Should I buy Giant Terrago

jt_6_4
jt_6_4 Posts: 39
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I have the option to buy a Giant Terrago with hydraulic disc brakes, LX shifters i.e. the top end Terrago. List price is £699 but as it's an 09 bike they will knock it down to £550 got me.

Does anyone know if this bike is any good?

Is the extra money spent on the top end worth it for the componentry? I can't find anything about this top end model online.

Thanks

Comments

• missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Well, what is your primary use of this bike? How intense will your riding be? Is this your first proper mountain bike?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/10877/Gia ... -Disc.html Do you mean this model and specification? I can't find anything with an LX gearset.

Tell us a rough budget and I'll see what I can find that may be of better value.
  • jt_6_4
    That looks like the lower spec. You're having the same problem as me...I can't find the spec in the local shop anywhere online which concerns me somewhat. I'm going to visit the shop again tomorrow so will get the full spec and post.

Ideally I want to spend about £500 on my first proper mountain bike. I will use it for going round the trails in thetford forest.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • missmarple
    edited October 2009
    In terms of value, it doesn't get much better than the Rockrider 8.1 which is offered at Decathlon for £499.99.

The bike is available in S/M/L and XL dependent on your height.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-8-1-69567658/

With this setup, a very reliable mid-range gearset*, good hydraulic brakes and a relatively expensive fork it should be a great introduction to mountain biking. Alot of members have praised Decathlon bikes in the past and this won't be any different!

In fact, if this bike falls apart within 3-4 years of ownership - you can saw my legs off.

*That I use so they must be good. :twisted:

Hope this helps.

BUT. If you were to choose another brand such as Specialized, Trek, Giant, GT or Kona then you'd be expected to pay at least another £100 on top for this sort of spec.
  • hi in both 2009 and 2008 giant only listed, in the uk, one version of the terrago and its a dropped model for 2010. both 2008 and 2009models came with deore 27 speed kit suntour xcr forks Also even when current I think their list price was around £500
    I would check this out very carefully
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    I have a 2008 Terrago and it came with Deore 27 speed shifters and mechs, Suntour XCR100mm forks and Giant MPH root hydraulic disk brakes.

Its a good bike and I like it.

I don't think the spec changed much for 2009 although the price increased from £425 in 2008 to £500 (I think) for 2009.

I am also not aware that there was more than one model of Terrago and also can't remember seeing one with LX shifters.

I would proceed with care !
  • jt_6_4
    Thanks for all your comments guys. I've been to see said bike again. I have listed the main differences below (bike I'm talking about on the left of the vs, and the standard Terrago on the right:

Shocks: Suntour XCM V2 100mm lock out vs Suntour XCR 100mm lock out
    Shifters: Deore LX Shifters vs Deore Shifters
    CHain: Shimano HG93 vs HG73
    Cranks & Bottom bracket: Shimano vs TruVativ

Front & Rear mech are both the same Deore.

I think the disk brakes were a higher spec as well.

Having seen it in the flesh as it were I obviously know this exists but like you guys I am suspicious as I can't find a thing about this spec on the interweb anywhere.

I might try and contact Giant about it as I'm totally confused at the moment!
  • missmarple
    jt_6_4 wrote:
    Thanks for all your comments guys. I've been to see said bike again. I have listed the main differences below (bike I'm talking about on the left of the vs, and the standard Terrago on the right:

Shocks: Suntour XCM V2 100mm lock out vs Suntour XCR 100mm lock out
    Shifters: Deore LX Shifters vs Deore Shifters
    CHain: Shimano HG93 vs HG73
    Cranks & Bottom bracket: Shimano vs TruVativ

Front & Rear mech are both the same Deore.

I think the disk brakes were a higher spec as well.

Having seen it in the flesh as it were I obviously know this exists but like you guys I am suspicious as I can't find a thing about this spec on the interweb anywhere.

I might try and contact Giant about it as I'm totally confused at the moment!

JT_6_4 do not buy that bike, the difference between Suntour and Rockshox Tora forks are like life and death. I (and so would many other forum users) strongly advise you to go with the Rockrider 8.1 which is a far better bike. Go to your local Decathlon store and try it out, the Terrago is a rubbish bike in comparison to the Rockrider.

Don't let me tell you I told ya so!
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    My dad has a 08 terrago trail, ive ridden it plenty of times and find it solid however i dont really like the wide handlebars on it whether Giant have changed this for the 09 model i dont know, but if you have ridden it and like it go for it, my dad regularly uses it for trails (coed i brenin) and had no problems to far
  • jt_6_4
    I thought I'd update you as you've all been so helpful....

I contacted Giant via their website asking about 09 models. They confirmed there was only 1 model, it had Deore shifters and XCR forks. They double checked this with their technical dept who did not recall this.

A forum user on this post has kindly PM'd having found a Terrago on the german giant website. I've checked this and it has the same shifters but the paint job's different and teh forks are still XCR not XCM V2.

I've practically decided that I'm going to test cycle a Rockrider 8.1 this weekend or next and if I like it will get it but I'd like to get to the bottom of this Terrago I have found so I'm going tol contact the bike shop again and ask how they got hold of it. Will update...
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The XCR fork is better than the XCM
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • antdav63
    antdav63 Posts: 1
    jt_6_4 wrote:
    Hi

I have the option to buy a Giant Terrago with hydraulic disc brakes, LX shifters i.e. the top end Terrago. List price is £699 but as it's an 09 bike they will knock it down to £550 got me.

Does anyone know if this bike is any good?

Is the extra money spent on the top end worth it for the componentry? I can't find anything about this top end model online.

Thanks
    I have owned a terrago for almost a year now and this is my first hardtail which i thought at the time was a good buy. The gearing and frame seem ok for the price but the xcm suntour forks are rubbish. I have already changed them for the next model up xcr, i didnt want to spend too much cos the bike cant be worth that much now. My mate has got a specialized and has had it for 4 years and the forks on them are superb. I am looking to change my bike before long and would recommend that you go for a specialized for around £500 as the parts are much better all round
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    The Giant Terrago was a great bike for the price, but do bear in mind the shortcomings listed. It used to be available for <£399, which is a fair price (I bought one) and once I upgraded some key components (the infamous SR-Suntour fork included!) I've got what I think is a decent bike.

For £500 I think there are far better stock-bikes available. Take a look at Bikeradar's Reviews
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_229915
    probably the best value and performance bike in your price range,
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • jt_6_4
    Hi guys

Thanks for the posts but I posted this last year so no longer need the advice. Not sure how it has come up again.

Cheers.