New Wheel Help

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited September 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I currently have Mavic d521 non disc wheels with Deore hubs. I do XC riding and a few races where possible. I have found that they are a bit heavy & want to reduce weight from them. Firstly..does anyone know how heavy the wheels are? I have heard that they are 590g each!bit random i know but i'm asking in the hope that a bike geek may know the answer or am i correct in saying it is 590g.I know i could weigh them but i don't have access to scales.

What would be good, light wheels for me to buy that are V brake compatible & not too heafty on the bank balance? I have seen the non disc custom wheels that are on offer at Merlin cycles. Are they any good? Also would i save a bit of weight upgrading to at XT hub?

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• go for 717 on xt hubs with dt double butted spokes, reasonable light, pretty strong.

the main bonus of the xt hubs is the improved sealing.
  • go for 717 on xt hubs with dt double butted spokes, reasonable light, pretty strong.

Thanks for the help. Are the double butted spokes DT comp S/S? What is the difference between plain gauge and double butted?

Are the 717 light wheels?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Double butted spokes have a narrower middle section - they build into better wheels.

717 rims are about 180g lighter than the D521.

DB spokes will save you about 100g in total too.
  • 717 rims are about 180g lighter than the D521.

DB spokes will save you about 100g in total too.[/quote]

Do you mean they are 180g per wheel lighter or the two wheels together will save about 180g in weight?

You think 717 rims with an XT hub & DB spokes will do the job for decent light wheels?

Thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    180g EACH!

XT/717/DT DB spokes are a good, midweight combo for the money. (I say midweight because they are not as light as some, but will be about the lightest for the money)
  • Superb!!!

Two wheels on order for me tomorrow then.
    Are Merlin pretty good with their wheel builds and delivery time?

Thanks for your help people