Need tips on removing a stiff Bolt. Help please.

Lazza1979
Lazza1979 Posts: 15
edited October 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya,

My rear mech hanger snapped a few weeks ago and i have just gotten a new one (Stumpy FSR Pro 2008) to get the bike back on the trails.
However, I am now faced with removing the broken hanger from the rear derailleur (which is obviously no longer attached to the bike) and am finding that I cannot losen the bolt.
A: it is very awkward to get a grip on it to try and give some proper force and B: I do not really want to damage the Sram X-O derailleur as it is in good nick.

Anyone have any advice on how I might be able to get this damn hanger off? Anyone had this problem before?

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

L

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    which bolt? the one concting the hager to the bike or the one connnecting the mech to the hanger?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Sorry, Should have made that clear.

The bolt connecting the hanger to the Derailleur.

I found a pic of it at http://www.coloradocyclist.com/img/prod ... agjrht.jpg

It is the gold bolt which is giving me issues. Part of the hanger is still attached and hence needs removal before i can fit the new one and get this thing back out riding.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I usually try giving at a generous helping of WD40 and leaving it for about an hour to soak in. Worked for me on a few bolts and a seized bottom bracket in the past.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Might actually leave it soaking while at work tomorrow. Should give it enough time hopefully. Want to get out this weekend so need to get this sorted.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Soak the bolt in WD40 or similar an leave it to soak in. If that doesn't work you can try a blow torch on the nut gently to try to expand it to free it or even stick it in the freezer. Otherwise carefully drill the centre of the bolt out and then replace it
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    You could hold the broken bit of hanger in mole grips or a soft-jawed vice. Presumably if the hanger has broken, the bolt is not unduly tight. It can be persuaded with a rubber mallet...heat it up in the oven...cool it in the freezer...Plus Gas etc.

Sometimes tightening the bolt will move it enough for you to undo it easily.

If the bolt is toast, a suitably-sized Torx driver can be used instead of a hex key.
  • broken bit of hanger in bench vice, use a good square ended allen key of exactly the right size, then more force. A bit of plusgas (or WD-40 in a pinch) will work wonders fine.
  • Hmm A vice is not readily available. Might need to pop to B&Q. Not the most experienced with fixing things. Much better at breaking them, but I refuse to get charged money for simply removing an already broken component!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    grips+tf2+lots of force
    should do it!
    if not, oven+grips+tf2+lots of force.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Do you have a pair of mole grips?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not knowing what tools you have makes it not easy.

the hanger is aluminium and quite easy to cut is another option to the ones given above.

Also when the hanger bent it has most likely clamped onto the threads and no amount of lube will really help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • To be honest my tool box is fairly well stoicked but I live in a flat and hence do not have the space that a garage would provide me for monstrous amounts of tools. However, I do have a kick ass hacksaw and will most certainly give that a go this evening. Thanks for the suggestion as I did not think of that.