WIP - scott genius mc40 - new cranks, 20.1.10

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited October 2010 in Your mountain bikes
A few of you may have read my thread(s) on what bike to get, hardcore hardtails, FS etc etc. Well i'm impatient! someone i know offered me a swap in frames, my patriot for this scott genius mc40. I rather like it, it looks cool and has adjustable rear suspension which is what i was after. Real do it all bike.

So far i've not done anything to it, it's just a frame but i have cranks, pedals, grips, bars, stem, f+r mechs and shifters, rear wheel, seat, post and clamp, rear brake, pedals and headset.

Things to buy (pending a few sales):
forks
BB
front wheel
chainring(s?)
front brake
gear cable inners
possible new front mech
possible new front and rear shifters
possible (nay, probable) new rear wheel
possible new seat
possible new pedals
possible new headset

The quicker you guys buy my crap for sale, the quicker you get to see it built up, sound fair??!!

photo:
pbpic4130607.jpg
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• Didn't you just post up your new BB pic, then it just disappeared :?:

Nice frame btw
  • ilovedirt
    My first part is here, truvativ giga pipe team sl bottom bracket:

pbpic4150177.jpg

I also have a pair of manitou minute 130mm forks with infinite adjust coming from ebay, an avid juicy 5 front brake and a middleburn middle chainring coming all by this weekend hopefully. I'm also watching a front wheel that's ending tonight. Hopefully all i'll need after that is tyres, tubes and maybe some other bits Smile
    Didn't you just post up your new BB pic, then it just disappeared :?:

Nice frame btw
    Yeah, just realised i don't have the right tool, d'oh! i have about every other bb tool so i took it back in view of returning it or replacing it but they didn't have anything else and the tool was only £8 so i bought one.

And thanks, i'm really looking forward to getting it built up, i've heard it rides really nice and the rear shock travel adjust is just what i need :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    It's been lke christmas for me today! the forks, front brake and chainring arrived and i'm picking up the front wheel that i won on saturday! :) it should be running by saturday, albeit not totally how i'd like it.

the forks (still working out what all the knobs do):

pbpic4153858.jpg

the chainring:

pbpic4153837.jpg

The front brake, CRC have started to let me down a little recently, they didn't send it in the original box, the rotor wasn't in a separate bag so if the system had leaked on the rotor it would have been fucked. Not impressed:

pbpic4153839.jpg

Here are the oher bits i already have, i'll probably get working on getting some of it built up later today.
    raceface turbine crankset with new middle ring:

pbpic4153855.jpg

dmr V8's:

pbpic4153852.jpg

lizardskins peaty grips:

pbpic4153848.jpg

Juicy 5 rear brake:

pbpic4153845.jpg

XT rear mech (front mech is on the frame) and SLX? (want some new ones) shifters:

pbpic4153847.jpg

Scott bars and stem (came with the bike):

pbpic4153841.jpg

Decathlon bottle cage:

pbpic4153850.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Getting there! just need the pedals on and get the front wheel and tyres and to get the gears on and sorted and it will be ridable :) Possibly the quickest WIP build thread in bikeradar history?
    sorry for the poor photo quality, my camera batteries died and my phone doesn't have a flash etc etc

pbpic4154366.jpg

Excited!!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    A guy i go riding with on here has a scott genius and it wasn't until the other day on moors that i realised the shocks totally different to a conventional shock haha.
  • ilovedirt
    hahaha only a wee bit :roll:
    I'm excited about getting it rolling this weekend!!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Looks very good, but don't forget to tell us how much did it cost you all that, at the end. :)
  • ilovedirt
    thanks. I got the frame in a trade for another frame... but at a guess, probably £800-£1k? For the finished build that is. Front wheel and possibly tyres tomorrow, got some gear cables today so i may sort the gears out tonight
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    edited October 2009
    Got my new front wheel today, hope pro II on wtb speed disc (seller threw in a couple of 183mm hope rotors too):
    pbpic4160458.jpg

picked up some maxxis high roller xc tyres:
    pbpic4160457.jpg

and here she is! still need a chain (it's here but i left my chain tool at my mum's house! :( ), a new front shifter (in the post) and a rear wheel but this will have to do for the time being. Also needs the suspension setting up properly.

