M'gTFU and learning self-defence

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Though them Russian/Polish and generally Eastern European guys seem to be rewritting the rules of heavyweight boxing that have been in place since The Brown Bomber Joe Louis (or Jack Johnson back in the early 1900)

Ah the Brown Bomber, now you're talking :D
    He had skillz

Not sure if these East European/Russian heavyweights have re-written the rules. I think it more likely that the standard of heavyweight boxing has declined.

I, like most, was an Ali man. Louis did everything he was taught to an exceptional level. Ali rewrote the rules.

I agree with you about the standard of heavyweight boxing it isn't what it used to be. Used to be a real art (violent, but art).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Now if Tyson had come out of prison and had his ass handed to him by a fat White van man then there may be something in it.
    Isn't that against the rules of the Universe of something.... :lol:

Though them Russian/Polish and generally Eastern European guys seem to be rewritting the rules of heavyweight boxing that have been in place since The Brown Bomber Joe Louis (or Jack Johnson back in the early 1900).

doh, stupid iPhone capitalised the w!

Heavyweights have been rubbish since after Lennox and Holyfield were going at it.
    High hopes for Haye, love his style, but suspect he will never be a great.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • DonDaddyD
    Stuey01 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Now if Tyson had come out of prison and had his ass handed to him by a fat White van man then there may be something in it.
    Isn't that against the rules of the Universe of something.... :lol:

Though them Russian/Polish and generally Eastern European guys seem to be rewritting the rules of heavyweight boxing that have been in place since The Brown Bomber Joe Louis (or Jack Johnson back in the early 1900).

doh, stupid iPhone capitalised the w!

Heavyweights have been rubbish since after Lennox and Holyfield were going at it.
    High hopes for Haye, love his style, but suspect he will never be a great.

Would be good to see Haye over come the Klitcho's (sp) where is he with that, I haven't been keeping up. Cruiserweights make for skillful heavyweights just that they tend to lack the power...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    My mate is heavily into Kung Fu. Been to China to be taught - the lot.

He showed me this link as showing how to incapacitate someone with minimum fuss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRxdmK57vYU
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Would be good to see Haye over come the Klitcho's (sp) where is he with that, I haven't been keeping up. Cruiserweights make for skillful heavyweights just that they tend to lack the power...

believe the fight is scheduled, November maybe?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Best form of self defence is to look like Clever Pun.

<snip inneffective stuff</snip>

I agree, I'm running private sessions at competitive prices, teaching you the art of being me... once trained up you can start your own classes and spread the teachings of being Pun

Act now!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Are you running a new member deal - say 6 lessons for the price of 5?

I'd for one woudl be very keen - the beard alone should stop those nasty boys from the upper six taking my lunch money.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • salsajake wrote:
    What is the current thinking on the best 'form' of self-defence.

My dad learnt Jiu Jitsu and still recalls some of it and it seems incredibly simple and effective. I'd rather learn self-defence than say a martial art because I have no intention of starting something but it would be ace to finish something that became inevitable - whether as a result of road rage or otherwise. This ends particularly well I think, not exactly self-defence that gets him the advantage, but well worth watching! T-shirt boy "I don't want to fight you, I don't even know you, I'm only 15..."

http://www.break.com/index/kid-teaches- ... esson.html

Anyone any thoughts on jiu jitsu generally, or experience of learning ot using self-defence?

That's classic :-) I guess he won't be bullying anyone for a while hehe
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I always say the best martial art is of course the one that suits your body/mind set etc the best , sure some are better in certain situations and you need to have the right mind -set its no good being a bruce lee wannabe if you freeze when someone attacks you on the street.

I trained for about 10 years in lau-gar kung fu, wing chun , tai chi and MMA and have to give it up as i did my shoulder in at work and now although its ok day to day its never going to be right , ok for tai chi but tried to punch for 2 hours and it will ache for a week.

