Dinotte 140L-AA-R Rear Light

rmhodv
rmhodv Posts: 83
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Does anyone know where I can buy this light? Been looking around, but can't find it anywhere. :?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm pretty sure you can only get them direct from the USA now.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    rmhodv wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can buy this light? Been looking around, but can't find it anywhere. :?
    I think you can order it directly from Dinotte (I did). All you'll need is an adaptor plug - the transformer works at 240V.

I dimly recall that there is a UK vendor/distributor and that I found him from the Dinotte "dealers" page.

Good luck.
  • rmhodv
    M.Cole wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you can only get them direct from the USA now.

Umm, your right, I could only see them for sale on their website aswell, Thanks for your help.Will have to see how much it all comes too with P&P.
    All you'll need is an adaptor plug - the transformer works at 240V.

Thanks for the heads up on the transformer. I'll also have a look for a UK distributor on the website.
  • I bought mine direct from dinotte shipped same day . By the way its scary bright
  • rmhodv
    I bought mine direct from dinotte shipped same day . By the way its scary bright

The brighter the better. My commute (14.5 miles) each way is about 70% rural roads, and if I'm the other side of a bend, the approaching motorist has no idea I'm there.

Are you pleased with it?
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    I've got one of the Li-Ion battery version, and it is really very bright. Very pleased with it so far (have had it for a year now).
  • Anonymous
    I'm really looking forward to the rear-light plugin for the Nukeproof light: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... ight-23250
  • rmhodv
    I can feel my credit card getting itchy. :)
  • A light that generates comment from passing drivers as to how bright it is, must make it a truly great light.

Very happy with mine !
  • rmhodv
    rmhodv wrote:
    I can feel my credit card getting itchy. :)

Ordered! :D
  • Great lights - been using the LiOn ones for a year now and never have any problems being seen, or for that matter seeing where I am going. Used it for an overnight ride from London to Suffolk and the single front white light was enough to see clearly at full speed even in the darkest sections of the ride.

Watch out for the customs charges though when buying direct - I got a nasty surpise on that one.

You can get some spares from UK online stores - Chain Reaction I think stock some spares (batteries, cables, chargers, o rings). Also On-one used to stock them and are now clearing down remaining stock. If you go for the lithium powered ones I'd recommend getting a Y adapter and extension cable so you can run both lights off a single battery pack.

I do this and it works well, plus allows me to keep a battery at home and at work (along with a spare charger).

Can't say enough good things about these lights - very small and light, even with battery pack, completely waterproof and really well built.
  • rmhodv
    Update:
    The light arrived yesterday & I fitted it last night ready for this mornings commute. WOW, this is a serious light. As I travelled round the leafy lanes @ 6.30 this morning there was a bright red glow lighting up the hedgerow on both sides of the road. This gave following motorist loads of pre warning that I was the other side of the bend. As they approaced you could hear the change in engine note as they de-accelerated. Not the cheapest thing I've bought £76 online + £23 VAT + £23 Handling, but what price can you put on safety?
    Even when I reached more urban areas and it was getting light by then, the cars still gave me a nice wide berth.
    Would have no hesitation in recommending this light so far.
  • Anonymous
    Nice update rmhodv - sounds like a good one!
  • Glad you like the light.

I don't have any unlit commute, but I still keep the rear red on slow blink during autumn-spring urban journeys. I bought the visibility pack with the red, amber and white all in the one box, along with a 2-cell and 4-cell Li battery and cables. The amber light on slow flash is good for the front on dull days.

By the way, it is not BS kite marked, so is not strictly UK road legal. Be aware. I'd like to see the "BS marked or equivalent" in that law one day.
  • rmhodv
    By the way, it is not BS kite marked, so is not strictly UK road legal. Be aware. I'd like to see the "BS marked or equivalent" in that law one day.

A mate of mine from work also said that he didn't think it was UK road legal. It makes you laugh though, maybe if motorist gave us cyclist the respect we deserve one wouldn't have to use lights like this.