Self Adhesive Patches

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited October 2009 in Workshop
Does anyone use these for long term repairs?

I ask as I completely mucked up my repair job last week with the conventional method and to be honest would rather just patch on the road and continue with the same tube.

I am specifically looking at the Park Tools Puncture Repair Kit Super Patch.

I usually inflate to 115 PSI

Comments

• I always use the Park patches and they work for me. just make sure the tube is clean and dry where you're going to stick the patch then use the sand paper to slightly roughen the area and wipe clean again before applying. I consider them long term repairs.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I always used to carry the Park self adhesive patches.
    They are OK on some tubes but on lighter ones I found that when inflated the tube would slowly tear underneath until it went past the patch and went down again.
    Now I only use Tiptop patches with glue, simply the best there is.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    For the 3-4 punctures I get a year, I just carry spare tubes.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    spare tube first choice, then the patch after wards if needed, but never a long term repair,just get me home then dump the tube. I had one decide to let go on the next ride, not going to make that mistake again. Not like I get through many tubes a year,maybe 3-4, and only use the patches on 1 or 2 depending on the bloody farmers cutting the hedges.
  • I do both;

If / When I get a pun#ure I fit spare and fix other with a sticky patch, justin case I get another. :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do both;

If / When I get a pun#ure I fit spare and fix other with a sticky patch, justin case I get another. :D

Do you not get your wife and kids to follow you in the car wherever you go?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    NapoleonD wrote:
    For the 3-4 punctures I get a year, I just carry spare tubes.

I too carry spare tubes.

Just want some extra protection :wink:
  • Just to prove there's every combination in use, I carry 1 spare tube and some park self adhesive patches - smaller than a TipTop kit. Never had to use one of the patches mind, I've no idea if they work..... :shock:
  • I also carry a spare tube and patches. I'll patch if I'm in no hurry and use the spare tube if I am and patch the other when I get home. I don't like throwing away tubes until they have at least 4 repairs because it's just wasteful to create more unnecessary trash. I've had to resort to using my spare tube a few times due to the valve tearing so a patch kit would have been of no use.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I had problems with the green self adhesive patches called (I think) Skabs. I used 3 before giving up and going back to less costly plain old black self adhesive ones from Draper. The problem with the Skabs was that they didn't seem to stick well enough to get more than about 50psi in the tyre. A Draper patch worked well on Sunday on my sons bike.

Gavin.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I've used them for years and they have been pretty good. I think I've only once had a flat resulting from the patch gradually detaching from the tube over a period of time.
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    I have used the Park patches for years without any issue, but mainly om MTB's so lower pressures and a larger tube.
    The one interesting* thing I have found is that the Park Patches only appear to have a shelf life of 10 years :roll: as my first packet still sticks on, but then the patch disintegrates under pressure :)
    I have bought a second set now, and finally threw away the 10 year old ones!

I am am subscriber to the "spare tube & patches" approach though, as one spare tube only fixes one puncture :(

Neil

*"interesting" is obviously a relative term in this context, my wife was not at all fascinated when I informed her of this remarkable occurrence...
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    When I was a young, very poor and bike commuter I couldn't afford innertubes and always patched as a long term repair (the old fashioned way with chalk, glue and sandpaper :wink: ).

You may laugh, but I once had 12 patches on one tube before I could afford to replace it :oops: . When inflated it looked like a snake with a few snacks inside it :lol: . Looking back, I probably had very poor quality tyres as I rarely get punctures now.

I now prefer to patch and reuse once - not out of economic necessity but to save wastage I suppose :roll: .