Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Watches when cycling

DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Spinning out of the hit by a car (and because I don't think it's fair to derail Il Prince's thread any further) here is a chance to talk watches.

OK to begin.

In regards to our recently felled Prince, I recommended that he take his watch to Ernest Jones, not because they can repair his watch, god no, but because they can send his watch directly to Omega (the people who make his watch). Back when I worked as a Jeweller, Omega allowed no one qualified or otherwise to repair their (automatic) watches (especially the ones with co-axial movement, like Prince's watch) other than Omega employed staff, had something to do with assuring standards or something. For that very reason Omega parts are hard to source. This may be folklore or a means of Ernest Jones to jack up the price of an Omega/Rolex and Breitling repair. - God I love watches.

Personally it doesn't matter where you buy the watch but for the watch itself. Same with diamonds, if you know what you're buying you'll know what quality is (and hopefully without the additional cost generated by the shops brand, which usally has nothing to do with the diamond itself - unless they've cut it and made the ring) - My advice, fly to antwerp for the day where most diamonds seem to be graded/certificated and fitted to rings by a ring at less the cost than it will be sold in England fly back the same day.

OK so watches:

Automatic vs Quartz. I'll make this quick. There is no way that an automatic watch can meet the accuracy of a quartz watch. Mechanical watches, the proper wind-up ones, are even worse. What makes an automatic and mechanical watch so special is the care and attention that goes into building them. It's the movement symbolised by the second hands ability to 'sweep' across the dial. I will say that it is possible to make a quartz watch do the same. Think of it like this, if electric or hydrogen fuel cell engines took off, people would still love and appreciate the engineering that goes into building a combustion engine. Bridges vs processors.

I like technology, so I'm Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay and Citizen Eco drive 8700 calibre

My Dad (now 48 ) prefers Automatic watches, I suppose those were the watches of his generation.

I like watches that do things other than tell the time and has decent styling. I don't like huge watches, Breitling (who I believe make a automatic movement capable of vibrating at or near quartz watch level) but then I don't like thin watches either.

I'm a sucker for tag with bezel's and chronographs. The only Rolex I like is the Sub Mariner. The Daytona everyone has gone so crazy for is too big. Love Raymond Weil Parsifal. But part of the reason why I wouldn't 'drop a grand or more' on a watch (even when I had 40% discount working in Ernest Jones is that I couldn't justify the repairs or services.

This brings me to cycling. Of all the watches I've mentioned, they all cost (with the exception of my Citizen, which is my favourite watch) more than the bike I commute on. Now I like nice watches but any clipless moment or accident could see me damaging, or annoyingly scratching a watch with a repair cost that could be more than my bike (if I owned a Omega, Rolex et al) or half the cost of my bike if I owned a Tag or Raymond weil. To each his own and all that but given the risks and the potential costs I rather use a Casio G-shock that is designed to take knocks (it ain't pretty but it does the job better than any named above).
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
«1345

Posts

  • Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've got a cycle computer, or even a phone... why would I cycle with a nice watch on*? Regardless of all the dangers etc it'll get real dirty real quick.

    fwiw I've got a tag link that my lovely lady bought me a couple years back
    http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/content/full/552.jpg



    *after a few bevvys on a brompton is the answer, when I went over a car bonnet and scratched it a bit ffs
    Purveyor of sonic doom

    Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • JameyJamey Posts: 2,152
    You know that lump everyone has on the outside of the wrist? I think it's like the end of a forearm bone, or something. Well I can't stand having anything touching that, except clothing. Certainly not watches anyway. Can't wear them because of that but probably wouldn't wear them anyway because I don't see the point.

    Pretty much every powered object in life has a clock in it. So much so that I remember a great sketch Harry Hill did where him and his "big brother, Alan" (really Al Murray) were competing to see who had the best "clock". It was along the lines of:

    "Look at my clock, you can make phone calls on it."
    (Holds up a mobile phone)
    "Yeah, well look at my clock, you can cook food inside it"
    (Points to a microwave)
    "Oh yeah, well beat this, I can drive around in my clock."
    (Drives up in a car)

    Anyway, the point is that there's no requirement to have a time-telling device on the wrist anymore so while it's perfectly fine to wear watches it's already pure nostalgia/style rather than any technological nonsense.
  • Thanks for creating the new thread DDD.
    Regarding Seiko or Citizen, they don't sell their best watches outside of Japan. To get the one I like I'd have to travel to Tokyo which is annoying to say the least.
  • NGaleNGale Posts: 1,866
    Myself and the commnder are agreed on this one, we both have to wear watches otherwise we feel naked without one. When his watch was in for repair recently he brought a cheap watch just to make up for what was missing as it was driving him nuts after a couple of hours.

