Need Help building a Power Tap wheel

BracketStiffy
BracketStiffy Posts: 8
edited October 2009 in Workshop
I am in a dilemma. I have never built a wheel and have no clue as to how to do so. I plan to buy a powertap SL+ for both training and racing.

The types of racing I do are crits and road races. and LOVE training. basically, i need a do it ALL wheel that is light and durable. I weight 140 pounds.

Any advice would be truly appreciated. :D

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I too would be interested to hear the views on this.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Choose a rim with the correct number of holes

Order spokes of the correct length

Lace and finish

I'd be tempted to get a decent local wheelbuilder to do it, for light and durable, I'd probably go for an open pro rim and sapim cx-ray spokes. Although I'm sure someone will come along with some much better options for the rim. Building a wheel is relatively easy, if time consuming, although you really want a truing stand and a tension meter, which will cost a fair bit, hence the local wheelbuilder suggestion.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    You can get this wheel truing stand as I am looking into rebuilding my back wheel soon, rim is dead and need a new one.

Try
    these video's for tips on how to do it.
  • thanks for the replies!! Will definitely get the LBS to build the wheel. but am at odds with what rim/spoke combo to get. This will be my first 'custom' wheel and as such quite nervous about it.
  • Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    What type of racing?

Could go for a Cadence Aero rim, strong and aerodynamic, stiff. Will survive pot holes and help you go fast in timetrials or road racing - maybe a bit heavy for climbing though.