The martial art i ended up with looked something like this as the haed instructor for lau gar ( master lau ) said i had fast hands.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM676yGD_5w
    FCN 3/5/9
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    I always say the best martial art is of course the one that suits your body/mind set etc the best , sure some are better in certain situations and you need to have the right mind -set its no good being a bruce lee wannabe if you freeze when someone attacks you on the street.

I trained for about 10 years in lau-gar kung fu, wing chun , tai chi and MMA and have to give it up as i did my shoulder in at work and now although its ok day to day its never going to be right , ok for tai chi but tried to punch for 2 hours and it will ache for a week.

The martial art i ended up with looked something like this as the haed instructor for lau gar ( master lau ) said i had fast hands.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM676yGD_5w

If I was still punching after 2 hours, I'd be starting to consider my cash spent on self-defence lessons as possibly not best spent! (Sorry couldn't resist, know what you mean re:training).

Basically I'm not after a martial arts 'hobby', I don't have time for it. I want to know how best to defend myself should the need arise. Krav Maga looks like it might fit the bill, so am finding out what is offered locally.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Well i meant keeping arms up and attacking / defending :p

Lots of drills for training in reactions so you performed the move correctly automatically when the force of attack/movement of your opponent/s pushed or pulled you in any direction.
    Sticky hands and feet to maintain contact and feel the intention of his movement to preempt
    and redirect it .

Of course in a real fight its over in a flash :lol:

And living in the sticks we didnt have a lot of choice for styles
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Has anyone suggested D-Locking yet?
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • Limburger
    OK OK. I heard you the first time. Lost interest with all the boxing talk.

I hear knives are very popular in the UK this season. Perhaps in the fashion of Crocodile Dundee a 'Bigger' knife is in order.

Perhaps a re-introduction of the feudal system is in order. Give me a chance of breaking out the claymore and dispatching some undesirables.

In all seriousness though, I was a [Politically Correct Mode] Door Supervisor for a while. I have no self defence/martial arts experience whatsoever. Nor am a human fortress (5'9", 75kg). I had no trouble and sustained no injuries despite the concerted efforts of the lovely British public. Your primal instincts are more than enough to overcome your garden variety dodgepot.

Classes can help with the confidence a great deal I hear though.

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I would love a sword for commuting, mainly for dramatic effect, and lopping wing-mirrors off at high speed... I could strap it to my messenger bag!
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Eeeee...!!?

I suppose I should point out (having trained myself in the past, and having known several champion martial artists and boxers - including family members) that martial arts (incl boxing which is also technically an MA) wont save you in a fight. One should NEVER sign up for a class thinking it might make you a bit tasty in a scrap.

Martial arts are about training, discipline, control, enlightenment. Yes that is acheived via controlled violence - but please remember an altercation in the street follows no rules, no control, and often no moral fibre. If you are threatened you are advised to act submissive and just try and leave. Run if you have to. Find a place with witnesses and report them to the Police.

If you are essentially trapped by an assailant then yes, flight like a madman, but always run when you have the chance.

Yes there are techniques that will dessimate an oik, but these take years to master. You dont just pick it up from a book, or watching youtube. Often people will join a class and discover that the pain involved in learning an MA isnt worth the effort so they will never garner this technique.
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    I have found the SA80 standard issue rifle more than enough for self defence

As long as you don't take it near water, sand, extreme heat or extreme cold it will work just fine :lol:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    CdrJake wrote:

As long as you don't take it near water, sand, extreme heat or extreme cold it will work just fine :lol:

:lol:

Just like the Stengun then. Ahh heritage, aint it wonderful when they continue the traditions :lol:
  • Rex Kwon Do, bow to your Sensei!

My advice: If you are going to fight then you had better mean it.

A real fight is a lot like the way I suspect I would make love to a beautiful woman; over much quicker than expected and leaving at least one participant with feelings of self doubt and lingering disappointment.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • Limburger
    I would love a sword for commuting, mainly for dramatic effect, and lopping wing-mirrors off at high speed... I could strap it to my messenger bag!

Perhaps a knightly joust (Not the James Martin/Chris Evans kind). Could prove particularly useful for eliminating the roving menace of errant wing mirrors.