    As for using a mobile phone for time, why? What is more conveniant that something accessable on your wrist rather than at the bottom of a bag.

    My watch is the most expensie I've had at £50 for a swatch but it keeps time perfectly.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've got a cycle computer, or even a phone... why would I cycle with a nice watch on*? Regardless of all the dangers etc it'll get real dirty real quick.

    I am humbled by your genius...
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Thanks for creating the new thread DDD.
    Regarding Seiko or Citizen, they don't sell their best watches outside of Japan. To get the one I like I'd have to travel to Tokyo which is annoying to say the least.

    Define best, I know there is a lot of models (from any Asain manufacturer) that doesn't make it into the European markets. But, for example, Seiko have been selling perpetual calendar watches for years... my watch has that...
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I wouldn't wear my watch when cycling, it has a leather strap - that would stink!
  • gert_lushgert_lush Posts: 634
    I have realised today how A) un-Knowledgeable I was on watches (am more Knowledgeable after reading all the watch info) and B) how quite unfashionable I am!

    ****fashion police alert*********

    I am wearing my casio ts-100 which has like 20 time zones and a dodgy thermometer which were both very important to me almost 20 years ago when it was on my birthday list as a kid! reason I wear it is beacause it seems bomb proof to all the activities I do and my Animal watch ran out of batteries every year, this hasn't had a new battery for around 10 years :D:D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • prawnyprawny Posts: 5,426
    I don't wear a watch on the bike anymore, it messes with my long sleeve stuff.

    I like watches and I've got 6 or 7 but I hardly ever wear any of them anymore because the metal straps pinch my skin.

    If anyone has a recommendation of a good looking, low profile, comfortable watch that doesn't cost the earth I'm all ears :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Jamey wrote:
    You know that lump everyone has on the outside of the wrist? I think it's like the end of a forearm bone, or something. Well I can't stand having anything touching that, except clothing. Certainly not watches anyway. Can't wear them because of that but probably wouldn't wear them anyway because I don't see the point.

    Pretty much every powered object in life has a clock in it. So much so that I remember a great sketch Harry Hill did where him and his "big brother, Alan" (really Al Murray) were competing to see who had the best "clock". It was along the lines of:

    "Look at my clock, you can make phone calls on it."
    (Holds up a mobile phone)
    "Yeah, well look at my clock, you can cook food inside it"
    (Points to a microwave)
    "Oh yeah, well beat this, I can drive around in my clock."
    (Drives up in a car)

    Anyway, the point is that there's no requirement to have a time-telling device on the wrist anymore so while it's perfectly fine to wear watches it's already pure nostalgia/style rather than any technological nonsense.

    I haven't worn watches for years I have one nice watch that I wear to posh nights out, but day to day i don't need or want a watch.
  • By best I meant the combination of high quality movements and styling. Compare the Seiko's on this site with the ones available in the UK. Also high end Citizen watches like the Chronomaster are not sold in the UK. I believe Seiko and Citizen do this because they don't think Europeans would pay mega bucks for Japanese watches.

    Although having said that, Seiko are just starting to offer up some of their higher end products in Europe.

    My watch is the most expensie I've had at £50 for a swatch but it keeps time perfectly.

    Nothing wrong with Swatch, they own Omega and a host of other Swiss watch brands, so they should know a thing or two about making decent watches!
  • jedsterjedster Posts: 1,717
    Nothing wrong with Swatch, they own Omega and a host of other Swiss watch brands, so they should know a thing or two about making decent watches!

    And as DDD says, a Swatch will be FUNCTIONALLY superior to any high end automatic mechanical watch (i.e., keeps better time, more reliable, less costly to own, etc.).
  • mrc1mrc1 Posts: 852
    In response to the comment on 60s Omegas on ebay, there is a reason that they are so cheap and that is because many have been badly looked after/are a 60s case with non omega originals and are serviced with non-approved parts meaning that they will likely need at least £100-200 spending on them to service them and have them running properly. Ask one of sellers to send you the movement or case number for the watch and put it into the seamaster seach facility on the Omega website. I can almost guarantee that they wont provide the number as they know that the number wont be found on the website because it is a dodgy watch.

    I had a friend that bought a "bargain" seamaster after seeing my one. After a few weeks his watch stopped running (the movement had rusted due to mositure getting in) and he had to spend £200 having it repaired, serviced and the bad bits replaced.

    Another thing to watch out for is the dome glass (which is actually some sort of plastic). This is very very fragile as it is completely exposed around the sides and front of the watch. Many watches have non-official replacements fitted which dont fit properly and allow mositure to get into the dial. The dome is also an integral part of the seating mechanism for the movement, so unless the dome is exactly the right model for the movement it will allow the movement to move around in the body of the case. This will cause all sorts of problems and can damage the internals big time if you do something as simple as shake someone's hand too hard!!

