upgrading forks on Carrera Subway 2

kqphoto
kqphoto Posts: 3
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I'm a complete MTB novice but have been given a two-year old Carrera Subway 2 in excellent condition, but was wondering for occasional trail riding could I change the rigid front fork for a suspension type.

Has anybody any idea if this is possible, and as I have not been able to get any web info on the technical specs of the headset itself could you supply me with diameters etc of what I need to be looking at.

I won't be using it for serious off road stuff, but it would be nice to be able to tackle the occasional forest path in a little more comfort.

Thanks for all the help.

K

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, it can be done: but it would have to be a short travel fork (ie 80mm).

If you have a standard threadles steerer it should be an easy swap.

Not sure if the bike has V brakes, but if it does, check it has V mounts.
  • Something like basic SR Suntour XCR fork would be a good choice, or a Rock Shox Dart 3, they have V-Brake lugs aswell.
  • Hi Supersonic,

Thanks for that, it has mechanical disc's all round, which I might also change at some stage to hydraulic, and may also change the double chainset to a triple.

For now the forks are the only thing I'll look at.

Thanks again

K
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    It depends what you budget is, but you should be able to get something on ebay..

If you want something really entry level.. say for a £5er, I have a set of In-Sync Grind 323, they are 70mm travel and a 1 1/8 headset. As featured on Marin and Trek bikes circa 03-06 Both V brake and IS disc brake mounts. They are entry level suspension forks.

last time I will mention them outside classified. ;)
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    If you're doing it yourself the 2 problems you'll face are:

1. Cutting the steerer to the correct size. If you leave it standard it might be too high for you. You'll need a straight clean cut with a hacksaw or pipecutter otherwise. Just measure the old steer length as all the spacers will then fit OK.

2. Getting the star nut (forgot what it's called) into the steerer. Bike mechs use a special tool, others like me "try" and bang them in straight. Great fun...not.

As mentioned a 80mm short travel fork would probably fit and run OK. One last thing, the new suspension fork will probably be 4lbs heavier then your rigids. This might not sound much but wait until you pedal up a hill :evil:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Re 1... Definitely go for the pipe cutter route. take your time and you'll get the best result.

Re 2 ... A bit of 15mm copper pipe and a hammer is is perfect for the job. Alignment can be done by inserting the alen bolt and tapping it straight.

or google star fangled nut replacement for better alternatives to a SFN
  • will these forks fit my carrera subway 2011 model
    SUNTOUR SF10 V2 FORKS 100mm TRAVEL
  • thanks for your help everybody
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What brakes are you using? Do these forks have the same mounts?