How to store a cycling helmet in a new way?

2»

Comments

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Although thinking about it, the mesh bag idea is stupid....

....a simple thin wire with a loop on both ends, threaded through the holes in the helmet and secured by the bikelock would do the job fine!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Well for your second group of rider - if you've spent that much on kit and helmet - I really don't see them locking either up anywhere other than their nuclear bunker back home for safety.

I'd never lock mine to my bike for the reason I've already stated.

When I left the bike by the bar to watch the world time trials, I just did up the chin strap, caught that on the headset, and rested the helmet on the brake cables out front of the stem.

I than sat on a garden chair 3 yards away and cheared on Wiggins and Cancellara...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • x8swift9x
    x8swift9x Posts: 268
    I knew I had seen it somewhere.... this months issue of Cyclingplus introduced this http://www.thehelmetlock.com/ (PAGE 18) So you've been beaten to it, although they don't offer a means of keeping the helmet dry...
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    gkerr4 wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:
    just don't use a helmet - they are useless anyway.

A mate of mine who's still alive because of one would disagree with you! Along with a lot of other cyclists!!

how does he know that the helmet saved him?

wearing the helment might even have made him more likely to be in the accident in the first place!

Because he hit a pot hole and went over the handle bars, landing on his head. Resulted in numerous breaks of his neck and I think some compression. Obviously the helmet broke which would have dissipated a fair amount of energy that would otherwise have caused further damage to his neck and head.

too many variables - tell him to go and replicate the accident - perfectly - without a helmet and if he dies - then I'll start wearing mine.[/quote

Too many variables?!?! Not true and totally irrelevant!

If you don't want to wear one then that's your choice, but I think to say they're useless is quite ridiculous tbh!

tell you what next time you get slammed by a car (as I have) and hit a tree doing over 30mph (mtb as I have) and your not brain damaged from the impact then please please please tell us all about it !...
    You a doctor by any chance?!

I have been hit by a 30mph car fairly recently - the irony being it was the first ride out with my new super-bright "can't miss me" lights

it hurt - but I wasn't wearing a helmet and I am still alive!

MTB is just asking for trouble to be honest and has no part in a helmet argument on a 'road' forum.

I was doing 27mph when the t*at in the car hit me...my head went straight into his "A pillar" bent that then smashed across his windscreen ! My helmet was totalled but I was fine ! if I wasn't wearing the helmet it would have been a different story....errr so yes I speak from experience! car drivers are stupid first thing in the morning ! yes mtb is askiing for trouble but so is going out on the road without a helmet !....least your trying to protect yourself iff your wearing one! Dont wear one if you think your indistructable, but then if your hit again you may not be so lucky and end up a vegitable....you takes your chance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I lock my helmet to my bike most days and i use a d lock thru the wheel, frame and helmet. If i was bothered about it getting wet (which i'm not) i would tie a plastic bag over it. Sorry but :roll:
    Helmets are full of holes - ideal for threading a lock through. Your original train of thought is wrong - there is a very obvious way of locking it.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    think outside the box, a foldable helmet
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    strodey wrote:
    think outside the box, a foldable helmet

Already been done..

Stash... Ugggghhhh

stash_helmet;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

!BW8CpkQCGk~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl4)iEBKZzFgR+Y!~~_35.JPG
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    turnerjohn wrote:
    tell you what next time you get slammed by a car (as I have) and hit a tree doing over 30mph (mtb as I have)

the tree was doing 30mph..?? :shock:

anyway, another excellent research project would be to investigate some kind of storage device in which the other helmet storage device can be safely kept while not in use.....
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    softlad wrote:

anyway, another excellent research project would be to investigate some kind of storage device in which the other helmet storage device can be safely kept while not in use.....

:lol:

You have discovered infinity - as another research project .... :lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • I strap a shopping trolley to my back when cycling. When i stop, I simply put my helmet in the trolley and push it. Simple.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do enjoy polishing my helmet, keep it nice and shiny. :D
  • TommyEss
    I employ somebody to do that for me. :shock:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Actually, if you look at the link to the questionnaire, you will see that it's not interested in your helmet getting wet, it's about your helmet getting wheat

''What is your suggestion on how to store your cycling helmet in an easy way, protecting it from theft, getting wheat/dirty or damaged? Give us your innovative idea! *''
  • that's un-barley-veable.

I'll get my coat.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Do you think that this may be a research project linked to the milletry?

Oh, I see, that door over there.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Never seen such corn-y jokes!

You lot have got a lot of grain-up to do!
  • These jokes are like the world's best scarecrow - outstanding in their field. A-maize-ing.
  • TommyEss
    Jesus wept... :P