Stumpjumper FSR Shock Play

elziko
elziko Posts: 41
edited October 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just bought a new 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Comp and have ridden it for maybe 50 miles.

I have noticed that when I pick the bike up by the saddle there seems to be some play in the rear suspension.

After a quick look it seems that the upper shock eyelet has what feels to be 1mm of play in it.

Is this normal? Is it something I can adjust or something I should tackle under the warranty?

TIA

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not normal.

New bike? back to the shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the reply.

I managed to find a UK number for Specialized and I got put though to a suspension guy there.

He seemed to think it was normal for everything to slacken off after the first couple of rides and advised me to tighten them and that would probably get rid of the play.

If that doesn't work I'll take it back to the shop!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    elziko wrote:
    He seemed to think it was normal for everything to slacken off after the first couple of rides and advised me to tighten them and that would probably get rid of the play.
    Not if it was fitted correctly in the first place. Sounds like bull to me.

Back to the shop.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    My still has no play after three years, doesn't sound good.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I have an 09 Stumpy Elite and a friend of mine has an 08, we have both had the exact same issue.

The bolt that holds the shock at the top works loose and causes the play.

Seems like they dont tighten them right when the build the bikes because a drop of locktight and torqued up to the value specified in the manual and it hasn't come loose again since on both my own and my friends bikes (after several months of use now).

Whats odd about the construction though, is that every other pivot on the bike has a system where the pivot is bolted in from both sides and one of the bolts goes into the other (if you know what i mean), each side having a different size allen key hole so requires 2 tools to tighten them.

The pivot that comes loose is just a single bolt that screws through without any sort of locking nut on the other end.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • elziko
    elziko Posts: 41
    Skonk wrote:
    The bolt that holds the shock at the top works loose and causes the play.

Seems like they don't tighten them right when the build the bikes because a drop of locktight and torqued up to the value specified in the manual and it hasn't come loose again since on both my own and my friends bikes (after several months of use now).

This sounds right - when I checked mine yesterday afternoon it was very loose and as soon as I tightened it the play went away. I then went riding for a couple of hours and checked the pivot after an hour and at the end of ride. At both points I had to re-tighten the bolt.

Interestingly, the manual does state that 'Blue Loctite' is required for this bolt - I wonder if they just missed the thread-lock out?

It looks like thread-lock is the answer but I'm taking mine back to the shop for the post purchase 'checkup' anyway so I'll bring it up then.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    As I said, as soon as I added loctite and tightened it to the correct torque, the problem went away as as of yet, hasn't returned.

It wouldn't supprise me if they had a run where they forgot to loctite the bolt.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    Skonk wrote:
    As I said, as soon as I added loctite and tightened it to the correct torque, the problem went away as as of yet, hasn't returned.

It wouldn't supprise me if they had a run where they forgot to loctite the bolt.

+1