Removing the driver from a BMX hub

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited September 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to change the driver on jr's BMX from an 11T to a 9T. Although the 11T driver just 'dropped in', it seems to want to stay where it is.

How do I get it out?

Please don't say use a rubber mallet :lol:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    should just "pull" out but anything may be holding it back from worn pawls and teeth ot a damaged axle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    nicklouse wrote:
    should just "pull" out
    So I'm told :(

When I fitted it, I had to hold the pawls closed while I pushed the driver into the hub body and then it just 'clicked' into place. I was wondering if I need to compress the pawls (somehow) when removing the driver?
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    It should just pull out, hold the hub with your left hand & the driver in your right then twist the driver whilst pulling/wiggling it.
    Some drivers have a cir-clip on the front of the driver you have to remove, have you checked that?
  • .blitz
    Salsa wrote:
    It should just pull out, hold the hub with your left hand & the driver in your right then twist the driver whilst pulling/wiggling it.
    Cheers. Which way do you twist the driver while pulling it out? If I turn it so that the pawls are engaged, it feels really solid but if I turn it in the 'freewheeling' direction there is hardly any rotation inbetween each 'click'. Is there a sweet spot where the driver will just slide out?
    Salsa wrote:
    Some drivers have a cir-clip on the front of the driver you have to remove, have you checked that?
    It's a Demolition cro-mo driver in a Demolition hub and all I had to do to fit it was hold the pawls closed and slide it into the hub body.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Sorry for the late reply, was at work.
    When the drivers face up turn it anti clockwise, pull & wiggle.
    A mate of mine has one of those Demolition's & he said he tried taking his driver out a week back & had loads of trouble, I'm sure he blamed the reverse thread that's on the left side of the axle. He said something about the cone nuts on that side tightening themselves pulling the driver in, I'm not sure that sounds right & would explain the problem but I'm sure that's what he said.
    I'll ask him when I see him next, but check the cones are not super tight just to rule it out.
  • .blitz
    Ok thanks for that Salsa. Not sure if the cone nuts are stopping it but I'll have a look.

It seems to me that there is a lip on the inside of the hub body that stops the driver coming out when the pawls are open. I had to close the pawls to get the driver in so I'm going to make a collar out of thin plastic, insert it between the pawls and the hub body and then hopefully the driver will come out.