    Sorry if the above is a bit ranty, but my mate's experience and the lecture he got from the watchmaker really sticks in my mind!

    If you want a good reliable omega then have a look online at some of the more reputable watchmakers and then go and look at the watch before you buy it. If the shop know what they are doing they will more than happily take the back off and show you the internals.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

    Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

    Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • jedsterjedster Posts: 1,717
    good advice I'm sure. Of course some of the prominent ebay sellers are actually offline watch dealers of longstanding.
  • If you want a good reliable omega then have a look online at some of the more reputable watchmakers and then go and look at the watch before you buy it. If the shop know what they are doing they will more than happily take the back off and show you the internals.

    ++1!
    I think you should always physically see and wear the watch you are going to buy. I don't trust ePrey at all.
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    artaxerxes wrote:
    By best I meant the combination of high quality movements and styling. Compare the Seiko's on this site with the ones available in the UK. Also high end Citizen watches like the Chronomaster are not sold in the UK. I believe Seiko and Citizen do this because they don't think Europeans would pay mega bucks for Japanese watches.

    Although having said that, Seiko are just starting to offer up some of their higher end products in Europe.
    OK yeah I agree, was happening when I was shaping to leave my part time Uni job for my first full time job.

    My watch is the most expensie I've had at £50 for a swatch but it keeps time perfectly.

    Nothing wrong with Swatch, they own Omega and a host of other Swiss watch brands, so they should know a thing or two about making decent watches![/quote]

    Yeppers, Swatches are cool and like Seat, Skoda and Volkswagon probably come out of the same factory and share the same parts as Omega and Tissot who are also owned by Swatch.

    I think Rolex and Breitling are the only stand alone companies these days... (Though I will always question the quality of the Rolex movement compared to the price charaged). I.e. I always saw more Rolex watches coming in for repair than anyother watch automatic or otherwise...
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    In response to the comment on 60s Omegas on ebay, there is a reason that they are so cheap and that is because many have been badly looked after/are a 60s case with non omega originals and are serviced with non-approved parts meaning that they will likely need at least £100-200 spending on them to service them and have them running properly. Ask one of sellers to send you the movement or case number for the watch and put it into the seamaster seach facility on the Omega website. I can almost guarantee that they wont provide the number as they know that the number wont be found on the website because it is a dodgy watch.

    I had a friend that bought a "bargain" seamaster after seeing my one. After a few weeks his watch stopped running (the movement had rusted due to mositure getting in) and he had to spend £200 having it repaired, serviced and the bad bits replaced.

    Another thing to watch out for is the dome glass (which is actually some sort of plastic). This is very very fragile as it is completely exposed around the sides and front of the watch. Many watches have non-official replacements fitted which dont fit properly and allow mositure to get into the dial. The dome is also an integral part of the seating mechanism for the movement, so unless the dome is exactly the right model for the movement it will allow the movement to move around in the body of the case. This will cause all sorts of problems and can damage the internals big time if you do something as simple as shake someone's hand too hard!!

    Sorry if the above is a bit ranty, but my mate's experience and the lecture he got from the watchmaker really sticks in my mind!

    If you want a good reliable omega then have a look online at some of the more reputable watchmakers and then go and look at the watch before you buy it. If the shop know what they are doing they will more than happily take the back off and show you the internals.

    Solid advice, same thing a horlogist said when advising me on mainting a high quality watch. It's notjust the watch itself but the parts used to maintain it. A lot of people overlook that.

    +1!
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Another thing to watch out for is the dome glass (which is actually some sort of plastic). This is very very fragile as it is completely exposed around the sides and front of the watch.

    Like most areas of eBay, it's easy for the uninitiated to get ripped off. A proper service will set you back about £120 from a good horologist, including a new crown and crystal. You should budget for at least this. On the plus side, good watches of this era will work forever when serviced correctly, they were made to the truly highest spec. Fakes are a lot easier to spot too, because they look so damn poor compared to the real thing.

    Oh, and the plastic is marketed as "Armoured Hasselite", it's actually acrylic. They aren't actually fragile, but do scratch relatively easily. They were required for the moon missions, as even sapphire glass can shatter, acrylic can't.
  • As I mentioned on the other thread, if you're in London why take it to Ernest Jones when there's a perfectly good Omega branch with Omega engineers in it?
  • I have a fancy watch which I got for a mid-life crisis time birthday present. I love it, despite it being most of the things I would not have expected to like in a watch.

