My bike has two wheels

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
OK another silly question but with internet forums comes a desire to post every thought which comes into my head.

So, I recently got a bike. A road bike i think its called

I checked the bike this morning and notice that it came with two wheels, one at the front and one lined up behind it

What is the average number of wheels a person would normally use on their commuter bike.

Right now:

I pedal quite slowly and the wheels seem to turn round and roll along the road.

Are the wheels normally circular?

Could I remove a wheel to save weight and lower the rolling resistance effect or should I think about adding an extra wheel for greater stability?

Discuss
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    What have you been drinking - I'll have a bucket of that.......... :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    OK another silly question but with internet forums comes a desire to post every thought which comes into my head.

So, I recently got a bike. A road bike i think its called

I checked the bike this morning and notice that it came with two wheels, one at the front and one lined up behind it

What is the average number of wheels a person would normally use on their commuter bike.

Right now:

Are the wheels normally circular?

Could I remove a wheel to save weight and lower the rolling resistance effect or should I think about adding an extra wheel for greater stability?

Discuss

Sorry that jobs is already taken :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • [/quote]I pedal quite slowly and the wheels seem to turn round and roll along the road.

This is a common misconception. If you pay closer attention, you'll notice that after pedalling a bit, you are still on the bike and therefore your relative position has not changed. What in fact has happened is that when you pedal the bike, you stay still (because the bike is still in the same position beneath you, assuming that you're sitting on that pointy thing) but you in fact have caused the earth to rotate. The faster you pedal, the faster the world seems to rush towards you. The effort needed to keep the world spinning at speed can be quite tiring - Einstein's theory of relatives explains this with his E=MC2 ( Effort = Mass Cycled2)

Hope this clears that one up.
  • postscript: formatting is also subject to relativity
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    This is a common misconception. If you pay closer attention, you'll notice that after pedalling a bit, you are still on the bike and therefore your relative position has not changed. What in fact has happened is that when you pedal the bike, you stay still (because the bike is still in the same position beneath you, assuming that you're sitting on that pointy thing) but you in fact have caused the earth to rotate. The faster you pedal, the faster the world seems to rush towards you. The effort needed to keep the world spinning at speed can be quite tiring - Einstein's theory of relatives explains this with his E=MC2 ( Effort = Mass Cycled2)

This is absolutely factual, with no errors at all.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    whyamihere wrote:

Ah - this explains why the bloke on the Mountain Bike never catches me out of Botolph Claydon. We're fixed entities on a spinning globe. That makes me unbeatable. As long as I get there first.
  • whyamihere wrote:

Ah - this explains why the bloke on the Mountain Bike never catches me out of Botolph Claydon. We're fixed entities on a spinning globe. That makes me unbeatable. As long as I get there first.
    No, you are getting confused with an imaginary parallel universe.
  • I checked the bike this morning and notice that it came with two wheels, one at the front and one lined up behind it

If you turn your handlebars 90 degrees to one side, then your statement is no longer true.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

I just bought my daughter a new cycle for her birthday today.

I'm worried it might be broken. There are no handlebars, and it only has one wheel. It doesn't even have any brakes!

Still, I think it's pretty good in the street cred stakes; it's a fixed wheel.

pic here
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Bicycle - Lat. two wheels
  • Ah - this explains why the bloke on the Mountain Bike never catches me out of Botolph Claydon. We're fixed entities on a spinning globe. That makes me unbeatable. As long as I get there first.

You see; you are making a logically impossible statement

If the world moves around you, while AT THE SAME TIME moving around him, you could be said to be moving around each other. So at all times when cycling you CANNOT ever pass each other.

However, the world cannot be moving around you both, as logically it must be one and the same world, but both are causing it to spin; therefore either the world does not exist, you do not exist, or he does not exist.

Clearly from your perspective, YOU exist, the world exists (jump up and down and call me a liar) so logically HE does not exist.

Extrapolating from this then, NO ONE else exists...

This theorum is strengthened by Douglas Adam's claim that: given the Universe is infinite, there must be an inifinite number of planets. However not all planets are inhabited so there must be a finite number of inhabited planets. If you divide any finite number by inifinity the answer is as near to zero as makes no odds. Therefore the average population of the Universe must also be zero; so any people you see day to day are clearly the result of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams clearly supporting the theorum that no one else exists and I have a deranged imagination.

However, if this the case then THIS thread is also a product of my deranged imagination, as are you all and as I am, within yours.

Why am I typing this then? I do not know, it may be that I am imagining it and it, me, you and everything else does not exist. Or it may; as studying a thing defines its actuality by measuring it.

HOWEVER, according to Heisenbergs uncertainty principal: certain pairs of physical properties cannot be arbitrarily known - such as position and momentum. THEREFORE you cannot measure the speed and direction of another cyclist as these properties cannot be arbitrarily defined. The conclusion must be that as the thing cannot be measured, it does not exist and that clearly you are all the product of my deranged imagination, and any cyclists you may see when out on your bike, (which must also not exist) are also the products of your own deranged imaginations.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • However, if this the case then THIS thread is also a product of my deranged imagination, as are you all and as I am, within yours.

This is taking us into the contentious domain of radical self-doubt. Here, though, we can still learn much from Descarte's proposition:

Je pédale, donc je suis
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Douglas Adams clearly supporting the theorum that no one else exists and I have a deranged imagination.

However, if this the case then THIS thread is also a product of my deranged imagination, as are you all and as I am, within yours.

Also Douglas Adams doesn't exist, you've come up with that all on your own fight club styleee.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • My Bike has two wheels

How does it smell?
    FCN: 5
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

This is taking us into the contentious domain of radical self-doubt. Here, though, we can still learn much from Descarte's proposition:

Je pédale, donc je suis

Pedalo ergo sum?
  • prawny wrote:

Also Douglas Adams doesn't exist, you've come up with that all on your own fight club styleee.

Douglas Adams is God, and he has 13 fingers.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    PBo wrote:
    Pedalo ergo sum?

I am a pedal operated boat?
  • Big Wib wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Pedalo ergo sum?

I am a pedal operated boat?

they can do maths?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Pedalo ergo sum?

Wasn't that Flintoff's wave theorem?

Cogito is in fact Latin for ''I have a cog'', hence ''cogito, ergo sum.''
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Pedalo ergo sum?

Wasn't that Flintoff's wave theorem?

Cogito is in fact Latin for ''I have a cog'', hence ''cogito, ergo sum.''

I thought Flintoff's theorem was more along the lines of 'Bibendi ergo dunc'?

Does that mean that Descartes used at least a s/s if not a properly geared bike?
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    My Bike has two wheels

How does it smell?

awful

(groan) :roll:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sic transit gloria mundi - Gloria was sick in the van on Monday