pbpic4160965.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    very nice. how much was the whole project if you don't mind me asking?
  • errr, what's with the seatpost?
  • ilovedirt
    jay12 wrote:
    very nice. how much was the whole project if you don't mind me asking?
    cheers, i'm not entirely sure, probably about £900
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    errr, what's with the seatpost?
    if you mean that fact that it looks backwards... i've only just noticed that myself! i didn't realise it had a bit of a leanback to it, though i was wondering why the riding position was so far forwards...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Looks awesome, good job.
  • ilovedirt
    new photo with the seatpost the right way round :lol:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    ok here's a price list, everything i already had came off an orange patriot which i paid £420 for, so the build actually probably cost me somewhere in the region of £700-£800

scott build:

already had:
    seat
    cranks
    rear wheel
    rear shifter
    rear mech
    pedals

frame: trade
    stem, seatpost, bars, headset: trade
    chain: £20
    bottom bracket: £30
    forks: £100
    front brake: £57
    rear brake: £80
    grips: £16
    middle ring: £24
    front shifter: £20
    front wheel: £50
    tyres: £35
    cables: £6
    tubes: £15

total: £453

I also weighed it, it came in at 27.5lbs ish, not bad with that chunky rear wheel. the chain will probably add another lb or two though.
    my old bikes which this has replaced weighed:
    carrera vulcan - 32lbs
    orange patriot - 38lbs
    so not a bad weight really! lighter than my old hardtail!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Looking particularly fine 8)
    I would ditch the red pedals myself as I reckon it would look ultra cool all black.

Black is the new white!
  • ilovedirt
    yeah i was just using them because they were there, a guy has offered to trade them for his black ones, or i might strip them down to bare metal. I do want to get some red qr skewers, chainring bolts and a seat clamp though, just for the bling factor :P
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    ilovedirt wrote:
    yeah i was just using them because they were there, a guy has offered to trade them for his black ones, or i might strip them down to bare metal. I do want to get some red qr skewers, chainring bolts and a seat clamp though, just for the bling factor :P

Don't do it - go all black - you know it makes sense! :wink:
  • ilovedirt
    new seatpost, shim (scott seatposts are stupidly large, and expensive, was cheaper to buy a shim and another post) and shock pump. the longer seatpost is great, now i can ride at the correct height and it's loads more comfortable! Cockpit is still a bit short but nevermind.

pbpic4242115.jpg

Next to come, new forks, seat, bars and possibly larger rotors

Took it for a little ride today, love it!

pbpic4242121.jpg

pbpic4242119.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    How did you get on setting up the rear shock?
    i thought mine was set up correctly until i bought a new "scott" pump with the adapter and suddenly my bikes been transformed and has made a massive difference.
    i built mine up from bits and peices like yoursellf, bought the frame and transferd everything from my old bike onto this one.

Its now a full on MC20 carbon, with every concievable upgrade except crank arms. (thats a new year / pre race upgrade)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ilovedirt
    Sold my manitous and recieved my new pike 454 coil u-turn today :D not had a chance to ride them yet as it's now too dark but they feel really plush.
    pics!:

pbpic4266739.jpg

pbpic4266731.jpg

pbpic4266723.jpg

pbpic4266716.jpg

pbpic4266706.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Looks great! I've got the air Pikes and they took a fair while to bed-in, but are excellent now !
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • ilovedirt
    thanks, don't be fooled though, these are a good year or so old (note the tf tuned sticker on the inside of the left leg), they're just in immaculate condition!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    VWSurfbum wrote:
    How did you get on setting up the rear shock?
    i thought mine was set up correctly until i bought a new "scott" pump with the adapter and suddenly my bikes been transformed and has made a massive difference.
    i built mine up from bits and peices like yoursellf, bought the frame and transferd everything from my old bike onto this one.

Its now a full on MC20 carbon, with every concievable upgrade except crank arms. (thats a new year / pre race upgrade)
    sorry didn't see your post there! i just followed the table on the shock, seems pretty well set up to me! doesn't bounce too much and pedals really well, i love it
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    put some truvativ DH bars and stem on today as the old stem was a little long, i'll see how i get on, i'm trying to make it more of an all mountain/freeride bike than a cross country bike.
    I also got rid of the outer and granny rings as i never used them, and the front mech and shifter and got a superstar chain guide, for £30 it seems like a good buy, but i have yet to see how it performs.

pbpic4441881.jpg

pbpic4441875.jpg

next to come are new rear mech and shifter i think as the jockey wheels on my xt mech are gone and it'll cost more than the mech is worth to replace them, and i want to upgrade the slx shifter anyway, thinking x.7 mech and x.9 shifter, should run me about £55. Thinking new rear wheel too. I want to get some SPDs and shoes at some point too, and a new seat and 183mm front rotor. It's a long list :(
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    lovely bike mate

how does it ride......how do you find the rear suspension system??
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    what do you think of the chain guide. i have never see one in the flesh. does it work fine etc....
  • ilovedirt
    cheers louis, rides really nicely, a lot of the time you can't even tell the suspension is there, it just smooths everything out, which is how it's supposed to be i suppose. You can REALLY hammer the power down without losing any of it due to pedal bob, great bike. I can't reccommend one enough, the traction control system is amazing too, totally transforms the ride, makes it loads more usable.
    ramemtbers wrote:
    what do you think of the chain guide. i have never see one in the flesh. does it work fine etc....
    i'm yet to give it a proper hammering, but it took it out in snow, quite a lot of bumpy violent bits, a little drop and the chain stayed on the whole time, really quiet too. Well worth it for £30.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5