    But I don't wear it for cycling: first because I can feel the weight of it moving when I hit bumps, and secondly for the reason IP has so recently pointed out. If you have an off, it can turn out to be a great deal more expensive than it needs to me. So I have a cheapie timex for riding.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

    Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I had a nice animal titanium kinetic jobbie until some cnut stole it from the gym...

    Have yet to replace it and wrist feels odd without it but getting used to the lack of item. I'd definitely get a kinetic again however if I was to.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • TommyEssTommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I don't wear my watch whilst riding for two reasons.

    1) If I crash, I'm scared of damaging it (it's not in the Omega league, but it's still a nice watch, and not cheap to replace.

    2) I don't want to deglove my hand with my watch (in the result of a crash)

    Add on to that, the bulk, the way my seams won't sit flush, it'll interfere with my gloves - you can't wear armwarmers over the top, aerodynamics...

    Yeah.... my computer has a clock on it - I do like to know the time, and I can read it right off below my speed (Cateye Strada - you can display the clock all the time as the secondary output)

    And for the guy down at Palmer Park on Tuesday who was repeatedly checking his watch in the train, losing the wheel and moving all over the place - WTF were you playing at?! You're not going to turn into a pumpkin for fear of not knowing the correct time - move out of the train if you're just going to censored around...


    *I fear I have gone slightly OT here... Apologies.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    As I mentioned on the other thread, if you're in London why take it to Ernest Jones when there's a perfectly good Omega branch with Omega engineers in it?

    No reason LiT no reason at all. Your point is as awesome as you are.
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    As I mentioned on the other thread, if you're in London why take it to Ernest Jones when there's a perfectly good Omega branch with Omega engineers in it?

    No reason LiT's no reason at all. Your point is as awesome as you are.

    :lol::lol:

    Thanks DDD, I was worried people were beginning to forget just how awesome I am... ;)
  • By the way, someone mentioned Omega's co-axial movement. This was actually invented by an Englishman called George Daniels. I think he is still alive and well, making by hand very very expensive watches.
  • mrc1mrc1 Posts: 852
    Another thing to watch out for is the dome glass (which is actually some sort of plastic). This is very very fragile as it is completely exposed around the sides and front of the watch.

    Oh, and the plastic is marketed as "Armoured Hasselite", it's actually acrylic. They aren't actually fragile, but do scratch relatively easily. They were required for the moon missions, as even sapphire glass can shatter, acrylic can't.

    Yeah I probably didn't word that very well. By fragile I actually mean exposed, in the sense that the dome extends around to the side of the case as well and is not protected from knocks and scratches!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

    Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

    Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Never even thought about damaging my beloved watch while out on a ride! :shock:

    DDD - have you got an ECO drive 8700? snap. I can't stand the idea of a battery running out in a watch because I'm so disorganised, it'd take me 2 weeks to sort out :lol: + love the calendar that never gets it wrong too 8)
  • jinnan_tonnixjinnan_tonnix Posts: 78
    edited October 2009
    Basic DIY servicing is fairly easy. If it's just a battery change, it's not too bad.

    Get one of these repair kits
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228858
    and you can open the back of pretty much any screw-back watch.

    Also get a tube of silicone grease (here's a 50g tube)
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29006


    The main problem is the O ring. If it's dried out or perished, you'll need to get a new one. If the rubber is in good condition, you can re-grease it and re-use it. The rubber O-ring should last indefinitely - if it doesn't, it probably hasn't been re-greased during the battery changes.

    You'll need to use silicone grease to coat the O ring - using non-silicone grease would be disastrous as the hyrdocarbons eventually attack the rubber.

    If you have a screw-down crown for the adjustment pin, make sure you don't screw it down too tight or you'll deform the gasket (if fitted).

    By the way, my watch is a sub-£200 Rotary Aspen divers. If you've shelled out on a five grand watch you might not be as cavalier. I'd leave it to an expert in this case.




    .
  • NGaleNGale Posts: 1,866
    Before the £500 repairs on his Omega, the commander paid out near on 200 quid for the service. Seeing as it has seen some pretty active service including being dragged through the mud and being subject to shelling in Bosina it hasn't done badly.

    He will however be narked when he finds it my swatch is essentially as good as his £5k plus watch :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    snellgrove wrote:
    Never even thought about damaging my beloved watch while out on a ride! :shock:

    DDD - have you got an ECO drive 8700? snap. I can't stand the idea of a battery running out in a watch because I'm so disorganised, it'd take me 2 weeks to sort out :lol: + love the calendar that never gets it wrong too 8)

    The watch is awesome. digital functionality with a analogue display, cannot complain. The alarm is just the icing on the cake.

    Battery's running out annoy me because once you've opened the back the watch needs to be sealed to guarantee water-resistency and that's just a hassle.
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
Sign In or Register to comment.