Advice needed for my Yeti 575 build

barkmuncher
barkmuncher Posts: 10
edited September 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
Been a keen mtb rider for about 6 years now. I live in Norfolk so my bread and butter is the Thetford forest trails. I started off on a cheap hardtail and 3 years ago as I got more into my riding I aquired a Giant anthem which I upgraded with a xtr crank and a stans olympic/ dt 240 wheelset. I loved it, until that was a year ago I went on a trip to Wales for some trail centre riding!! It was like nothing I had done before and my bike did not feel suited, this led to several crashes as I tried to keep up with my mates on there 5 and 6 inch rigs. Since then I have rode Coed y brenin , Marin trail, Cli-mach, Lake district, Afan, Brecha, Altura trail, North face trail, glentress,Fort William ( the wc downhill course was too much for me and my anthem!), Laggan wolftrax, Dalbaetie, Ae, Mabie and other trails in Scotland that I cant spell! In this last year I added a riser bar and shortened my stem on my anthem and this helped but it still feels twitchy and I often get the feeling I am going to go over the bars on steep drops, although I have only done this a few times. I was going to put a 100mm fork on my Giant but I think I am trying to turn it into something it isn't so have decieded to keep it for thetford and build another bike for trail centre riding.
I have recently bought a second hand Yeti 575 frame 06 model that I think will do the job I want. I am going to get some avid juicy brakes like my anthem so that I can swap my wheels from one bike to the other and this should help to keep the weight down. I am not sure what fork to put on it or what length stem I will need. I am 6 foot1 and I have bought a large so i was thinking a 70mm stem or perhaps even a 50mm and a layback seatpost any advice would be appreciated. as for the forkk I was looking at the Revalation 426 forks but was not sure if i could get away without the u-turn for the climbs. My giant had a 80mm fork so i had no probs with the climbs, generally I am not one for locking out suspension or changing settings on the move, I am not sure though how a 140 mm fork will effect me on a very steep climb. Any advice esspecially of other yeti 575 owners would be great.
Thanks for your time, Pete :)

Comments

• Hi Pete, firstly congrats with your 575 & welcome to the Tribe :D
    I feel a 140mm fork is the right balance and preferred choice of most owners and having done the steep climb at Afan had no problems with the front lifting. With your height I'm thinking the setup of a 70/90mm stem combined with a layback post would be a great benchmark to try.
    I didn't use the lockout on the forks with mine at Afan but found the propedal useful on the long fireroads there. Overall the 575 does climb very well indeed.
    Have a look at

http://www.yetifan.com/

for good info & advice.