Touring Bikes

carlton nick
carlton nick Posts: 25
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Does anyone have any views regarding the Dawes Horizon Vs the Dawes Galaxy. Is the latter worth another £300 or so?

Comments

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Try posting this in the Touring and Expedition section. You may get more luck there.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Does anyone have any views regarding the Dawes Horizon Vs the Dawes Galaxy. Is the latter worth another £300 or so?
    Horizon is an alloy frame and Galaxy is steel. I think if I was going for a Galaxy, I would go for a Super Galaxy as the ordinary Galaxy has the shifters on the end of the bars, which seems old fashioned.

I have a Dawes Audax which is a light tourer, but I don't thnk Dawes do these models any more - seem to have been replaced by Sportif range.

Unfortunately all Dawes tourers have risen a lot in price in the last couple of years.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Bar end shiters are very popular on drop handlebar touring bikes. I paid extra for thumb shifters on my flat handlebar Thorn because of the reliability and ease of repair.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I would avoid the dawes, they've seen relatively larger price rises vs. the competition.