Absolute beginner to cycling!

2»

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Have to disagree with an earlier poster - a performance hybrid can be a very fast bike- something like THIS won't hang around if its got the right engine on it, plus the discs will out perform a road bikes brakes. However, only you can decide which is right for you and the best way is to not just sit on a few but preferably ride a few as well. You think about it logically, weigh up all the pros and cons and then forget that and go with whatever floats your boat :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    As someone who was in your shoes only two years ago, I'd say road bike 100%.

But what to get? I would disagree with whoever said get the best bike or spend as much as you can? IMO I would get what would be classed as an "entry" level road bike of some sort to start with? Then get out there and enjoy for a while.

Don't part with any cash until you have riden a couple of bikes first, and make sure your happy with the size of the frame.

Then in 6 or 12 months time you'll have a much better idea of:
    1) if road bikes are for you
    2) what type of road bike you want
    3) If you want campag or Shim or Sram
    4) Carbon or not
    5) race or sportive
    etc etc. and then go buy another one!

Don't forget all the other stuff you'll want & need to get going? Puncture repair kit. Saddle bag. Pump. Helmet. pedals, shoes, clothing, gloves, lights etc etc. You must consider these things because they don't come free. My first bike cost £500 quid, but I spent about another £500 on all sorts in the preceeding months that followed! If your not careful you'll buy a £1000 beast of a bike, and 6 months later it will be on ebay!

Happy hunting :D
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/