A golf umbrella is useful for this task. Went on a course at work today - we where given such umbrellas for all our hard work at dedication (Turning up, and there was a tour and it was raining). Anyway, the cycle back to the office quickly descended into a bike-back duel.
    Very Mad Max/Highlander!

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    CdrJake wrote:

Commander Jake? From Portsmouth...?

Word on the street is that Jack mainly uses the barrel of his personal weapon to stick his white flag on.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    Greg T wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:

Commander Jake? From Portsmouth...?

Word on the street is that Jack mainly uses the barrel of his personal weapon to stick his white flag on.
    Well I couldn't possibly comment, but my personal weapon is is good condition inspite of it's age and usage. :lol:

Portsmouth based, live in Dartmouth.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited October 2009
    Limburger wrote:
    OK OK. I heard you the first time. Lost interest with all the boxing talk.

I hear knives are very popular in the UK this season. Perhaps in the fashion of Crocodile Dundee a 'Bigger' knife is in order.

Perhaps a re-introduction of the feudal system is in order. Give me a chance of breaking out the claymore and dispatching some undesirables.

In all seriousness though, I was a [Politically Correct Mode] Door Supervisor for a while. I have no self defence/martial arts experience whatsoever. Nor am a human fortress (5'9", 75kg). I had no trouble and sustained no injuries despite the concerted efforts of the lovely British public. Your primal instincts are more than enough to overcome your garden variety dodgepot.

Classes can help with the confidence a great deal I hear though.

That's not a knife mate, that's a spoon....

Ah, I see you've played knifey spoony before....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i'm sorry jousting should only be done on horseback or in punts (which would be awesome!)
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Too true, LiT. Too many girlies beat on a chaps chest in that situation, which is about the worst place to punch someone, very well protected.

Most martial arts aren't much cop in a street fight, nor is boxing really, too many rules and self control. A proper street fighter will take apart most experts at any martial art. The Krav Maga does look the most use, as it's designed for quickly incapacitating any opponent. Then run like hell, obviously.

I agree and disagree with the last part as it does depend on how and where you train (I still do train ).
    Have a look at this, plus would like to be a fly on the wall if someone was to try that with my 66 year old teacher.

Some people train for belts and do pressure test themselfs at all or how they train can make a big difference.

Plus for you to use what you learn, you have to put in the hard work for in to be second nature so you do have to think about it and as said before your frame of mind.

What part of Manchester do you live in as one of the guy's I use to train with has a dojo up there and if you pm me I can found out for you.
    If that helps.
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    downfader wrote:
    Eeeee...!!?

I suppose I should point out (having trained myself in the past, and having known several champion martial artists and boxers - including family members) that martial arts (incl boxing which is also technically an MA) wont save you in a fight. One should NEVER sign up for a class thinking it might make you a bit tasty in a scrap.

Martial arts are about training, discipline, control, enlightenment. Yes that is acheived via controlled violence - but please remember an altercation in the street follows no rules, no control, and often no moral fibre. If you are threatened you are advised to act submissive and just try and leave. Run if you have to. Find a place with witnesses and report them to the Police.

If you are essentially trapped by an assailant then yes, flight like a madman, but always run when you have the chance.

Yes there are techniques that will dessimate an oik, but these take years to master. You dont just pick it up from a book, or watching youtube. Often people will join a class and discover that the pain involved in learning an MA isnt worth the effort so they will never garner this technique.

I'm not interested in learning a martial art. I think Krav Maga looks the business. I would always try to get away, but that's clearly not always possible, so I quite like the 'him or me' attitude to Krav Maga, because that is probably what it would boil down to if someone ever had to use it. Granted it would take a lot of effort and time to build the reactions, anticipations and make every move effective, but that is time better spent for me than chanting and/or learning ritual dances - I mean, I do have bikes to ride after all!
  • Clever Pun
    all this talk of punching pfft you waste power... elbows are your face rearranging friend... like I said kickboxing.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:

'kin right that's an awesome film... the sequal is out soon although I think it's more of a prequal

No special effects either it's all old school stunts
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5