Drop to flat Shimano component compatability

Avoneer
Avoneer Posts: 525
edited October 2009 in Workshop
Hi All,

Couldn't decide whether to post this in this section, commuting section, or the MTB section so apols if you think I'm wrong....

Anyway, I just can't get on with my drops so I'm going to change them to flats.

Question is, will the Shimano ST-R221 levers work with my front 2200 and rear 2200 mech?

They all appear on the 2200 Shimano page, but I can't find anything conclusive.

Thanks,

Pat...
"Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    They are double only but I think they will fit.
    You may need a longer stem as most road bikes have shorter top tubes than flat bar models. Not all but you should check.
  • Avoneer
    Cheers.

No problem with the double - that's all I have at the moment.

The stem on my Giant is quite long already and I spend most of my time on either side of it rather than on the hoods or drops so it should be fine.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Avoneer wrote:
    Cheers.

No problem with the double - that's all I have at the moment.

The stem on my Giant is quite long already and I spend most of my time on either side of it rather than on the hoods or drops so it should be fine.

Pat...

If you're spending most of your time on the tops instead of the hoods then it sounds like you might just need a shorter stem.
    More problems but still living....
  • Avoneer
    I can reach the drops and use them occasionally, I just can't get used to the overall position. After 20 years on hybrids and not liking stop start traffic without having a finger on the brake, I think for me a flat bar is the way to go.

I though about adding some cyclo-x extra brake levers, but I still think I'd be more comfortable on flats than drops.

I have a spare flat bar and grips so for the £25ish for the bifters, I think it's worth a try.

Thanks,

Pat...