i get no light.
    when i plug the light into the charger, i get a red light...which then goes green when it is charged.

perfect.

now my main night riding light. i was previously using a 15w halogen cateye jobby with a tesco torch (3w cree) cabletied to my helmet....

this just drowns out the cateye even in low mode and the head torch is only visible when i am looking away from the direction my handlebars are pointing (eg, looking for the exit of a turn.)

it has survived a couple of crashes.

best £50 i have spent on bike stuff
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's always an element of luck with import duties I think. It helps, probably, that dealextreme generally ship wrapped in brown paper and string so the packages don't look like a big purchase ;) If you were to buy 2, order seperately so they don't ship together, a £100 package is liable to get taxed, and while that's not the end of the world Parcelforce also bum you for a completely ridiculous and nonnegotiable handling fee of around the eight quid mark, the total ****s.

They are good lights though, that's not really in doubt, except sometimes people who've spent 3-5 times as much to get less light and less battery life refuse to see this ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I ordered my Magic Shine 3 mode (High, Low, Flash) with US plug on the charger. Deal Xtreme took about 5 days to get it to the HK post office, about 3 sitting there and only 2 days to get it me by air. That's what I call fast! I paid with my Pay Pal US dollar account ($79) Delivered in a strong white poly envelope, marked "gift", no taxes paid.

Well packaged and presented as Bicycle Light (no Magic Shine on the box), no instructions but a patent number prominently displayed. Interesting when you consider that this light looks like several of the Lupine products, handle-bar connector and lay out . Who infringed? The price however is a mere fraction of Hope and Exposure (British). B&M and Lupine (German) who all make high-end bike lights.

The light is very bright with a wide spread, and so you might also want a focused spot on the bar or helmet. As for road riding, use low beam to avoid blinding motorists
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    I've been trying my best to trawl through the threads but to be honest I'm a bit brain dead as since I got my bike the other day I've been on forums constantly researching the various accessories I need. So would anyone be willing to do me a big favour and first of all confirm that the Magic Shine is a quality bit of kit then sum up the best and cheapest place to buy, which model to buy and whether any additional items are needed. Thanks in advance.

Dan
    Santa Cruz Tallboy